Temple

its not recruiting (as defined by TSSAA) if a student shows up at your school, goes through the application process, pays enrollement and starts practicing.

It is against the rules but it is not recruiting. I am sure they looked into whether or not these guys are recruited and obviously they did not find anything.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is considered recruiting if the student is still enrolled and attending another school. Once summer vacation starts, all bets are off. The students in question were enrolled and attending other high schools and were not considered students at Temple. They could have applied, paid a down payment, etc. at several schools, but until they attend they are not students and thus any contact is recruiting. By the way, they did not just show up and practice. Contact was made by someone or someones.

It is considered recruiting if the student is still enrolled and attending another school. Once summer vacation starts, all bets are off. The students in question were enrolled and attending other high schools and were not considered students at Temple. They could have applied, paid a down payment, etc. at several schools, but until they attend they are not students and thus any contact is recruiting. By the way, they did not just show up and practice. Contact was made by someone or someones.

You probably should read the TSSAA's definition of recruiting in their handbook rather than making up your own or passing judgment based upon your assumptions.

I am sure you are insightful enough to realize that if the TSSAA had any hard evidence of recruiting, they would have felt obligated to list it as one of the charges.

Did any recruiting go on? I am sure it did. But the only thing the TSSAA can charge Temple with is documented, proven charges. Most of the other stuff is just "he said, she said" stuff and does not hold up.

If they are not already, I imagine the leadership around Temple are fast becoming experts on the TSSAA handbook.

its not recruiting (as defined by TSSAA) if a student shows up at your school, goes through the application process, pays enrollement and starts practicing.

It is against the rules but it is not recruiting. I am sure they looked into whether or not these guys are recruited and obviously they did not find anything.

Actually any contacts with the coaching staff while a student is attending another school can be technically be viewed as recruiting (so it would apply to Larson and the 2 CSAS kids who attended spring practices). The TSSAA choose not to pursue this for some reason...possibly because the rules are a little vague in this situation. Also some people that came forth with information early in the investigation choose not to go on record with their comments which made the case for recruiting weaker. It's not that they did not find anything...... just people didn't want to go on record....Temple was lucky!

Temple was found guilty of allowing two players not enrolled at the school to practice with the football team in the spring of 2007 and one player not enrolled to practice in the spring of 2006. Also, while he was an unpaid assistant football coach last season, Scott Chastain paid no tuition for his son, an eighth-grader who played in three games

(This is quoted from the Times-Free Press article)

I believe that the player in 06 was Erik Larson. What I don't know is how the TSSAA did not interpret the spring practice as a violation of the recruiting rule due to the contact that occured between the players in question and the coaches while the students were not yet students at Temple.

What about Skogen? I believe the Chattanooga paper had them as "exchanging" coaching for tuition which is a clear violation.

Temple filed some late paperwork to the IRS showing Skogen had been paid

No doubt a cover up, otherwise why would you file "late". Temple got off "scott free" IMHO. Temple has pushed the envelope "so to speak" on several different occassions with the T$$AA doing little or nothing about it. This further confirms my suspicions that Temple can do anything, violate any rule, illegally recruit etc.. and get away with it because they know in the end TSSAA won't do anything to them. There is no way you can tell me they didn't give the Skogens free tuition to go there and win state championships for them. I believe they were even quoted in the Chattanooga paper admitting this very thing and if i'm wrong on that then someone please tell me exactly what was said so i don't say something that isn't factual as i like to get all the facts straight.

No doubt a cover up, otherwise why would you file "late". Temple got off "scott free" IMHO. Temple has pushed the envelope "so to speak" on several different occassions with the T$$AA doing little or nothing about it. This further confirms my suspicions that Temple can do anything, violate any rule, illegally recruit etc.. and get away with it because they know in the end TSSAA won't do anything to them. There is no way you can tell me they didn't give the Skogens free tuition to go there and win state championships for them. I believe they were even quoted in the Chattanooga paper admitting this very thing and if i'm wrong on that then someone please tell me exactly what was said so i don't say something that isn't factual as i like to get all the facts straight.

So, are you saying that two years restrictive probation in football, a stripped regional title, a year's probation for the total athletic program, and over $4000 in fines, reimbursements, and penalties is an example of the TSSAA's not doing anything to Temple?

I would suggest you go back and read the paper for yourself if you really did want to know but it does not sound like you are really interested in knowing what was really said. You seem more interested in your own particular spin.

