Most Annoying Thing at High School Games

Solomon

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

OK, I will ruffle some feathers here.... about the band. Have you ever thought for a moment that the band would probably prefer to just come watch the game and not perform, it's true. Most HS coaches push for the band to be at every game, even the away games. I know from having a daughter in the band for 4 years what it takes. How about a 500.00 dry cleaning bill to perform a half time show on a hot night. Also, you get a huge bump in the gate by the band, all their parents could probably care less about the game, but pay their money to watch Suzy play her 8 minutes at half time.

I don't think the band is an annoyance at Harpeth, most of our fans understand how much hard work goes into performing at the level our band performs at. If you look in the stands at half time the crowd stays in their seats to enjoy the show. Our director is very sensitive to playing at the right times, he actually is a football/sports guy. If you are having trouble with your band I suggest talking to you AD, who should be managing the play time or at least set the boundaries. We have had opponents who think they came for a battle of the bands so I can relate to the disruption. Lastly, nothing like playing the game on Friday night then arriving at the band hall for a 6;30 departure for a competition, wonder how many footbal players will attend to support the band???????

• 2 weeks later...

How bout the guy who thinks a HB pass or any trick play will work EVERYTIME!!! Or thinks a fake punt will work EVERYTIME!!! The thing that annoys me more than anything is when a player goes down and can't possibly get to his feet without help but when you show him attention and pick him up he sprints off the field like nothing happend.

OK, I will ruffle some feathers here.... about the band. Have you ever thought for a moment that the band would probably prefer to just come watch the game and not perform, it's true. Most HS coaches push for the band to be at every game, even the away games. I know from having a daughter in the band for 4 years what it takes. How about a 500.00 dry cleaning bill to perform a half time show on a hot night. Also, you get a huge bump in the gate by the band, all their parents could probably care less about the game, but pay their money to watch Suzy play her 8 minutes at half time.

I don't think the band is an annoyance at Harpeth, most of our fans understand how much hard work goes into performing at the level our band performs at. If you look in the stands at half time the crowd stays in their seats to enjoy the show. Our director is very sensitive to playing at the right times, he actually is a football/sports guy. If you are having trouble with your band I suggest talking to you AD, who should be managing the play time or at least set the boundaries. We have had opponents who think they came for a battle of the bands so I can relate to the disruption. Lastly, nothing like playing the game on Friday night then arriving at the band hall for a 6;30 departure for a competition, wonder how many footbal players will attend to support the band???????

Actually, most of the people I knew in the band and their parents back in the day were quick to tell you that they were the reason people were there, typically griped that they had to pay admission to get in to see their kids.

Oh yeah, and they got 100% of the funds from the concession stand.

What goes beyond annoying is the practice of "saving" seats and the practice of coming out early afternoon and spreading a blanket on the bleachers to "save" a seat. Capitol punishment for both these offenses.

Yeah, I hate that too! I'm here but I'm not supposed to sit there for someone who isn't there yet.

first of all before i say this i love my DB band. they are obviously one of the best bands in the country and they have 400+ people and are very loud, Having said that, they might be the biggest waste of a band that good. They dont play while we are on defense ever, but when we on offense they always look to crank it up and play the same dang songs over and over again.

another point, our band uses their halftime show for there competition practice. Nobody wants to hear these old, slow, depressing songs at a FOOTBALL GAME! Play some upbeat songs that people know. 2 times this year we had to watch and listen to them play a whole thing on a story of a red balloon. a red balloon really? a halftime shows are pathetic and its a disgrace.

i know its against the rules but every band plays during the plays anyway. I was a Senior last year and when your close to the band and on offense you cant hear a thing, you would think they would do that to the other team. Even when you talk to some of the band parents or their parents (just some not all) they feel like they Grace of with their presence at the games.

again, i really do appreciate how good our band is i just think in the football aspect of our band they really need to work on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...