7AA First team

stuntwoman

Congratulations to Livingston Academy and Coach Melton, the TRUE Coach of the Year.

The TRUE coach of the year is the coach who has the most votes cast for him. Not the person who has the most votes after all but one ballot has been counted.

You know, I wish someone who knew what really happened would clear up this bologna!! Do the coaches vote by ranking more than 1 player or coach? If not, how can 1 vote change who won? If only 1 vote was lost how could that change the total from one player or coach to another? With my limited knowledge of algebra, I think that could only make it a tie at most. Sounds a little strange to me!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Livingston Academy and Coach Melton, the TRUE Coach of the Year.

The TRUE coach of the year is the coach who has the most votes cast for him. Not the person who has the most votes after all but one ballot has been counted.

Just heard they announced the MRF award. DeKalb got that too!! MRF---Most Ruthless Fans!!! ;););)

Being from the Sivlerpoint area, I know Coach Martin and Coach McWIlliams pretty good. I know for a fact that Martin believes what everyone else has stated that Coach Melton should have been coach of the year without question. The coach in question was Macons coach wondering why Stinson was not MVP or why he wasnt voted higher. This seemed to bring about the questions. Thats the facts i got from the people from Baxter. Cates is the best no doubt about. Great player and person and definitely the glue to the team. N2Deep that is where all the questions came from. Just clearing things up. Melton is a heck of a coach that did an outstanding job in his first year. Definitely the cream of the district. Livingston will go has far as they want to. The lady at the paper is the one that misplaced the ballot and that is the reason for all confusion but would not have been noticed if the coach had not been inquiring about his player in question. Stinson is great but everyone would love to have Wilson Cates.

you raise an interesting point. how did macon's coach know what his player "should" have been ranked? Unless you've decided something beforehand, how would you know what the vote should be???????? I think you we just figured out what went on here.

I went to the girls 7AA District Tournament last night and was looking at 7AA All District Teams booklet. It says that the coach of the year for district 7AA was coach Melton of LA and that Wilson Cates from LA and Stinson from Macon Co. got co-mvps. Is this correct or are the books wrong?

Edited by Wildcats#1

Oh, I am sorry. Most coaches of the year, and MVP's have LOSING records. LOL. Give me a break, apparently this was an inside job from the very beginning. How can a team that goes undefeated get shafted out of almost ALL the awards. Ridiculous how things work out when people obviously put their heads together. Anyways, in almost anyone's opinion, with the exception of the two "winners" teams, Melton and someone from LA (Monday in my opinion), should have won those awards. Anyways good luck to the Cats in the District tourney, and they should definitely prove who should get those awards during the tournaments.

On the MVP award coaches rank the players 16-1 with 16 being the best. Coaches dont vote for own players. 16 would essentially be who you think is your MVP. For coach of the year coaches rank a 3-2-1 vote. With 3 being who you think did the best job own down. So essentially they vote for 3 coaches. Defensive player of the year was a 6-1 with 6 being who you thought was the best defensive player same goes for Freshman of the Year. This is what i got from asking around i dont know if this helps or is a bad thing but this is how it is done. Other districts do it differently talking to people in 7-A.

OK.Here it goes. They counted the ballots and Melton and Martin tied for coach of the year. They announced a tie with 3 votes each.Everyone assumed 1 coach of the 7 voted for someone other than these 2. They revoted with only Melton and Martin as options to vote for.Melton won.Then they realized later on that the lady counting the votes did not count one teams ballot. When they counted the original 7 (all seven) ballots,Martin had won 4-3. You may disagree by saying Melton went undefeated etc. etc.,but The coaches chose Martin. Something about doing a good or great coaching job within the district with injuries,less talent, etc. I think most coaches judge their peers on district performance and not the whole schedule.They felt DeKalb's 8-4 was a better coaching job than 12-0 from Livingston. Now we all set around and judge these men and say things like,"So you think you could have done as good a job as Melton." Well,If your arguement is that,then we must admit we probably couldn't. As well we probably couldn't choose the COY any better either. So..... I thank the Coaches for their pick.Congrats to Martin.

As for MVP. Same situation.The lost ballot ranked Stinson high enough to make him MVP.

PS. It looks like the lost ballot was not favorable to Livingston right? Then I hear the lost ballot was ......You guessed it... Livingston's.

So maybe in an admirable attempt to be modest, the Livingston ballot sealed their fate.

Now regardless of these winners, I expect LA to win the tourney and represent our district well in the region and hopefully on to state, but we shouldn't forget these awards are not based on post season. If Stinson does nothing in the tourney and Cates averages a 100 a game, the coaches weren't voting on that. Likewise, if Melton wins the state as coach and national coach of the year and DeKalb loses in the first round of region it doesn't matter.If Stinson scores 437 against LA, it doesn't validate the pick. If Martin out-coaches Melton in the finals...well you get the picture. All these picks were based on 7 peoples opinions LAST WEEK. THe important thing to remember is their opinions matter and ours don't when it comes to these selctions. Heck I'd give COY to CANNON because he's still breathing.

Congrats to the winners.

This is the story I got. I was not there.Thank goodness.

