Blount Co Jamboree

ATCPT

MLREB the overall achievement was that Alcoa walked away with a victory and won 3 of the halftime events.  U have seen what we have and what other teams don't.  That's what we have.  But i'm not gonna bag on anybody so good luck to maryville in exclusion to our game.  See ya soon.

825716411[/snapback]

Does anyone really care who wins these halftime events?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wearing "cowards of the county" t-shirts is immature.  That being said, we're talking about high school aged kids.  So...i don't see what the big deal is.  Kids are going to be kids.  It's not hurting anybody.

825716055[/snapback]

wow !! this is a first , i agree with p9 , and disagree with the Govman !! i equate those tee shirts to the Rebel flag . adults micro-managing these kids is not the answer . i feel sorry for the kids growing up today , they're not allowed to have any fun at all it seems . geeez , a little harmless ribbing was to be expected wasn't it ?? a few adults got their panties in a wad , so no flag of any kind is now allowed at Maryville .

flags , shredded flags , witty tee shirts , a little ribbing , a few well rehearsed chants , none of this hurts anyone . " Class " is actually respecting your opponent ( You CAN respect someone , while doing a little playful teasing ) ,playing fair and square , shaking hands afterwards , and wishing them all the best , and really meaning it . What's next ?? uniforms for all kids , and a library atmosphere where the kids have to raise their hand for permission to clap ?? zero tolerance and constant fear of " offending " someone .... poor kids , when they grow up they'll all be on prozac , and zanax .

Edited by pepvol

Let's get real here:

The fastest kid in the county is probably some trouble-maker sitting in class at Alcoa who doesn't play sports because he's too burnt out, too lazy or too much of a trouble maker. It's been that way for years. If they had all the guys play that could have through the 90's they would have had a run similar to this decade.

wow !! this is a first , i agree with p9 , and disagree with the Govman !! i equate those tee shirts to the Rebel flag . adults micro-managing these kids is not the answer . i feel sorry for the kids growing up today , they're not allowed to have any fun at all it seems . geeez , a little harmless ribbing was to be expected wasn't it ?? a few adults got their panties in a wad , so no flag of any kind is now allowed at Maryville .

flags , shredded flags , witty tee shirts , a little ribbing , a few well rehearsed chants , none of this hurts anyone . " Class " is actually respecting your opponent ( You CAN respect someone , while doing a little playful teasing )  ,playing fair and square ,  shaking hands afterwards , and wishing them all the best , and really meaning it . What's next ?? uniforms for all kids , and a library atmosphere where the kids have to raise their hand for permission to clap ?? zero tolerance and constant fear of " offending " someone .... poor kids , when they grow up they'll all be on prozac , and zanax .

825716567[/snapback]

Pep,

You make some good points. I'm probably a little sensitive ... I hate to see our kids suffer the consequences of a decision they had nothing to do with. As a parent, I wouildn't allow my kids to wear the shirt in question, but I promise you, I'm far from "zero tolerance" and unnecessary political correctness. (sp?) I also wouldn't allow them to wear the "Confederate Flag" ... not because I'm trying to be a tyrant or dictator, but because for me it conjures up thoughts of the terrible injustices that blacks and other minorities have suffered. I want to teach my kids that if there if something they can or can not do (such as wearing a flag or an overly offensive t-shirt) to help make this world a better place, then they should. And before anyone tries to put me on the slippery slope to "complete left-wing liberalism", there is a point that I believe we must be willing to take a stand, to make our views known, to use civil disobedience if necessary. But for me, the Confederate Flag is not that issue.

The year (probably the only year ever) that WB beat all three of the county schools, I proudly wore a shirt that called us County Champs on front and showed all the scores of the game on the back. I was ok with that. But the shirts like "no matter what, we both beat Maryville" (a shirt WB/Heritage kids had one year) or the camo shirt I saw on a Heritage fan the other night that said, "I'm for Heritage and whoever is playing Maryville". I just don't like those. That's my personal opinion, I won't try to force it on the world, but I'll try to teach it to my own kids.

And if you'll read the earlier posts, you'll see that I said I would have probably been one of the kids wearing the "Coward" shirts when I was in high school. I'd just like to see adults maybe stand up and be heard every now and then and not foster ideas to insult and degrade WB and Heritage kids who had no vote on whether to play Alcoa or not.

Yep, too bad GovMan that the Maryville school board refused to work with the kids at MHS and try to find common ground.....a compromise.....a solution. You know, a flag that could be used that all sides could live with, instead of hiding behind a "safety" policy.

The Alcoa game will be interesting since they are the only school in Blount county now, with no flag policy.

Pep,

You make some good points.  I'm probably a little sensitive ... I hate to see our kids suffer the consequences of a decision they had  nothing to do with.  As a parent, I wouildn't allow my kids to wear the shirt in question, but I promise you, I'm far from "zero tolerance" and unnecessary political correctness. (sp?)  I also wouldn't allow them to wear the "Confederate Flag" ... not because I'm trying to be a tyrant or dictator, but because for me it conjures up thoughts of the terrible injustices that blacks and other minorities have suffered.  I want to teach my kids that if there if something they can or can not do (such as wearing a flag or an overly offensive t-shirt) to help make this world a better place, then they should.  And before anyone tries to put me on the slippery slope to "complete left-wing liberalism", there is a point that I believe we must be willing to take a stand, to make our views known, to use civil disobedience if necessary.  But for me, the Confederate Flag is not that issue.

