Maryville At Central -

MLREB

All these outlandish predictions are a little humourous. Don't lull yourself into thinking Central will be easy or another blowout victim tonight. Central is a very good team with outstanding Senior leadership. I wouldn't expect Zach to make the mistakes tonight that have killed his team in the past. David Gaston is a stud and the kind of back that is very hard to tackle. David has speed, strength, and is a tough runner. I predict he will be the best back the Rebels will face all year. They also have tallent at WR so don't expect their offense to be silent, they will put points on the board.

Defensively Central returns 10 of 11 starters from last years team. Their d-line is not big but they are quick. Linebacker play is excellent and their D-backs are fast. The Maryville offense will have to play well. Our O-lineman will be challenged with Central's speed and blocking holes for the running game. Backs will need to go north - south tonight to be successful. QB's must limit mistakes and the Maryville RB's and WR's have to hold on to the ball. If Maryville has a zero to 1 turnover game then Maryville wins. If not then Central has a great chance to pull this one out.

Should be another classic highschool game between two excellent teams.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Helton is the centerpiece of the offense and has to play safety on defense is a big minus for Central. The coaches are asking him to do too much. Similar to Cody Watts. Cody was asked to do too much against Maryville and thus made mistakes as the game went on.

IMO the decision of the Powell coaches to play Cody and most of the starters the full game cost them the Farragut game. Cody and their top WR were banged up late in the Maryville game and obviously were not 100% versus Farragut. Not very smart in if yo ask me.

IMO the decision of the Powell coaches to play Cody and most of the starters the full game cost them the Farragut game. Cody and their top WR were banged up late in the Maryville game and obviously were not 100% versus Farragut. Not very smart in if yo ask me.

Those were my exact thoughts as i left the Maryville / WB game and was listening to the Powell / Farragut game on the radio . i don't know if the injury for Cody was directly related to the Maryville game , but it sure couldn't have helped him be at his best. Mystery coaching of the year , IMO .

The Maryville / Central game is huge in that i do believe it is the game for home field advantage once again this year . I thought Powell was going to make this a 3 team race , but not so sure now . If Central is going to beat Maryville , they will have to play great defense , and limit mistakes and turnovers . Their offense will have to be a lot more than Helton & Gaston , because the Maryville defense is so quick and fundamentally sound this year , that a team will have to be unpredictable to score on them . Maryville's offense just needs to be steady and patient , turning the field position over may be just as important as scoring in this game . I'm looking forward to seeing a great game between two of the best teams in the state . BTW , Helton is a great high school football player ... period . He plays with a lot of guts and determination . I admire the heck out of him , as any true competitor would . Anyone who can't respect the passion he brings to the game of football , probably never played .

With the exception of last years 56-10 routing, no other Maryville vs. Central game has been decided by more than about 6 points. I really think that tonight's game will be much the same. Central is claiming to have a great team, and so far it seems that they do, and Maryville.... well, they are Maryville.

This game will be won by the team with the fewest mistakes as it always it. Usually that goes to the more disciplined team which in this case I would have to give to Maryville.

Maryville 27

Central 24

what are yall doin i thought this was serious comments

With the exception of last years 56-10 routing, no other Maryville vs. Central game has been decided by more than about 6 points. I really think that tonight's game will be much the same. Central is claiming to have a great team, and so far it seems that they do, and Maryville.... well, they are Maryville.

This game will be won by the team with the fewest mistakes as it always it. Usually that goes to the more disciplined team which in this case I would have to give to Maryville.

Maryville 27

Central 24

i think thats a pretty good score

Both Central and Maryville are at the top of 4a football. They have several things in common Both are red and black, both are open zone schools so they have players form outside their school zones, both have hard working dedicated players, and both have a proud history of high school football.

Lets compare the two teams.

Q.B.ADVANTAGE CENTRAL because of experience and his ability to break contain and make a big play. Helton having to play D.B. takes away some of this advantage.

R.B. EVEN although Gaston going both ways may give Maryville a slight advantage. Centrals F.B. is just a gorlified guard.

W.R EVEN Cruze is the biggest threat for the Cats but he is no Terrance Scott. Maryville has several good recievers but none that really scare you.

OL. ADVANTAGE MARYVILLE. Centrals biggest weakness.

DL. ADVANTAGE MARYVILLE Big and tough. Centrals DL will present some problems because of their quickness.

L.B. EVEN It would be hard for me to image a set of L.B.'s better than Centrals. But rumor has it that Maryville's group is just as good.

D.B.'s ADVANTAGE MARYVILLE Central has had a hard time covering this year. Maryville is solid if not excellent in the Defensive backfiled.

KICKING ADVANTAGE CENTRAL. If it comes down to a kicking contest Central wins If I am not mistaken Maryville has had a few miscues in the kicking game. If Gaston is the return man Central will score one T.D. on a kick return.

Coaching ADVANTAGE MARYVILLE. Hate to admit it but he is the BEST around. If Central isn't significantly better athletically they will get beat.

Athletisism Advantage Central big time

This is going to be a heck of a game. I think Maryville is better because they are better up front. If they can pound the ball on Central and keep it away from them they will win. On the other hand if they give Central enough offensive chances Central will break a couple of big plays and they will come out on top. I look for the latter to happen.

Central 17 Maryville 16 Maryville misses a PAT