Edited by stuntwoman

Ok I've read all the unintelligent post I'm going to read from the Livingston fans and others without posting something myself. This is the problem that I knew was going to come when we (Macon) moved back to 7AA. We are treated like outsiders and we are hated, we know that and personally don't care. But this whole thing with the Citizen-Herald stinks to high heaven. When you are tabilating the votes you need to be extremely careful and not screw it up and obviously caution was not used. Wilson Cates is a fine player, don't get me wrong but MVP, really you guys gotta be joking. He isn't even the best player on his team. Stinson led the district in scoring and without him this year we might have been fighting for the cellar. Stinson has been automatic for us and no one has been able to stop him. No doubt he is MVP, not even a consideration. It just sounds like to me the good ol' boy system got us. We know out in 7AA they are going to take care of their own and we aren't considered own and once again thats perfectly fine. I just hate it how the Citizen-Herald wasn't man enough to name Stinson sole MVP after the whole screwing. But I do have some inside info that the paper was going to talk to Coach Melton and ask him if he still wanted to keep Cates MVP despite knowing that he didn't receive the amount of votes that Stinson did. Either way its a rotten deal and someone needs to be held accountable. Plus on another note and I've harped on this for a few years now when district play rolls around......you guys get one good team over here (this year LA) and think they are going to roll through region and to state. Last year it was the same as you guys thought LA was going to roll and they got beat in the first round of region on their own home court!! Though Lipscomb and MLK are in other districts now and are not in the region, 7AA still cannot play with 8AA. I do think LA can win their first game but that will be it. As I've said before, not enough athletes this way to keep up with those teams come post season time. We found out the hard way by playing in that district for four years. Absolutely brutal and when region rolls around you guys find this out but your memory, like your vote counting, seems to remember on the convenient things.

Ok I've read all the unintelligent post I'm going to read from the Livingston fans and others without posting something myself. This is the problem that I knew was going to come when we (Macon) moved back to 7AA. We are treated like outsiders and we are hated, we know that and personally don't care. But this whole thing with the Citizen-Herald stinks to high heaven. When you are tabilating the votes you need to be extremely careful and not screw it up and obviously caution was not used. Wilson Cates is a fine player, don't get me wrong but MVP, really you guys gotta be joking. He isn't even the best player on his team. Stinson led the district in scoring and without him this year we might have been fighting for the cellar. Stinson has been automatic for us and no one has been able to stop him. No doubt he is MVP, not even a consideration. It just sounds like to me the good ol' boy system got us. We know out in 7AA they are going to take care of their own and we aren't considered own and once again thats perfectly fine. I just hate it how the Citizen-Herald wasn't man enough to name Stinson sole MVP after the whole screwing. But I do have some inside info that the paper was going to talk to Coach Melton and ask him if he still wanted to keep Cates MVP despite knowing that he didn't receive the amount of votes that Stinson did. Either way its a rotten deal and someone needs to be held accountable. Plus on another note and I've harped on this for a few years now when district play rolls around......you guys get one good team over here (this year LA) and think they are going to roll through region and to state. Last year it was the same as you guys thought LA was going to roll and they got beat in the first round of region on their own home court!! Though Lipscomb and MLK are in other districts now and are not in the region, 7AA still cannot play with 8AA. I do think LA can win their first game but that will be it. As I've said before, not enough athletes this way to keep up with those teams come post season time. We found out the hard way by playing in that district for four years. Absolutely brutal and when region rolls around you guys find this out but your memory, like your vote counting, seems to remember on the convenient things.

Nice to hear from you again tennisguy. No it's not. Someday, though, someone in this district is going to prove your whole 'never get out of the region' theory wrong. I'm sick of hearing jealous people put down Wilson Cates. You probably wouldn't like to have him on your team. He's a great kid and despite all the negative talk about him from people like you, he holds his head high and keeps a good attitude.

IMO, Stinson is good enough to be MVP, but so are about three of LA's players.

No one from LA on here has put Macon County down. They just couldn't understand why the voting went they way it did. And then results changed twice to make it more confusing. What a lame thing to say that Macon got treated badly in this district. Macon County's coach had the nerve to call to find out how his player didn't get MVP. How did he know he was supposed to get it? Sounds to me like the a group of coaches left Coach Melton out of their little group and decided before the meeting that no one from Livingston would win player of the year. Now who sounds like the outcast???? The numbers speak for themselves.

As for your little history lesson....FILL US IN ON MACON COUNTY'S SUCCESS OF THE PAST!!! Oh, did you forget that? I will agree that it has been so tough for 7AA to get out of the region, but when someone does, are you gonna be glad for them or jealous and put them down again? I'm so sick of this crap about the all district team. However, congrats to those who were chosen. REMEMBER, IT'S KIDS THAT WERE TALKING ABOUT, BUT THE ADULTS(COACHES) ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING IT CHILDISH!

I'm sure the only thing that LA is concerned with right now is what's next. And that's, oh yeah, MACON COUNTY! LA, play hard, fight hard, and continue your success. Keep proving yourselves to all of us who are and aren't willing to admit that you all are good. Keeping you from winning some individual awards should inspire you to win as a team.

Tennisguy, please.

Edited by madisonsquaregarden

tennisguy tell me when has Macon ever had a good boys basketball team. The best teams I can recall is when Gary Perdue played back in the day. So to say that LA can't play with dist. 8AA is actually funny. We can beat any team in that dist provided we play like we can. Right now the main focus is Macon Co. a team that is very capable of pulling off the upset. But if LA plays like they can it should be a fairly easy win. But nothing's impossible.

I can't say either way about the Stinson kid b /c I haven't seen him play. Apparently he is something but he better have some help if they expect to win tuesday night. It's sort of like the Dallas kid. A very good player but 1 man can't beat a whole team. And LA is 9 - 10 deep.