I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

SETH, YOUR WHINING AND BELLY-ACHING IS STARTING TO REALLY WEAR THIN ON MOST EVERYBODY. IF THE TEAM CAN'T OVERCOME ONE BAD CALL AND MIND YOU, FROM WHAT I HEARD, IT WAS A BAD CALL. THEN THEY PROBABLY DON'T DESERVE TO WIN. THERE IS NO WAY AS YOU SAY, THAT ONE CALL PROBABLY DICTATED THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. JUST NOT POSSIBLE. TERRIBLE SHOOTING, QUESTIONABLE COACHING IDEOLOGIES AND JUST MAKING YOUNG TEAM MISTAKES PROBABLY COST THIS TEAM MORE THAN ONE QUESTIONABLE CALL. SO YOU WATCHED THE VIDEO, IT WAS A BAD CALL. BUT COST YOU THE GAME???????? HORRENDOUS SHOOTING IS WHAT COST YOU THE GAME. YOU MAKE A FEW MORE SHOTS, YOU WIN. BUT TO COME ON HERE AND QUESTION A REFEREE'S INTEGRITY? SETH THAT'S A PERSONAL ATTACK AND I THOUGHT YOU WERE ABOVE THAT, GUESS NOT!!!! YOU'RE NOT ABOVE QUESTIONING A REFEREE BY NAME ON THE RADIO DURING A LIVE BROADCAST EX. COSBY GAME ON AN OUT OF BOUNDS CALL, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. ANYWAY, I'LL GET OFF MY SOAPBOX AND LET YOU ALL POST IN PEACE. HOWEVER, ONE LAST PARTING COMMENT FOR SETH, IN THE FUTURE, PLEASE DON'T TRY TO FIND EXCUSES FOR YOUR TEAM'S MISTAKES. IF THEY LOSE, THEY LOSE. ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Galyon no longer has Crumbley's number. I knew West would have problems scoring the way they played in the 2nd half last week, but 14? and 5 in the second half? Geez.

Cherokee laid one on Jeff County it seems.

East and Cocke County played a terrible game. Cocke County shot 11/56 from the field and 4/32 inside three pt range. 3 of the 2-pt field goals were from Depew and the other from Kelsey Lloyd. East was 15/51 from the field. But maybe all the tackling and throw downs in the first Five Rivers Football game of the season could be attributed to that terrible shooting?

Score was 18-11 East at half. Cocke County scored 2 in the 2nd quarter. East scored 6 and 5 in the second and third respectively.

Leah Leeper scored 14 in the fourth and the game was back-and-forth, despite the terrible shooting. East pulled ahead by 2 in the final minute and Depew caught the ball and made a move in the lane and was called for a more than very-questionable charge (made by an official with notable Morristown East ties, mind you) for her fifth foul. I think a lot of East folks were thinking it wasnt a very good call. The inbounds resulted in a foul and Leeper hit both free-throws to seal the deal.

Oh well....looks like that 4-6 scenario is very very possible now....

Man PT, this one just keeps raising its ugly head doesn't it? ;) You are the last person who should be criticizing someone for having a community bias... you have never been one of those "fair and balanced" media types. Every charge called in a game could be called questionable. It is a matter of perspective. Depew is aggressive in the lane and is often called for the offensive foul. How many times did she get fouled driving in the lane. How many free-throws did she shoot/hit.. Watch every foul called underneath involving Depew and count how many times a blocking foul was called that could have been a charge. What makes this call controversial is its proximity to the buzzer, not its propriety. The same call in the first half, with the same outcome would not have elicited the same reaction. The fact that it came in the closing minute of the game is really what chapped your cheeks.

What was that theme song from the Love Boat? "Love is in the Air"?

1st, to quote an earlier post "Great First Post". As PTS posted earlier, we need a Sarcastic smiley to go with certain comments.

2nd, this thread and others have discussed in some detail how poor the officating in the IMAC appears to be. A really good team can overcome bad officating. A Good team might. A marginal team, having a poor shooting performance is going to have a hard time.

