Where's Oak Ridge?

Rebel Nation

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew, was without power until around 3 a.m. last night.

After a slow first series, Quarles and his plug-and-play system were sure impressive. Oak Ridge stopped the young Rebels on the first 10 plays rather easy. The Wildcats moved the ball down the field, but a fumble on play 8 or so ended their threat.

The next few series were simply a domination by the Rebels. They played much better and were the better team, no question about it.

They reeled off four scores, before Oak Ridge could answer late in the action as younger players were playing for both teams. The part that really shocks me is the play of Oak Ridge's secondary. I really thought, with all of them returning from last year, they would be a team strength. I find myself scratching my head when I watch them now, wondering what has happened.

Due to sun location, I walked the Maryville sidelines and took photos and really wanted to say what a classy program they have. Never heard a bit of trash talking, the players seemed to really be in tune with the game and respectful of Oak Ridge.

Before people start trying to send a U-haul to Stanton Stevens house, I actually came out feeling better about the Wildcats than when the scrimmage started. I thought some players looked really good and while Spencer Gulmire was hurt, they decided to let him play a little and he ran the ball well. Some others looked good as well, but it was the first live action with their new system in place and it's not like it was against 'easy' competition.

Oak Ridge will be the kind of team that will make progress week-to-week. I have seen the trend before and thankfully, their schedule looks like the kind that will accomodate a team learning new things. Now, if we can just keep folks from hitting the panic button too soon, everything will be OK.

You can view/purchase pictures of the scrimmage at the Oak Ridge Football Boosters Picture website:

www.orwildcats.smugmug.com

I'm with Tank, considering all the changes I was pleased to see the 'Cats as a "transition in progress" and that they will get better week to week with the practice. Probably why Stevens scheduled 3 back to back scrimmages.

Go get 'em Cats! thumb

Writing from Arkansas,

I really wanted to be there last night. Unfortunately, it sounds like a replay from last year's JV action (where the players, with few exceptions were pretty much the same). Tank, very well said, I think anyone would expect similar results. However, I don't think enough has been said about the change in defensive schemes and that learning curve. But, learn they will. Looking forward to the Alcoa scrimmage.

Maryville looked very good. They are a well coached program with some very good talent. They looked sharp. They played a lot of players and showed some depth. Execution and timing was the difference in the scrimmage.

New offense, new defense, new coach. I am not hitting the button. Tank made a very good point about Oak Ridges schedule. And anyone underestimating the secondary should be ashamed lol. The whole secondary scheme has changed. Their assingments and responsibilities are totally different than last year. The scheme they ran last year was the same they had been running since the seventh grade. With exception to Bingham the guys that play back there have been starting there together since the seventh grade. Although Coffee was the only one that started varsity their sophmore year. So go ahead and underestimate them. Once the thinking ends and the reactions begin they will live up to every word of praise they have been given. Thats a promise from the good hands people. Parris was nursing a very very sore hip and the starting secondary was not in the game at the same time very much at all. As long as there is improvment week to week The Cats will be peaking at exactly the right time.

Edited by Wildmanfan

The Maryville-O.R. scrimmage is always a good learning tool. Last season I thought O.R. outplayed Maryville. This year Maryville played better. Both teams have a lot of work to do and that's what scrimmages are for.

Since as far back as I can remember we have scrimmaged O.R. In the 70's when MHS won championships in AA and O.R. in AAA, no one wanted to scrimmage either team. So Emory Hale and Ted Wilson just got together and said let's scrimmage each other. The rest is history and it benefits both teams greatly.

Good Luck to O.R. this season and against the very talented Alcoa Tornadoes on Tuesday.

STARS is correct. Oak Ridge and Maryville has scrimmaged as long as I can remember.

This is cut n paste from my post on Rebelnation

I was very pleased with the scrimmage today. Maryville started out slow on their 1st series. After that the offense played much better. I was very happy to see Derek Hunt play well. Derek ran the option well today. Derek threw the ball well today. The offensive line got stronger as the game went along. Tyler Maples played well today. All the running backs ran well today. If I was a college coach I would want Ryan Tallent. He is a stud.Aaron Douglas will be a big help at tight end.

Defense looked great even though Matt Valentine and Jon Lawhon didn't play. Linebackers is so deep. Kat Kimsey,Tanner Caylor and Landon Hall all played well. Defensive line played well. The secondary will get a huge boost with Curtis Tate and Ryan Tallent. Tallent killed #33 for Oak Ridge. That hit set the tone.

Maryville beat Oak Ridge without 4 starters. Oak Ridge looks like they are changing their offense. I think they need to stick to the offense they ran last year.

I am having to post on my dads computer. For some strange reason my computer won't let me get on the coachT board. My computer is shot anyway. I plan on getting me a new one in a week or so.

Just for all you RedRebel fans, Knox Central scrimmaged Region 4-4A favorite Rhea County on Thursday In Cookeville, and the Bobcats dominated both sides of the ball winning 49-0. A number of kids saw action including several Freshman. The Cats seem to have much more balance in the offense with several capable receivers and a MUCH improved O-Line since last spring. The weakness for the BobCats right now would be overall depth. Ill tell you there are more capable freshman players than sophomores.

Im glad to hear Quarles indicate there will be a few 2 way players for the RedRebels as that is uncommon for Maryville. In my opinion if Maryville manages a win against Alcoa, it will be a HUGE boost for that young offense, and then LookOut.

Tank, you guys have loads of talent. You'll be better than what you showed Friday.

If anyone wants to see free video, see it below...no charge...(Rebel Chat button)

The OR booster club is active and I wish ours was more like your all's...Tina is a class act....but chargin for scrimmage photos? :huh:

Also, this seems like a house divided, like in the coaching search. Isn't this site the booster site: ORHS Wildcat Football

I have it on good word that it is the "official" booster site.

Edited by Rebel Nation