I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course the irony would be that someone with a kid that plays at east would find out from a greeneville fan....."now I dont keer who ya are, boy at dar's funny" yep

I was just curious. I know that at the greeneville and morristown east game the parents in the stands were a little crazy. They were just running their mouth and bad mouthing the coaches. I know that Livesay has done a good job to bring the out of that cellar. One of the comments was we won't have to worry about his coaching decisions this year.

Trotter, PTS - what will it take for CC and East to get the most out of their talent level? Time? Coaching?

CC is young but having watched Newport Grammar play the last 3-4 seasons, most of those girls know how to play together and have never seemed to have a problem doing so.

East is a mix of seniors, freshman and some in between, not really any star players. Going 15 deep from the opening whistle can't help any cohesiveness or help players get in any kind of flow.

I think the issue at CC is a little two-fold. The freshmen carried CC to a lot of their wins this year. The seniors were somewhat disappointing. If Coach O'Neil could've been able to count on something outside of Depews 15 and Buda's 7-10 ppg, it may have been easier on him, to gameplan with? I dont know, I'm not a coach..

But Thats what I was referring to the scratching the surface. If those seniors were consistent, I believe they would've won a game somewhere in the IMAC to get to .500.

In the future, those girls from Newport Grammar know how to play together and thats not a problem and are a solid foundation. But where does O'Neil get his depth from?

Player development was an issue someone brought up earlier in the thread, is that an issue? Maybe (I thought they played their best 3 games in the opening 3 games of the year), but the Cocke County Elementary System is the worst feeder system on the planet and does little to prepare girls for high level Class AAA basketball.

This system runs off 2-3 zones and usually one or two girls do all the ball handling and shooting. By the time girls get to high school, they dont know how to play a man defense or play against a man defense. A lot of the girls I see dont even know how to shoot correctly.

You have to count on those girls, but you just cant work on getting that ready to go and neglecting all other issues.

The talented girls who find their ways into solid AAU programs will grow, develop and all that stuff, but the girls you need for roleplayers and off the bench in this county, just dont come about because the elementary system stinks and doesnt prepare girls for AAA basketball. Those girls wont find their way into an established AAU program because thats not going to happen and frankly some of the elementary girls wouldnt want to be that committed to be in a summer AAU league.

Edited by PTSportsWriter

Is there any truth to the rumor that both Morristown East and Cocke County coaches are done after this year?

I've not heard that one.

O'Neil took the program when no one wanted it at Cocke County, suffered through some miserable years with little talent.

He's got talent now, so i dont think he'd be "done" after going 16-10 a year after going 2-29.

I was just curious. I know that at the greeneville and morristown east game the parents in the stands were a little crazy. They were just running their mouth and bad mouthing the coaches. I know that Livesay has done a good job to bring the out of that cellar. One of the comments was we won't have to worry about his coaching decisions this year.

you know and this is for sure not to ruffle any feathers, but coaches really are in a no win situation.... if every body plays and you lose(enough said) if certain players play and others dont and you lose..well we all believe that our kid could have made the difference (again enough said) and its not much different if you win...playing time, points, etc...and i'm right there w/ them(we're parents) but there is a point of being unrealistic and maybe even selfish...I'll go on the record as saying my daughter is a better player than she has shown this year so when she sits, I know its up to her....it aint the coaches fault because she has had the opportunities...it comes through in spurts but that wont get it done...especially as an underclassman, it has to be undeniable...

I think the issue at CC is a little two-fold. The freshmen carried CC to a lot of their wins this year. The seniors were somewhat disappointing. If Coach O'Neil could've been able to count on something outside of Depews 15 and Buda's 7-10 ppg, it may have been easier on him, to gameplan with? I dont know, I'm not a coach..

But Thats what I was referring to the scratching the surface. If those seniors were consistent, I believe they would've won a game somewhere in the IMAC to get to .500.

In the future, those girls from Newport Grammar know how to play together and thats not a problem and are a solid foundation. But where does O'Neil get his depth from?

Player development was an issue someone brought up earlier in the thread, is that an issue? Maybe (I thought they played their best 3 games in the opening 3 games of the year), but the Cocke County Elementary System is the worst feeder system on the planet and does little to prepare girls for high level Class AAA basketball.

This system runs off 2-3 zones and usually one or two girls do all the ball handling and shooting. By the time girls get to high school, they dont know how to play a man defense or play against a man defense. A lot of the girls I see dont even know how to shoot correctly.

You have to count on those girls, but you just cant work on getting that ready to go and neglecting all other issues.