The real problem with poor officating is that it can take a inexperienced team out of their game. They get fouled, don't get the call, so on the other end, they try the same thing, and they get called. Now the frustration builds, both with the player and the fans. The players lose focus on what they need to be doing. And suddenly the game is gone, and you are left trying to explain what happened, and you tend to focus on the most important moment of the game, which in any close game, ends up being the last few plays. A case in point. The two Jeff County / Cherokee games (in my opinion) were played about the same way. The two games were officated differently, and the results were different. The first game, Cherokee's aggressive style was called for many fouls, and they lost thier best player early in the 4th quarter. 2nd game, that style was allowed to play, Jeff County failed to adapt, and lost. I am not blaming refereeing on the win or the loss, I am just pointing out how it can affect a game.

In PTS' defense, I don't think he was harping on the bad call, nor did he blame it for the loss. He pointed out a questionable call, but he also talked about how ugly the game was. As to your other objection, many local announcers, and even national ones point out poor calls. The guys on ESPN last night more than once said "I didn't see that call".

And because it was your first post I will point this out, unless you meant to be shouting the whole way through the post, turn your Caps button off. ;)

And I cannot believe that you got me to defend PTS. :D

Edited by raiderray

PT is just supporting his team just like we all do. He has his opinion about how the game went and how some calls could have changed the outcome. We all could complain about something with the officials but it is not going to do any good. Their job is really difficult at times. However I do feel that there needs to be some form of consistency every night they get on the court. Hopefully this will get better. I know that the I-MAC has some good officials, but they also have some bad one too. The bottom line is that each team needs to show up and play the best they can play to put themselves in position to win.

1st, to quote an earlier post "Great First Post". As PTS posted earlier, we need a Sarcastic smiley to go with certain comments.

2nd, this thread and others have discussed in some detail how poor the officating in the IMAC appears to be. A really good team can overcome bad officating. A Good team might. A marginal team, having a poor shooting performance is going to have a hard time.

The real problem with poor officating is that it can take a inexperienced team out of their game. They get fouled, don't get the call, so on the other end, they try the same thing, and they get called. Now the frustration builds, both with the player and the fans. The players lose focus on what they need to be doing. And suddenly the game is gone, and you are left trying to explain what happened, and you tend to focus on the most important moment of the game, which in any close game, ends up being the last few plays. A case in point. The two Jeff County / Cherokee games (in my opinion) were played about the same way. The two games were officated differently, and the results were different. The first game, Cherokee's aggressive style was called for many fouls, and they lost thier best player early in the 4th quarter. 2nd game, that style was allowed to play, Jeff County failed to adapt, and lost. I am not blaming refereeing on the win or the loss, I am just pointing out how it can affect a game.

In PTS' defense, I don't think he was harping on the bad call, nor did he blame it for the loss. He pointed out a questionable call, but he also talked about how ugly the game was. As to your other objection, many local announcers, and even national ones point out poor calls. The guys on ESPN last night more than once said "I didn't see that call".

And because it was your first post I will point this out, unless you meant to be shouting the whole way through the post, turn your Caps button off. ;)

Ray, it wasn't the "pointing out the questionable call" that is inherently wrong with PT's assessment...it was his attempt at impuning the ref's character that is distressing. We all moan and complain about officiating...it is the IMAC after all, but we try to draw the line at accusing them of deliberately trying to alter the outcome of the game.His post states that Depew "was called for a more than very-questionable charge (made by an official with notable Morristown East ties, mind you)". He made another reference to it in his post #413 "Unfortunate that it happened that way and unfortunate that the assocation allows an official with notable ties to a program call a game involving that program".PT crossed the line on this one and should not be defended.

advice taken raider ray, i'm just not up on the etiquette of posting i suppose. i'm sorry if i did not make myself clear, i don't have a problem with ptsportswriter questioning a call on-air, just that it's not warranted at the high school level to call out a referee on air for a mistake or to question an official's integrity in a public forum. yeah, he may have made a bad call, but to call into question the man's personal integrity? i just don't find that proper. maybe i'm way off base, i don't know. criticize the officiating, that's fine, everyone will. but leave it at that, criticism. to openly discuss and make accusations about an official and his ties, that's, i'm gonna scream here JUST NOT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ray, it wasn't the "pointing out the questionable call" that is inherently wrong with PT's assessment...it was his attempt at impuning the ref's character that is distressing. We all moan and complain about officiating...it is the IMAC after all, but we try to draw the line at accusing them of deliberately trying to alter the outcome of the game.His post states that Depew "was called for a more than very-questionable charge (made by an official with notable Morristown East ties, mind you)". He made another reference to it in his post #413 "Unfortunate that it happened that way and unfortunate that the assocation allows an official with notable ties to a program call a game involving that program".PT crossed the line on this one and should not be defended.

