Oak Ridge at William Blount

TG24

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to WB on their huge win against Oak Ridge. And it was the first??? That has to be even more exciting. :(

It was a great game tonight! Oak Ridge is one of the classiest programs in the state, and they will be very strong in the playoffs, just like every other year. The Wildcats have my respect on and off the field! The game was amazing, one of the most exciting ones I've had the pleasure of being at. We had a blast, and it was very special to beat Oak Ridge tonight, for the first time EVER. Good luck to the Wildcats from here on out.

I can't wait to see the playback. I wonder if Mike Treadway had to be put in a strait jacket? I bet he went crazy.

Congratulations to WB on a big win. I may not like the WB fans like Richard Shewmake. But the fans like Govman make up for it. Fans like him deserve to have a winning team to pull for.

[quote name='Owls fans and whoever else better get their OR bashing out of their system this year. Next couple of years crow is on the menu.

Roll Cats Roll

Big statement considering Owls are starting a couple of freshmen alot of soph's and jr's with a couple of seniors and have the best freshmen team in state. The Owls may have at least 3 good years ahead of em..

I can't wait to see the playback. I wonder if Mike Treadway had to be put in a strait jacket? I bet he went crazy.

Congratulations to WB on a big win. I may not like the WB fans like Richard Shewmake. But the fans like Govman make up for it. Fans like him deserve to have a winning team to pull for.

I agree. Govman seems to represent WB well. In the midst of all the craziness and zaniness on Coacht, it is nice to have someone like Govman, who supports his team, but makes educated and reasonable posts.

Congratulations to WB. OR has his hands full now, trying to make the playoffs, with both Farragut and Oak Ridge left on its schedule. Interesting year in 2-5A... I would never have predicted it to look like this.

For Oak Ridge's standards they must be awful this year! To lose to McMinn and William Blount is about as low as a "dominant" 5-A team can get. 5-A in east TN sure is weak this year. I read where Maryville (4-A) walked all over WB. Sounds like Maryville and many of the 4-A teams in their region would have it easier in Oak Ridge's region.

so what your saying is that WB and McMinn just stink at football?

Here is the etcoach summary brought to you by Airport Honda.

OR runs the opening kickoff back..OR 7-0.

Both teams make mistakes the rest of the first half but OR leads 10-0.

OR dominates the 3rd quarter and kick a FG early in the 4th to lead 13-0. If OR had scored a TD there, it was ball game.

WB had the ball at the OR 24 yd line 4th and 1 with 6:30 left, and they did not get it as OR held again on 4th down for the 3rd time.

OR gets the ball back and completes a 3rd and 8 for a 1st down at their own 35 yd line with a little over 5 minutes left and a 1st and 10. Many fans started heading for the exits. It looked as though there would be no excitement this week at the end for the Govs. However, as you would imagine, OR fumbles on the next play. WB recovers and scores on 4 plays to cut the lead to 13-7. OR starts next drive at their own 20. On 3rd down OR throws an interception and all of the sudden, here we go again. WB scores in 4 more plays and just like that, somehow, WB was ahead. On the kickoff, OR was pinned on their own 15. After a penalty and a sack, OR was faced with 4th and 24 on their own 2. They did not even get close as the pass sailed out of bounds with 1:20 left. WB has the ball 1st and goal on the OR 2 with a 14-13 lead. OR has 1 timeout left. I think here the coaches made a small mistake. Everyone was expecting WB to take a knee and run the clock out and win 14-13. By doing this, OR would have not had the ball again. However, WB elects to score on the 1st play which was the best thing that could happen for OR. Now, even though down 8, they get the ball back with 1 minute left. They run the kickoff back to midfield and you just knew they would score the way things have went the last few weeks. However, the WB defense held as they did most of the night and WB wins.

Farragut 4-0 will finish at worst with 5 wins (in the playoffs)

Ooltewah 4-0 will finish at worst with 5 wins (in the playoffs)

McMinn 2-2 only tough game left is WB will finish 5-2 or 4-3

WB 2-2 only tough game left is McMinn will finish 5-2 or 4-3

OR 2-2 must play Farragut and Ooltewah

The only way OR gets in is to win out. If they do, they will be in and the winner of McMinn/WB next week will be in.

If OR loses another game, they will be eliminated as they will lose all tiebreakers with WB/McMInn.

Side note: WB has failed to score in the 1st 3 quarters for 2 consecutive weeks.

WB was given this game by OR just like they have given games away at Ooltewah/Farragut.

First off ... thanks for the compliment Rebel Ron. As far as representing my school well though, I pale in comparison to you and your representation of Maryville. You are the epitome of what a class fan looks like.

ET,

Great run down. I too was a little confused when we ran the "dive" into the endzone there at the end. When we took over, I believe the clock read 1:39 and I think they had 1 timeout remaining. You're the numbers expert, I'm not ... could we have expired the clock with four kneels? The scariest thing to me about giving them the ball back was having to "kick off" to #4. Of course, by scoring, you put yourself in the position that the "worst" possible thing that can happen is they tie you. BUT ... if it a sure thing that they could have ran it down to "0" with four "kneels" then I don't get it.

Were you surprised at how close the DB vs Sev Cty game was? IF, we manage to get out of this with the 3 seed, I suppose we would travel to Sevier County for round 1?

From one- half of the William Blount "brain trust" to the man that makes up the other two-thirds of it, let me just say, "great job." :thumb:

Good break down there Coach.

I would agree, based upon you thoughts there was some coaching I would question.

When OR was faced with 4th and 24 on their own 2, I would have maybe hung a high punt and hoped for a late turnover or a quick 4 and out by WB. Agree, WB by not taking a knee and being satisfied with a one point win is better trying to score and fumbling the ball away. Maybe try to score on one play to insure the clock was depleted further, not sure what Coach Meadows was thinking.

Lastly I agree turnovers are the only way to "Give" a game away and at the HS level it is very much apart of the game.

Nonetheless, WB get's a great win vs. a normally great program; they have earned the right to be happy about it. I do think OR is way down from a year ago and key injury without depth, is a killer.

Were you surprised at how close the DB vs Sev Cty game was? IF, we manage to get out of this with the 3 seed, I suppose we would travel to Sevier County for round 1?

I was somewhat surprised when I saw the results of the DB vs. Sevier Co. game. The Smoky Bears have improved greatly since Week 0, and I would not like ANOTHER trip to Sevierville in the first round. If we get a third seed out of this year, it is not for sure that we would go to Sevier County. Right now, Sevier and Bearden are tied for the second and third seeds in Region 1. If Sevier County beats Bearden in their final game, then we would be heading to Sevier for the first round. If Bearden wins, however, it'd be a trip to Bearden that we'd recieve. It's a toss-up right now, in my opinion. I haven't completely written off a second seed, though. If Farragut finishes up the season with losses to Oak Ridge and Ooltewah, and Oak Ridge and William Blount run the table from here on out, it would be a three-way tie for the second, third, and fourth playoff seeds. Does anyone know how that tie-breaker would be decided?