The talented girls who find their ways into solid AAU programs will grow, develop and all that stuff, but the girls you need for roleplayers and off the bench in this county, just dont come about because the elementary system stinks and doesnt prepare girls for AAA basketball. Those girls wont find their way into an established AAU program because thats not going to happen and frankly some of the elementary girls wouldnt want to be that committed to be in a summer AAU league.

I would like to add to this "committed "statement and whether its a popular opinion or not....look at how many of the kids in the imac participate in basketball year round exclusively.(aau, camps, trainers, summer and fall league, etc.)

then compare that list with box scores, also account for their ages and see what you come up with. i dont really have a point just observing.

I would like to add to this "committed "statement and whether its a popular opinion or not....look at how many of the kids in the imac participate in basketball year round exclusively.(aau, camps, trainers, summer and fall league, etc.)

then compare that list with box scores, also account for their ages and see what you come up with. i dont really have a point just observing.

You have confused me (not difficult to do, by the way). Are you saying that the "committed" girls are the one that are dominating the box scores?

Or are you saying that many of the basketball players are also playing other sports at the high schools, so you are referring to those sports box scores?

Sorry, I am probably just a little dense today. :thumb:

You have confused me (not difficult to do, by the way). Are you saying that the "committed" girls are the one that are dominating the box scores?

Or are you saying that many of the basketball players are also playing other sports at the high schools, so you are referring to those sports box scores?

Sorry, I am probably just a little dense today. :thumb:

LOL :lol: no i confuse myself most of the time...i think that the committed girls are whats dominating w/ maybe a couple of exceptions that i cant think of......back a hundred years ago when i played...you could play multiple sports and even accel in one or two but the competition today deteres it

Trotter, PTS - what will it take for CC and East to get the most out of their talent level? Time? Coaching?

CC is young but having watched Newport Grammar play the last 3-4 seasons, most of those girls know how to play together and have never seemed to have a problem doing so.

East is a mix of seniors, freshman and some in between, not really any star players. Going 15 deep from the opening whistle can't help any cohesiveness or help players get in any kind of flow.

Anyway for Greeneville to keep up with the score of the games tonight at CCHS? Will anyone be listening on the radio that can update coachT?

OK, I am going to make a stab at it:

AAU players by school (this is going to be dominated by Soph and up, as I know them better)

Greeneville:

Deans (Flight), Dickson (Flight), McIntyre (Stars), Medlin (Stars). To my knowledge, Carter and Lamons did not play AAU.

West:

George (Stars), Fanney (Trotters). Maybe some of the sophs do, and I just don't know them. Freshman I would need help. To my knowledge, none of the Seniors played AAU last Spring.

Cherokee:

Not aware of any. I think Ewing and Avery play softball, which would conflict.

East:

Swagerty (Trotters), Orrick (Trotters), L Leeper (Stars), Holt, E Hale has in the past, S Hale (Trotters), I know I am missing people here, help TrotterCoach! Morrill plays softball.

Cocke County:

Buda, Depew (Did they play for Pride or Flight?)

Jefferson:

Brooks (Stars), Whiteside (Trotters), Batey (Trotters), Lyke (Stars), Williams (Trotters), Hodge (Trotters), McWilliams (Trotters), Elliott (Stars). Potts plays softball.

Additions or corrections accepted. :thumb:

LOL :thumb: no i confuse myself most of the time...i think that the committed girls are whats dominating w/ maybe a couple of exceptions that i cant think of......back a hundred years ago when i played...you could play multiple sports and even accel in one or two but the competition today deteres it

You are probably right in most cases, but at Jeff Co, that isn't the case - not saying that anyone is dominating at JC lol.

The three upperclassmen, Chambers, Potts and Elliott aren't year round players. Potts plays softball spring through fall. Elliott is a swimming standout, and does that during the summer,, but i think she may also play travel ball.

Lyke plays travel ball throughout the summer, but her numbers have pretty much steadily dropped off throughout the season. I'm not sure if Nelson is on a summer team or not, but suffice to stay, as a freshman, she has the tools to be an all-conference point guard before her time is through.

Well now after I've said that, maybe you are right. Jeff County does have three girls coming up next year that have played travel ball together, little Kyle and Huff and Lacy Miller.

With the loss of only one senior, that should raise the overall depth and talent level of the team, kinda like cocke county this year. The only problem is, none of the are as tall as depew. Which is why PTS and I are in negotiations for a trade of some sorts.

Edited by DZbettin