William Blount at Dobyns Bennett

TG24

Red Rebels,

I am a D-B fan, but can answer that question for you - YES.- it was McMahan...and he was magnificent...22 tackles, kicked off, punted, returned kicks, returned punts, quarterbacked, drove the bus, sold popcorn, and turned out the lights...best individual performance I have ever seen...I think the Governors were 6-6 that year, the six wins he played in, the six losses he didn't...very impressive.

Roll Tribe Roll

Family is full of athletic ability and heart. Sister is Cait who played baskets for Heritage and is now at UT playing for Pat.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Family is full of athletic ability and heart. Sister is Cait who played baskets for Heritage and is now at UT playing for Pat.

Did he go anywhere? It seems like he was on the small side, had shoulder problem that season. The Govs kept it close that game. DB had their chances to put it away, but never really got the KO. It cost them in the end.

Did he go anywhere? It seems like he was on the small side, had shoulder problem that season. The Govs kept it close that game. DB had their chances to put it away, but never really got the KO. It cost them in the end.

My recollection is that he played baseball after high school, first at a junior college (Cleveland State, I think) and then at an area four year school (Tennessee Wesleyan or Lee).

I believe its Craig Wojohowski he is speaking of due to the fact that MacMahan was injured.

Actually, tpoole, it was indeed Reese Mac. He sustained a serious shoulder injury late in the DB game, but actually came back in and played on "d", I believe, with a dislocated shoulder (check me on that one if I'm wrong, ETcoach).

Reese was an incredible athlete. As an eighth grader, a lot of folks say he was as good of a basketball player to ever play in the Blount County area, and when you consider the likes of Lee Humphry, Travis Stinnett, etc. ... that's pretty high praise.

I think his size caught up with him in high school as far as basketball goes, although he was a key contributor for the Gov's b-ballers when he did play. Baseball was his meal ticket.

I'm assuming you are not a Braves fan then if you think fans are disappointed with not winning championships after great years.

All fans of all teams from the east half of the state other than Riverdale have been disappointed in recent years. That is not only a DB phenomenon. Every team goes out thinking this is the year....but in the end there will be only one winner.

First, I'm not trying to start anything here okay? :lol: I agree with what you said to a certain extent. The difference in D-B and everyone else is, D-B is ranked in the top 5 every year seems like. I know rankings don't mean anything, but they can lead to D-B fans becoming over confident in their team. I do not have a clue why the people who vote continually rank them so high. To my knowledge, (I'm sure somone will correct me if I'm wrong) they've only been as far as the semis once in the last, well forever. And, like the Braves fans, people do get disappointed in not winning a championship. When the Braves started their run of divisional titles, the stands were packed. As the years went on, you could get a NLCS ticket off the street for a little over face value and sit right behind the dugout. So, fans do become frustrated over having great regular seasons then losing in the playoffs. Maybe this is the Tribe's year. Or at least that's what the pollsters say.......again.

First, I'm not trying to start anything here okay? :thumb: I agree with what you said to a certain extent. The difference in D-B and everyone else is, D-B is ranked in the top 5 every year seems like. I know rankings don't mean anything, but they can lead to D-B fans becoming over confident in their team. I do not have a clue why the people who vote continually rank them so high. To my knowledge, (I'm sure somone will correct me if I'm wrong) they've only been as far as the semis once in the last, well forever. And, like the Braves fans, people do get disappointed in not winning a championship. When the Braves started their run of divisional titles, the stands were packed. As the years went on, you could get a NLCS ticket off the street for a little over face value and sit right behind the dugout. So, fans do become frustrated over having great regular seasons then losing in the playoffs. Maybe this is the Tribe's year. Or at least that's what the pollsters say.......again.

I don't know anything about D-B in this situation, and offer no opinion on their situation, but as a Braves fan I follow your analogy. You watch them all summer, they clinch another division title, then mid-september rolls around and you get this feeling of dread because the playoffs are about to begin. And sure enough! Disappointment soon follows.

