CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

shadow, You are so right about the Central High Golden Tornadoes. Also, enjoyed some great basketball games at that little cracker box gym. Had the high tile walls and fans hanging over the top. Great environment. As you mentioned, a wonderful setting for a school. Oh, for the good ole days.

shadow, You are so right about the Central High Golden Tornadoes. Also, enjoyed some great basketball games at that little cracker box gym. Had the high tile walls and fans hanging over the top. Great environment. As you mentioned, a wonderful setting for a school. Oh, for the good ole days.

Very true, and we always hosted the 19th District basketball tourney in our gym. Remember the booster club parked cars on our football field during fair week to raise money.

Lord some of you guys are old, me I'm even older. An old Everett Bulldog........

VTEC,

High School Heroes of my youth ... see if any ring a bell:

Ricky Kenny - Bobby Nick - Doug Garner - Mike Patton - "Super" Cosby? - Mark Stinnett - Kenny Teffeteller - Scot "Jacques" Kidd - Terry Rutherford - Ronnie Waters - Kenny Talbot ...

There's more, but my memory fails me right now. From around '72 - '76, I spent a lot of time up "on the hill" on Friday nights watching football and then basketball following that. My sister was a student, and my momma loved sports.

I guess I should also mention -- Gaye Teffeteller; Karen Keyes ? (I was in love with her but she was too old); Robin Burchfield (was it Burchfield then, or is that her married name? I can't remember).

Kirkman was the Golden Hawks. Just straight-up closed, as were the Riverside Trojans (whose building is now Arts and Sciences).

Etowah was presumably folded into McMinn Central. Madisonville was merged with Vonore, creating Sequoyah.

(Several have also occurred just across the border from Chattanooga. Ridgeland was Chattanooga Valley and Rossville, NW Whitfield was North Whitfield and Westside, SE Whitfield was Valley Point and Eastbrook, and Dade County was Dade County and Davis--the merger was for quite some time called NW Georgia. On the Alabama side, North Jackson was once Bridgeport and Stevenson.)

From West Tennessee:

Humboldt Stigall Hornets

Milan Polk-Clark Buffaloes

Alamo (nickname unknown) (merged with others to form Crockett County)

Jackson High Golden Bears (merged with Merry to form JCM)

Jackson Merry (nickname unknown) (merged with Jackson to form JCM)

Jackson Old Hickory Academy Generals? (merged with Episcopal Day School to form USJ)

Brownsville Tennessee Academy (nickname unknown)

Sharon (nickname unknown) (merged with Martin in 1970's to form Westview. Later reopened as a football-playing high school in 1990's. Don't know if they are now closed or if they just dropped football.)

Denmark West (nickname unknown)

Some others in northeast Tennessee were:

Fall Branch Cardinals - combined with Boones Creek Bars (Daniel boone's spelling of Bears) and Sulphur Springs to form Daniel Boone

Blountville Tigers - combined with Holston to form Sullivan Central.

Mary Hughes, Bluff City and Holston Valley combined to form Sullivan East.

Lynn View Lynxes and Ketron Wildcats combined to make Sullivan North.

Church Hill Panthers and Surgoinsville Eagles combined to form Volunteer.

Rogersville Warriors and Bulls Gap combined to form Cherokee

Sullivan (referred to as Sullivan West) Pirates was combined with part of the Sullivan Central district to form Sullivan South.

Jonesboro was combined with, I believe, Lamar and maybe one or two others to form David Crockett.

Erwin Blue Devils now Unicoi County - may have been consolidated with another school.

Not all of the schools mentioned played football. I could not be sure about some of them so I did not attempt to name the ones that did and the ones that did not.

Erwin has always had only one high school.....Unicoi County. Founded in 1922, played under name Erwin high for a while but always officially covered the entire county. Funny, we used to be the yellow jackets for a little while before becoming the Blue Devils in the late 30's-early 40's I believe.