No doubt a cover up, otherwise why would you file "late". Temple got off "scott free" IMHO. Temple has pushed the envelope "so to speak" on several different occassions with the T$AA doing little or nothing about it. This further confirms my suspicions that Temple can do anything, violate any rule, illegally recruit etc.. and get away with it because they know in the end TSSAA won't do anything to them. There is no way you can tell me they didn't give the Skogens free tuition to go there and win state championships for them. I believe they were even quoted in the Chattanooga paper admitting this very thing and if i'm wrong on that then someone please tell me exactly what was said so i don't say something that isn't factual as i like to get all the facts straight.

They filed late to meet IRS requirements. I personally don't think the Skogen thing was a big deal because a head coach in 2 sports deserves some pay. All Temple had to do was write Coach Skogen a check and then have him write them a check back. Temple was penalized for what could be proven and proving some things is nearly impossible if people decide they don't want to get in the middle of something. I think Temple got lucky but they didn't get off scott free either. They got the maximum penalities allowed in the rules for the violations they were sited for.

So, are you saying that two years restrictive probation in football, a stripped regional title, a year's probation for the total athletic program, and over $4000 in fines, reimbursements, and penalties is an example of the TSSAA's not doing anything to Temple?

I would suggest you go back and read the paper for yourself if you really did want to know but it does not sound like you are really interested in knowing what was really said. You seem more interested in your own particular spin.

No that is not enough they should have been stripped of their state championship in basketball as well. I would very much like to read the paper myself if you could provide me with that link it would be much appreciated. The punishment Temple received is a mere smack on the hand. You are obviously a Temple backer so i can understand your biased opinion. What about the school filing "LATE" paperwork on Skogen? Yes in fact all they had to do was write him a check and then he could write them one back however that wasn't what happened but then again thats just mere speculation on my part. I have nothing factual to base that on other than "common sense" knowledge. Either way its over and done with, as usual though, the private sector got away with illegal recruiting for the most part outside of the minor penalties imposed on the schools football program. This will always be a problem until they separate the privates and the publics. Temple and the rest of the privates should be playing DII in all sports. They recruit as much as Brentwood Academy does and so do the rest of them including Friendship Christian. Its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whats going on when you have kids on the team from different parts of the state and in Temple's case from other states as well. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

After listening to only about half of what was said on Temple's radio station due to the fact that I did not know it was even on the radio today, I could not believe what I was hearing. Slanderous statements by Temple's reps and lawyer against the TSSAA and Stephen Hargis, a total denial of doing anything wrong ( the rules were only minor ones, etc. according to Temple), and absolutely NO MENTION of the violation involving Erik Larson. I have posted on here before that I believe that Larson's participation in spring practice in '06 which was documented by the TSSAA is a violation of the TSSAA recruiting rule. I am listing some of what the TSSAA says is recruiting and undue influence. Since Larson practiced (and played in the spring game as did the two kids from CSAS) when he was not a student and that obviously mean "prearranged contact", etc., I am at a loss how this was not part of the findings by TSSAA. There was no need for any proof other than the fact that he was at practice. The TSSAA penalty for this is listed as being ineligible at the school involved which would mean a forfeiture of all football and basketball games played by Larson, including the state title in basketball. If I am reading this wrong, someone explain to me what you see that I don't!

2007-08 TSSAA Handbook

Private or parochial schools may not contact students enrolled at the public schools. Public

schools may not contact students enrolled at the private schools.

5. Any contact between a member of the coaching staff or representative of the school and

prospective student/athletes prior to, during, or after contests at elementary schools, middle

schools, and junior high schools except where there is a definite pattern.

Q. How is undue influence interpreted in the recruiting rule?

A. A person or persons exceeding what is appropriate or normal and offering an incentive or

inducement to a student with or without an athletic record.

Q. What is the penalty for violation of the recruiting rule?

A. Violation of the recruiting rule shall cause the student to be ineligible at the school in violation, and a

penalty shall be placed against the school.

Q. Is it permissible for a coach to contact a student or his/her parents prior to his enrollment in the

school?

A. No, a coach may not contact a student or his/her parents prior to his enrollment in the school. This

shall apply to all students whether or not they have an athletic record.

Enrolled – A student is considered “enrolled” at a school, for purposes of these Bylaws, when the student has (a) completed all

paperwork required for attendance at the school; (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> paid all deposits and tuition due where applicable; and © either (i) attended

classes for three days; (ii) engaged in three or more days of football, girls volleyball, cross country, golf, or girls soccer practice during

the period on or after the Monday of the week of August 1; or (iii) participated in an athletic contest in any sport. A student may not be

considered to be enrolled in more than one school at any time.

I was dissapointed that Hargis and someone from TSSAA weren't on the forum (they were invited.) I would like to have heard their rebuttals to some of Temple's claims. Maybe that's why they didn't show up. They may have decided not to come when they heard Walter Williams would be on the panel. That man tells it like it is.