The year (probably the only year ever) that WB beat all three of the county schools, I proudly wore a shirt that called us County Champs on front and showed all the scores of the game on the back.  I was ok with that.  But the shirts like "no matter what, we both beat Maryville" (a shirt WB/Heritage kids had one year) or the camo shirt I saw on a Heritage fan the other night that said, "I'm for Heritage and whoever is playing Maryville".  I just don't like those.  That's my personal opinion, I won't try to force it on the world, but I'll try to teach it to my own kids.

And if you'll read the earlier posts, you'll see that I said I would have probably been one of the kids wearing the "Coward" shirts when I was in high school.  I'd just like to see adults maybe stand up and be heard every now and then and not foster ideas to insult and degrade WB and Heritage kids who had no vote on whether to play Alcoa or not.

825716609[/snapback]

You make some good points too Govman , and i guess i'm a little sensitive right now because of the flag issue . I guess for someone who's never ran onto that field and looked up and saw those flags waving and the students going nuts , it's hard to understand how we could be so defensive about that flag . I just think that the school board deciding to use oppression to fight a symbol that in their eyes stood for oppression is pure hypocricy . Political correctness is ruining this nation .

sorry for getting this post off topic , i'll shut up now !! :D

You make some good points too Govman , and i guess i'm a little sensitive right now because of the flag issue . I guess for someone who's never ran onto that field and looked up and saw those flags waving and the students going nuts , it's hard to understand how we could be so defensive about that flag . I just think that the school board deciding to use oppression to fight a symbol that in their eyes stood for oppression is pure hypocricy . Political correctness is ruining this nation .

sorry for getting this post off topic , i'll shut up now !!  :P

825716679[/snapback]

You say that used to love running out on to the field with the flags flying, but does that mean everyone shared your same emotion? Carl Stewart (former Maryville player) wrote a response in the Maryville Daily Times about how he used to hate running on to the field with the entire student section waving the confederate flag. Just because it gave use some since of heigthend euphoria does not mean it does everyone. To an African-American the same symbol that is used by many of the racial groups (anti-black) in America being used as your schools flag seems a little degrading to not only to him or herself but to the entire African-American community in Maryville and Alcoa.

Let's get real here: 

The fastest kid in the county is probably some trouble-maker sitting in class at Alcoa who doesn't play sports because he's too burnt out, too lazy or too much of a trouble maker.  It's been that way for years.  If they had all the guys play that could have through the 90's they would have had a run similar to this decade.

825716581[/snapback]

Thats incredibly rude for one and for two when Mr. Walker was playing Pee-wee ball so were the troublemakers you formention and he beat them then too. Alcoa will always have wanna be thugs but at least they aren't making death threats based on race. You can have your opinions but please other than the topic of sports try not to make them so bias.

I'm I the only Heritage fan on this board? My response on the Cowards of the county tees are BIG DEAL. Let them wear any thing they want to. All I know is that Alcoa came out ahead at the end. Look who they picked up, Fulton (two time state champs 3A) and Macallie. Wow what an upgrade for them. Now they will have to strap it up. No more "easy" wins for them. WB and Heritage doesn't have to play them. I know one thing if the Alcoa fans would show up for the away games maybe they would still be playing them Lets face it money talks. Hey Gov man about how many Alcoa fans showed up last year at WB? I know out at Heritage the fan numbers from Alcoa are always down. When Maryville comes out the stands are packed. That is why Heritage or WB will never drop Maryville.

I'm I the only Heritage fan on this board? My response on the Cowards of the county tees are BIG DEAL.  Let them wear any thing they want to.  All I know is that Alcoa came out ahead at the end.  Look who they picked up, Fulton (two time state champs 3A) and Macallie.  Wow what an upgrade for them. Now they will have to strap it up.  No more "easy" wins for them.  WB and Heritage doesn't have to play them. I know one thing if the Alcoa fans would show up for the away games maybe they would still be playing them Lets face it money talks. Hey Gov man about how many Alcoa fans showed up last year at WB?  I know out at Heritage the fan numbers from Alcoa are always down.  When Maryville comes out the stands are packed. That is why Heritage or WB will never drop Maryville.

825716961[/snapback]

Alcoa only has 400 or so kids in the school versus WB and heritage who have what close to 2000 thats where the fan base comes from but then again thats why I think teams should play in or close to their classifications.

Coach, do you have a problem with people posting the truth?

Just curious...

825717078[/snapback]

Coachspet1449 has a point. Alcoa has only 400 students with the rest of the high schools close to 2000. U will always have more fans. It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Oh wait i forgot ya'll don't learn to much at Heritage or WB. We have the better sports and the school. Next time u want a math lesson on football fans at a game just post a thread.