D-B's stands are still packed and the Indians' fans are still loyal...and just like with any other school there are fans that get on places like this and shoot off at the mouth about things (and people) they truly know nothing or at best, very little about. Being ranked in the top 5 consistently comes from consistent results during the regular season and playoff disappointments come from many opportunities earned to participate in the playoffs...however, I can't recall a playoff game lost because of lack of effort by a Dobyns-Bennett team...that is very important...I do recall games where the Indians were defeated, beaten; as with any athletic competition some would say that some of the the loses shouldn't have happened...last year?... a great game, Ooltewah made one more play than D-B did...they earned it...it was great game that didn't have the outcome desired in Kingsport...the loss to William Blount, that has already been discussed on this thread, was one of the most remarkable efforts by a player at any level in any sport that I have ever seen...I would pay to watch the video of that game and yes D-B lost...the one playoff loss that I'd probably say we should have won was to Hendersonville a few years ago, but again, they played a real good game and the outcome wasn't due to lack of effort...D-B has been to the semis twice in the past, what, seven years? - lost to Red Bank (Gerald Riggs) and lost to Riverdale...teams are to line up and play the schedule put in front of them, if they do well , they go to the playoffs and get the chance to play some more and if they play well and they win, they play more...they may play well and not win...part of the lesson of sports...if they don't win and continue, the season is still one of accomplishment, because they earned the opportunity to continue...and with D-B's situation,and Oak Ridge, and Riverdale there are high expectations every year and for the most part those expectations are reached...wow...don't we all wish we could be as proficient on a weekly basis?...I am very proud of the efforts and accomplishments of Dobyns-Bennett athletics and I hope everyone can be equally as proud of their own school's efforts and accomplishments...if the Indians don't win on Friday, sure I will be sad, disappointed, downtrodden, but I will know that this particular team lined up and went 10-0 and earned the opportunity to continue; faced that challenge, as well and didn't completely achieve their all their goals...okay...it will be okay...everyone will say the Indians choked, were overrated, undeserving, whatever they want...but, they will be wrong, because there were efforts made and accomplishments completed and goals reached...It is better to be the Atlanta Braves than the Tampa Bay Devil Rays...it is better to earn additional opportunities than to not...that shouldn't be so hard to figure, unless you truly don't understand competition, effort, and acheivement...

I am very proud of the Dobyns-Bennett Indians. Period.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

First, I'm not trying to start anything here okay? :thumb: I agree with what you said to a certain extent. The difference in D-B and everyone else is, D-B is ranked in the top 5 every year seems like. I know rankings don't mean anything, but they can lead to D-B fans becoming over confident in their team. I do not have a clue why the people who vote continually rank them so high. To my knowledge, (I'm sure somone will correct me if I'm wrong) they've only been as far as the semis once in the last, well forever. And, like the Braves fans, people do get disappointed in not winning a championship. When the Braves started their run of divisional titles, the stands were packed. As the years went on, you could get a NLCS ticket off the street for a little over face value and sit right behind the dugout. So, fans do become frustrated over having great regular seasons then losing in the playoffs. Maybe this is the Tribe's year. Or at least that's what the pollsters say.......again.

DB is not the only team to be "ranked" in the top 5 and not win. Just like I said, Riverdale has been the achilles heel for the east teams. They have represented something like 10 of the last 13 championship games for the East. So DB does not have a lock on futility as a top 5 "ranking". And that is all that is...a ranking an opinion that matters not come playoff time. But in 4A many teams get ranked high year after year but Maryville always comes out on top. Is it disappointing? Yes, that does not in any way take away from great years. And I feel like once again many local teams will trip up before reaching there objective. That should not take away from rooting for the kids. That doesn't keep you from rooting for the University of Tennessee does it Volman? With that reasoning there shouldn't even be a 4A poll, because 2 through 5 are coming up short anyway at the beginning of the season...aint that what you are saying? Why even play !!!! :thumb:

By the way, DB has been to the semis 3 times under Clark in 98, 2000, 2002. Qtrs many times in the Clark era. In that same time there han't been much semi final action from Region 1 period. Betsy 98,99 and Tn High 04.