Perry County's Kari May

CoachT

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how I missed that story when it happened. Props to both schools, coaches, and the TSSAA for letting it happen. My first real memory of a high school basketball was in the Perry County gym, and I know how much it means to all of you form there.

She sounds like an amazing girl. I think what we could all learn a lesson from is her skipping a cruise so she could be with her team on Senior Night and through the district tournament. Being there for others when if there was anyone who had the right to be selfish it was her........absolutely amazing. Perry County, that is a girl who should and I am sure does make all of you proud.

As I sit here typing in a flood of tears, I can't help but feel heartache for her family, friends and teammates. I didn't know her, but have obviously read her story. Amazing! As the father of a healthy teenage girl (also #22) who's REALLY into basketball - we are SO blessed!! - I usually use stories like this to inspire better attitudes in my children...you know, the 'play hard or go home' kind. Maybe I should also do a gut check. I'm sure Kari would be giving it her all if she could play just one more game on this earth. Now, I guess, she's playing on the most important Team. A team that never misses a 3 or a free throw, or fouls out. In a place I want all of us to go to where 15 year-old little girls don't die from cancer. So sad. But, as one poster said, it shouldn't be because the angels in heaven are rejoicing. I believe that and still can't imagine the sense of loss. This poor family sure has endured a lot the past few years. No doubt the close-knit Perry Co. family will rally around the Dad, especially.

I'll be praying for her family, friends and teammates.

God bless you all!

As I sit here typing in a flood of tears, I can't help but feel heartache for her family, friends and teammates. I didn't know her, but have obviously read her story. Amazing! As the father of a healthy teenage girl (also #22) who's REALLY into basketball - we are SO blessed!! - I usually use stories like this to inspire better attitudes in my children...you know, the 'play hard or go home' kind. Maybe I should also do a gut check. I'm sure Kari would be giving it her all if she could play just one more game on this earth. Now, I guess, she's playing on the most important Team. A team that never misses a 3 or a free throw, or fouls out. In a place I want all of us to go to where 15 year-old little girls don't die from cancer. So sad. But, as one poster said, it shouldn't be because the angels in heaven are rejoicing. I believe that and still can't imagine the sense of loss. This poor family sure has endured a lot the past few years. No doubt the close-knit Perry Co. family will rally around the Dad, especially.

I'll be praying for her family, friends and teammates.

God bless you all!

Three years of my early professional life, Perry County and Linden was my home. The county, while not full of a lot of young people, is filled with the salt of the earth as far as caring for their own and loving and acknoledging the things its residents did. It was particularly mindful of its young people and the the events which put it on a map. Consider that the town then only had one stoplight, and a lot of time the big event in the town was when the Grayhound stopped at the local restaurant and let its passengers off or when a deer hunter came in to town with a particularly big Buck. Or when someome in particular come in off the Buffalo with some fish, Crappie, and showed them off in town. It was a place that the local postmaster, building materials owner, auto parts manager, the managers of the local manufacturing plants, and many of the locals would come about 10:00 in the morning and talk about the days or nights events and reminise about the things which happened in the past and how ole Albert and his firends(one who made a doctor) took over the town, the county and yes the state when they won three state championships in a row as a small school and the town and county was proud. They related to it. it was their moment in the sun. At the state tournament. the town had to be empty and i am sure the sheriff had to patrol while they were all gone because as I remember, there were only 800 people in the town.There have been some other significant things that have happened in the county since those times and each time the proudness of good people trying to relate to some of their own has shown brighter than anyone can imagine.

And now here comes Kari and the closeness of the town embraced her but did not have to make her bigger than like itself, she did it herself and she did those things that make Perry Countians the people they are, loyal and dedicated people. it appears that Kari was put on earth to advance the legend that came before her. God, I am sure had a hand in it and realized kari needed to provide an inspiration again to some loving and dedicated people and ever so often needs that great spark of a legend to keep them, when they meet, talking about how she handled this situation and Knowing the background of the people as I do, the relished in one of their own providing something to help their young and thats dedication and loyalty.

I know a lot of people are sad but God sometimes puts people on earth for a mission, and Keri was able to complete hers. I hope the rest of us in some way do ours. Coacht again helped provide a vehicle along with the other media, to allow kari to provide an example to the whole state and maybe further. while a sad day, this is a great day for the residents of Perry County to allow us to be a part of another legend.

\

Edited by PHargis

pic34196.jpg

I just want to say that the Loretto girls basketball team is praying for you. We first heard about Kari when we were in tournaments at Giles Co. The article was posted on the girls lockerroom bulletin board. Standing there before the game my eyes filled up with tears. She was an instant inspiration to my teamates an myself. It breaks my heart along with many others' that she has passed on. But while I was sitting here reading the article about Kari I knew without a doubt that Kari had made a diffrence in alot of peoples lives. God bless the May family and the Perry Co. basketball team.