I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say that I was impressed with the Cocke County team. Excellent point guard and everybody else was big. ladyredfan said they were going to have to be more physical? If this game had been any more physical, it would have been an Ultimate Fighting Championship match. I believe 61 fouls were called. The officiating was actually pretty good, compared to what we usually see up here. The crew was from Knoxville, I believe. The Lady Red are a very young team, and will be something to contend with for a while, I think. Also, they brought a very good crowd, and a great student section, who were loud, into the game, but yet in a respectful way. Good luck next season.

Edited by bucdaddio

Yeah we've had a pretty civilized board this season, and then dick wants to come and ruin it for everyone. Ill hang around with ya for another week or so barbie, I'm still waiting the final post of the year from RR

DZ, sorry, I have been out of it since Thursday PM. If anybody wants to know, I can quote you the mileage and driving time (reasonable speeds, that is) from the Vanderbilt area to Tennessee High.

I think I need some time to think through my "final post", but I will take one shot here about Friday's Tenn High/ Jeff game.

If these refs call a lot of Powell games, then I don't wonder that Hollifiield had such great rebounding stats. I don't think they have read the rules section on what is an " over the back" call.

That is not a shot at Tenn High, I think they were the better team Friday night. But when you box out, and someone goes over your back and gets the ball, or tips it to a teammate, then as undersized as we are, it becomes a long night. I knew it was going to be bad when Nelson got a shot blocked by Nikata Jones, when Jones used the 1/2 tomahawk, 1/2 sweep motion, got ball, arm, head, etc, and nothing is called. We could never adapt to that style, and along with the zone press that Tenn High employed in the 3rd qtr, it proved too much for us.

More when I have gotten over drive lag.

Good luck Lady Devils!! And no one has pointed out the obvious, but District 1 is assured a sub state game this year. I know it has been at least three years, has it been longer?

Edited by raiderray

DZ, sorry, I have been out of it since Thursday PM. If anybody wants to know, I can quote you the mileage and driving time (reasonable speeds, that is) from the Vanderbilt area to Tennessee High.

I think I need some time to think through my "final post", but I will take one shot here about Friday's Tenn High/ Jeff game.

If these refs call a lot of Powell games, then I don't wonder that Hollifiield had such great rebounding stats. I don't think they have read the rules section on what is an " over the back" call.

That is not a shot at Tenn High, I think they were the better team Friday night. But when you box out, and someone goes over your back and gets the ball, or tips it to a teammate, then as undersized as we are, it becomes a long night. I knew it was going to be bad when Nelson got a shot blocked by Nikata Jones, when Jones used the 1/2 tomahawk, 1/2 sweep motion, got ball, arm, head, etc, and nothing is called. We could never adapt to that style, and along with the zone press that Tenn High employed in the 3rd qtr, it proved too much for us.

Good luck Lady Devils!! And no one has pointed out the obvious, but District 1 is assured a sub state game this year. I know it has been at least three years, has it been longer?

2004 Heritage @ GHS

2005 OakRidge(I think) @ GHS

2006 GHS @ Farragut

just FYI; "over the back" as you call it, is not a foul. nowhere in the rules book is "over the back" mentioned. however, a push is. if a rebounder simply out-jumps an opposing player from behind and tips or controls the ball it is not a foul. the "principle of verticality" :D applies here. there has to be contact from the person behind to have a foul called. thought you might like to know.

Just wanted to say that I was impressed with the Cocke County team. Excellent point guard and everybody else was big. ladyredfan said they were going to have to be more physical? If this game had been any more physical, it would have been an Ultimate Fighting Championship match. I believe 61 fouls were called. The officiating was actually pretty good, compared to what we usually see up here. The crew was from Knoxville, I believe. The Lady Red are a very young team, and will be something to contend with for a while, I think. Also, they brought a very good crowd, and a great student section, who were loud, into the game, but yet in a respectful way. Good luck next season.

Buc

That was the most physical team Cocke County had played aside from Bearden this season And maybe aside from the 2nd time they played Morristown East.

I thought Boone was the more physical team.

I had something around 58 fouls called (I likely missed one or two in the final minute) and TriCitiesSports.com had 61 fouls called. It was physical from the outset and they couldnt call every foul or they would've had bring out the JV squads to finish the game. Did you see anything on the technical on Depew (#35)? I've heard about 5 different versions and none of the 5 have been the same.

Bottom line of the game was, despite CC's lack of halfcourt offense (except Depew), they were still in the game, which bodes well for their future. At the same time, Boone's speed and quickness gave them a huge advantage, especially in the post.

The student section was about the entire Cocke County football team. Head football coach David Crawford brought them up on a bus. I think it became a bit funny for him when he found out Jenkins was Campbell's assistant and Crawford had brought the whole team.

Greeneville vs. Daniel Boone (Part 3)

Will anything be different in this game than the previous two? I see Boone trying to push the tempo and score more points. People have commented on Boone's physical play as of late, but I don't see Greeneville being intimidated by that. Greeneville is a very physical and sound defensive team. Look for Boon to try and change things up on defense. Greeneville needs the three post to play big again. If they do what they did against South I predict a win for the Lady Devils. Any other thought on this game?

Greeneville vs. Daniel Boone (Part 3)

Will anything be different in this game than the previous two? I see Boone trying to push the tempo and score more points. People have commented on Boone's physical play as of late, but I don't see Greeneville being intimidated by that. Greeneville is a very physical and sound defensive team. Look for Boon to try and change things up on defense. Greeneville needs the three post to play big again. If they do what they did against South I predict a win for the Lady Devils. Any other thought on this game?

If Dickson can show the muscle she did against South, ain't no way Boone is gonna stop her no matter how physical they play.