exactly barb, you hit the nail on the head. if he wants to criticize, i don't have a problem, everyone has the right to do so. but the personal attacks by pts are unwarranted and in my opinion very unprofessional from a supposed "media professional". i enjoy listening to WLIK broadcasts of both cocke county and cosby basketball games. brian evans does a good job of fairly broadcasting, however seth is overly critical and unprofessional to the point of calling an official out by name on a questionable call. ;)

OK, I admit I don't listen to WLIK's broadcasts. You likely have a point.

As to the comment about the official with the East's ties, where is the line between informing folks as to some information, and making an uncalled-for comment? Is it how he said it, or referenced the information?

I agree that the assocation should make every effort to not have that become a question involving the outcome of a game. However, due to travel times, etc, it is likely very difficult to find refs without ties to a particular school. It also begs the question, can you have a person with Morristown West "ties" call a Morristown East game? Or a Jeff County game? Could there be some other form of bias questioned there? It can't be easy for the assocation to deal with.

On another note, Barb, are you making the trip to Dumplin Valley, or is it a foregone conclusion, so you are going to stay home and listen to it on the radio?

Friday nights in Jefferson County can be eventful!! :o

OK, I admit I don't listen to WLIK's broadcasts. You likely have a point.

As to the comment about the official with the East's ties, where is the line between informing folks as to some information, and making an uncalled-for comment? Is it how he said it, or referenced the information?

I agree that the assocation should make every effort to not have that become a question involving the outcome of a game. However, due to travel times, etc, it is likely very difficult to find refs without ties to a particular school. It also begs the question, can you have a person with Morristown West "ties" call a Morristown East game? Or a Jeff County game? Could there be some other form of bias questioned there? It can't be easy for the assocation to deal with.

On another note, Barb, are you making the trip to Dumplin Valley, or is it a foregone conclusion, so you are going to stay home and listen to it on the radio?

Friday nights in Jefferson County can be eventful!! :o

Goodness I hope we can't sumarily disqualify an official for having "ties" to a school or town or county...We would have to look better than 50 miles away for refs. Seems around here everybody has "ties". It is the south...everyone's related, or haven't you heard? :o

We are just gonna have to bite the bullet and TRUST the officials are impartial if not always accurate.

I am not sure if I will make it to JC on Friday...the Hubby is traveling and not sure if he will be home early enough. Unfortunately, I am unable to transport myself right now or wild horses could not keep me away. I might end up at home listening to Bobby on the radidio...

Goodness I hope we can't sumarily disqualify an official for having "ties" to a school or town or county...We would have to look better than 50 miles away for refs. Seems around here everybody has "ties". It is the south...everyone's related, or haven't you heard? :o

We are just gonna have to bite the bullet and TRUST the officials are impartial if not always accurate.

I am not sure if I will make it to JC on Friday...the Hubby is traveling and not sure if he will be home early enough. Unfortunately, I am unable to transport myself right now or wild horses could not keep me away. I might end up at home listening to Bobby on the radidio...

however funny....this quote as to ties is probably the closest to being correct.

if you discount every one who works in or around the community, goes to church w/ some of the families, is kin to, is an alumni of a particular school, is friends w/ someone maybe a fellow ref that has kids in the conference...hey i know let the parents volunteer...best case scenario is count to 10 before pointing fingers. speaking my opinion about Morristown East,

and the teams i've seen them play, I can't say that any of the games can be summed up in one play or call. thats why the game lasts for 32 minutes.

Edited by trottercoach

I'm going to have to start online earlier on Thursday's and Friday's, I always seem to miss out on all the fun. :o

I don't have anything to add, other than the fact that Barb is right - Just when you think a call is going to be a charge, its a block, and vice versa.

A person could charge 10 times in a row and the ref is not going to call it but half the time, just because things happen so fast, and its an instinct call, plus he would get booed out of the gym for calling 10 charges in a row. Ive found that more times than not, if a block or charge is called on one play, the very next time it will be called the opposite.

Anyway, I'm going to go with a couple of "upsets" tomorrow - Greeneville, Cherokee and Morristown West.