Most Annoying Thing at High School Games

Solomon

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

I also get tired of the parents and fans that "know" their son or star player is a can't miss D-1 football player. Trust me, if a young man is in fact a REAL Division 1 Football player you will not need to tell anyone, the entire stadium knows that kid can play! A high school coach in Memphis once told me that an SEC recruiter described a SEC/Division 1 player like this, "if the kid really is a sure fire SEC player, everyone in the stadium knows if he is on the field, they know where he is on the field and they want to know why he is not on the field when the game is on the line."

• 2 weeks later...

To all the band haters if these kids were not in band they my be breaking into your schools buses and cars at the game. You all forget this is just a childs game not life.It does teach working as a team and leadership so does band and cheerleading. I go to football games to have fun and watch the youth of my town have fun. And if that is annoying then you need to stay home and lisen on the radio.

To all the band haters if these kids were not in band they my be breaking into your schools buses and cars at the game. You all forget this is just a childs game not life.It does teach working as a team and leadership so does band and cheerleading. I go to football games to have fun and watch the youth of my town have fun. And if that is annoying then you need to stay home and lisen on the radio.

Well said & AMEN !!!!!

Kids running around during the National Anthem !

Actually elementary kids are one thing, but middle and high schoolers doing the same thing is what gets me! Who raised these kids that haven't learned to shut up, put their hand over their heart (& take that ballcap off) to honor our country!

Don't take this wrong cause I actually like most bands. But band leaders who state they have no room on "their field" for other spirit squads. "Halftime is our band's time - we are a competition team". Hey dude - this isn't a competition! It's a football game - any spirit squad (majorette, color guard, cheerleaders, dance team, etc.) have a right to be on that field too during halftime!

Also, those "competitive" bands who play the ENTIRE halftime not allowing the football team to come on and get stretched out again!

I am a spots photographer and I walk sidelines. My question is...

Why is there an official walking in front of the team with a hand held device and dragging a cord?! Every player and coach steps on that wire. (Not me)

I have shot HS pics in other states, they don't have a timekeeper on the sidelines, he's in "the box." Where is the time keeper in college and the pros?

The timekeeper is in the box where he can see. Kudos to the the schools with wireless, but can that official really see the play better than the person in the box?

The color of the wire is often grey. It kind of disappears in the dark shadows in front of the team. It should be WHITE or maybe even traffic orange like some of the down marker chains. It's annoying and I just don't get the whole concept.

People who come to the games and sit there like knot's on a log don't clap don't cheer you would have to poke them to make sure they are alive. Not saying that they have to act like an idiot (in fact please don't) but you could at-least clap. Saw this at our last game half the people in the stands act like they are watching a round of Golf. And if it's people from other counties or school's that are just there to watch I understand that but this wasn't.

I am a spots photographer and I walk sidelines. My question is...

Why is there an official walking in front of the team with a hand held device and dragging a cord?! Every player and coach steps on that wire. (Not me)

I have shot HS pics in other states, they don't have a timekeeper on the sidelines, he's in "the box." Where is the time keeper in college and the pros?

The timekeeper is in the box where he can see. Kudos to the the schools with wireless, but can that official really see the play better than the person in the box?

The color of the wire is often grey. It kind of disappears in the dark shadows in front of the team. It should be WHITE or maybe even traffic orange like some of the down marker chains. It's annoying and I just don't get the whole concept.

The clock operator is supposed to be on the field in the state of Tennessee unless the clock will not function from the field. Wireless is the way to go as long as it works. You are right, this cord gets stepped on over and over during the night. As a photographer stepping on the cord shouldn't be anything you do since you should be at least 2 yards off the field and not in the restricted area and team box.

The view is better for everyone from the stands and box since it is elevated. The clock operator is the backup official for the night. He could have to go onto the field and work at any given moment during the game. As an ECO, most would prefer to be on the field rather than in the box.

The ECO also serves a couple of other purposes to help the crew. When the ball needs to be spotted at the hash on his side, he is often easier to see than the stake across the field so this makes putting the ball back at the previous spot easier. He can assist the crew on plays whether the QB has crossed the line of scrimmage or not when throwing a pass. He will usually also hold the previous spot until the ready for play is blown for the next down. This can be helpful if the chain crew has moved and there was a penalty on the previous play. So, he is there is reasons other than to run the clock.

Edited by footballref