Maryville vs Mo-town West (again!)

Past30

Because the last time TSSAA classified schools the Rebs were below the requisite number for a 5A school. These numbers for all schools ebb and flow. Some gain in numbers and others lose students. In Knoxville, for example, at least two schools -- Farragut and Karns -- will lose in absolute numbers once the new high school on Hardin Valley is built. Farragut will stay 5A but Karns will most likely move to 4A, depending on what the school board ultimately does.

TSSAA doesn't force an automatic reclassification once a school exceeds the lower classification number unless the increase is so dramatic that it exceeds something like a 20% increase. Murvul is still not that far above the current 4A classification so it's not a given that the school will move to 5A in 2009. It all depends on what the population is in all the schools statewide at the time -- in other words, the cutoffs that exist now might change at that time.

Also, if MoWest was playing Rhea County instead of MHS then they would have even less of a chance in the game. Rhea has more students than Maryville.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mowest 17

Maryville 14

TROJAN NATION!

I'll be there cheering on my Trojans..

I was also told, though, that administration was informed that West was not allowed to have flags at the game...Anyone know if there is truth to this?

Maryville School Policy prohibits any flags on poles. The flag itself is okay, but it can not be on a pole, stick, etc. You will see Rebel flags being worn by MHS students as capes, etc., but they will not be on poles. Also no air horns, etc. are allowed in stadium. There is a sign posted at each gate listing prohibited items. Hope this helps. If you bring something that is not allowed myself, or one of my associates (aka MPD officers) will politely inform you it is not allowed. Have a safe trip down.

P.S. Found one other problem with your post. Your prediction is off.

MHS REBELS 38

MO. WEST 20

Edited by tnnitehawk

Maryville School Policy prohibits any flags on poles. The flag itself is okay, but it can not be on a pole, stick, etc. You will see Rebel flags being worn by MHS students as capes, etc., but they will not be on poles. Also no air horns, etc. are allowed in stadium. There is a sign posted at each gate listing prohibited items. Hope this helps. If you bring something that is not allowed myself, or one of my associates (aka MPD officers) will politely inform you it is not allowed. Have a safe trip down.

NiteHawk,

Is there any chance you or one of your associates could provide a list of items prohibited/allowed? That could certainly help with the flow on the visitors side and prevent any problems at the gate - I could make sure it is relayed to the Morristown West folks.

Thanks.

Well i thought Red Bank had a great shot at Maryville, I guess i was wrong. If maryville plays the way they did against Red Bank then i pick maryville 35 morristown west 10, if not then who knows, i really have no idea how good morristown west is but, i have seen a lot of high school football and maryville is the best team in the state, in my opinion. Also, i am coming up from chattanooga what time do i need to leave if i want a seat and a parking spot? let me know and i would appreciate it. Go Rebels get another ring!!!

I don't know if this is true, but I heard Tyler Maples(Maryville) runs a 4.4 forty. At practice Michael Kelley seems to be the fastest in sprints, although his size limits his playing time. One of the signs of a great program is how many you have on 2nd and 3rd string that would start somewhere else, I know this is true of Maryville and I am confident Mo-West has the same calibur of depth.

Who coaches the scout team for Maryville? At the times I've been able to watch a little practice, I believe the scout team runs the offense better than the future opponent (i.e. Knox West). To me, that's where the depth of a team can really make a difference. That may be why Maryville reloads- what a great learning experience when you go against the first team defense or offense in practice everyday. I know this sounds a bit arrogant on the Maryville side of things, but when I see the scout team completing passes and making good runs against the first teamers, I think, "Man, we're in trouble!" Then we play the game, and bam! The defense is right on top of it! I wonder if any of Maryville's players ever felt practice was much tougher than the game?

Well i thought Red Bank had a great shot at Maryville, I guess i was wrong. If maryville plays the way they did against Red Bank then i pick maryville 35 morristown west 10, if not then who knows, i really have no idea how good morristown west is but, i have seen a lot of high school football and maryville is the best team in the state, in my opinion. Also, i am coming up from chattanooga what time do i need to leave if i want a seat and a parking spot? let me know and i would appreciate it. Go Rebels get another ring!!!

im an upperclassmen student, so i have a somewhat reserved seat in the student section, and i get there no later than 550...as just a fan, i would get there no later than 515 if you want a choice seat, and not have to stand the majority of the time...

Edited by ladyrebel08kc

bmart, if the MoWest 2006 defense is as good as 2003's defense, then that is a mouthful. West did a good job against Mairvul's offense both games in 2003. Do you think MoWest has played as good a schedule as they played in 2003?

This Mairvul team is a quite a bit better all around than the 2003 team. They are better upfront on defense than the 2003 Rebels and have a few more playmakers on offense than the 2003 offense. In addition, they are a lot healthier at this point in the season, than they were in 2003.

I'm lookin' fer a good game.

Sorry it took a while to reply StarsnBars, work you know. My oldest played on the 03 defense (my youngest on this defense as a sophomore) and that is a mouthful but I believe it true. As for the schedule, the same except that we played KWest instead of Maryville this year so it stands to reason 2003 schedule was tougher. As I recall the regular season game between MWest and Maryville was a good game.

MWest offense is a little different than what Maryville has been used to seeing, I'm sure film has shown that.

Anyway, after catching up on all the posts the bottom line is the 2 best teams in East Tennessee will be playing Friday and that's the way it should be......

See if you can keep the temperature above freezing Friday night!!! LOL!

Sorry it took a while to reply StarsnBars, work you know. My oldest played on the 03 defense (my youngest on this defense as a sophomore) and that is a mouthful but I believe it true. As for the schedule, the same except that we played KWest instead of Maryville this year so it stands to reason 2003 schedule was tougher. As I recall the regular season game between MWest and Maryville was a good game.

MWest offense is a little different than what Maryville has been used to seeing, I'm sure film has shown that.

Anyway, after catching up on all the posts the bottom line is the 2 best teams in East Tennessee will be playing Friday and that's the way it should be......

See if you can keep the temperature above freezing Friday night!!! LOL!

bmart,

Knowing the 2003 #48's location, who will he be rooting for? Just kidding, I know where his heart is.

For those who may not know, Hamblen Co. Commission approved the budget ammendment for artificial turf at Burke-Toney. Thanks to all County Commissioners for a unanimous vote.

Now, on to more important things - what kind of fare is available at the M'ville concession stands?