Dobyns-Bennett @ Oak Ridge

OakRidgeCat

Hit after Hit... Punishing Hit after Punishing Hit!! Tackle for Loss after Tackle for Loss!! Fear!! Fear!! Fear!!

Good To Great

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Art, dude, either slow down on the drugs or at least share ;)

Been a long time since I believe Oak Ridge really "feared" anyone coming onto the 'Ship. Quite the opposite, it is when the opposing team see those players that just keep a coming down those steps, supported by a huge community, with history at their backs and the future straight ahead, with Coaches that have been there, done that, at the helm, that the opposing team seems to back off wondering what the heck they are doing there!

Neither of these teams are going to back down, or fear the other. They are looking forward to the challenge knowing it will be a game of two of the best.

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank,

Art has me scared all the way down in Florida. CALL IT OFF AND SAVE THE KIDS!

Ole Dad

That does it ... I am on the phone right now with Coach Stevens.

There is no way I can allow him to let the little Wildcats take this kind of punishment. The game is off!! We are going to try and schedule someone else ... this is too much.

Pardon me? Fortunately, every prediction I make is either in print or on tape. During my Saturday morning show, I said ... "Tennessee wins 20-17." I can pull up the tape ... sure I have ripped on UT some in the pre-season, but I did pick them to win .. come on, it was Cal ... of the freakin' Pac-10!

And as for Friday night, ol Cat has me picking DB already ... can't quite remember doing that, since I do that in Friday's newspaper. I actually look at games with my head, not my heart ... then I usually pick with my heart. :lol:

Of course, I am 26-2 on the season, including a sterling 14-0 last week (I know I know, the games were easy to pick.)

Geez Tank,

Just a little ribbing on my part, it was meant as a kinda toungue-in-cheek post! ;)

Edited by catback

I really don't know much about DB but what I do know about Oak Ridge is this, THROW THE FOOTBALL DOWNFIELD TO #24. He has big play capability any time he touches the football. If DB's strength is a good linebacking core, then roll out the QB, wing it down field, score often and then hang on to the lead with a pretty decent defense.

Hit after Hit...

Did my post cause this outpouring?! Or is Art turning into Yoda?

Well I'll tell ya, Bearden was too free to throw the ball last Friday. If the D doesn't step it up a notch against OR and can their QB, there's going to be some hurt from the OR side.

I want to see total domination here! By US! (as likely as that is)

Well Dragoon, if you're gonna follow the Cats you may as well learn their names. 24 is Darrell Miller, son of former basketball star of the same name. I agree with you, he is a player and will be hard for any db to cover one on one. You have to help out on Darrell or he can hurt you. Terrific hands, catch anything you throw near him. If we had Alonzo Douglas on this team, defenses would really be in a bind. He was our best receiver, ruled ineligible. Of cpurse, DB has a guy that's just as good #9 Cody Sensabaugh is a player, too. He will have an advantage at times against our, how should I say this, vertically challenged defensive backs.

dragoon, are you coming to the Ship, or going to watch your boys?

Well Dragoon, if you're gonna follow the Cats you may as well learn their names. 24 is Darrell Miller, son of former basketball star of the same name. I agree with you, he is a player and will be hard for any db to cover one on one. You have to help out on Darrell or he can hurt you. Terrific hands, catch anything you throw near him. If we had Alonzo Douglas on this team, defenses would really be in a bind. He was our best receiver, ruled ineligible. Of cpurse, DB has a guy that's just as good #9 Cody Sensabaugh is a player, too. He will have an advantage at times against our, how should I say this, vertically challenged defensive backs.

dragoon, are you coming to the Ship, or going to watch your boys?

Darrell Miller's son. I remember him all to well. In '87 we had a serious run at the state title in basketball and Oak Ridge had Mr. Miller. Battle Royale that was. That being said, I would make sure that Darrell Jr. touches the ball. The move he made against AC in the jambaree game was great and against Clinton, well you know what happened. As for watching the game, I'm sure the OR-DB game would be fun to watch, I've got to support my boys. This is were our season begins and a new tradition is born. Wouldn't miss it for anything.

GO Wildcats!!!!

GO Dragons!!!!

GO Mavs!!!!

Somebody needs to make sure Art isn't driving; at the speed he is operating I think we need to call him a cab....(okay, Art, you're a cab)...sorry, old joke.

There is no fear in either team, there is respect...there will be great effort and pride displayed by both teams...as always...great kids, great athletes, two great cities, two great schools, two great traditions, should be one great game.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

And, a little bit of old man trivia for the two schools...Darrell Miller Sr. was coached at Oak Ridge by a great basketball coach who played for, graduated from, and also coached at Dobyns-Bennett, Steve Shipley...They used to run the alley-oop to Miller for their in-bounds play from under their own bucket...man could he jump (and play)...I know "The Voice" remembers those days...Shipley really knew how to utilize talent and Miller was real talent.

Roll Tribe Roll

Gonna be a VERY good game reguardless of who wins. I am not gonna pick a winner as I have not seen either team this year. There are a couple of positives though. This should be the first of two very good games between these two teams this year. Second is I would make this game if it was closer.......its a rib thing don't you know! :thumb:

This is a special game for both teams. Here's some more old man trivia. David Clary did an interview with Coach Ben Martin that was aired on the radio one Friday night before the coach passed away in 1979. In that interview Coach Martin began to explain how Oak Ridge athletics were patterned after what he called "The powerhouse in the state at the time", Kingsport Dobyns Bennett. Starting the program in 1943, Oak Ridge adopted the Kingsport colors of Red and Gray. In his words "in an attempt to emulate a class program". While both teams colors have changed slightly over the years, the OR program is patterned after DB. Coach wanted to "get off on the right foot" by emulating the class and excellence exhibited by the Indians. He really thought alot of DB, the people, and the athletics programs. I think the mutual respect held by both teams for each other, and the hard fought clean contests we cherish so much each time goes all the way back to that. I just hope we get to see it twice this year. You will not find a non conference high school game that means so much to so many like this special rivalry. I wish this was Friday.