Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

Kevin Skogen was the head coach when Larson practiced. He was the head coach for the entire time Temple has had a football team. I believe that Kevin Skogen was told that this policy (letting kids practice who were not attending Temple) was okay. The question is who told him it was okay and how long had things like this gone at Temple and was football the only sport it happened in?

Thanks. If Coach Skogen was the head coach in the spring of 06 and Larson or others came out and practiced with Temple while attending other schools (like the CSAS kids did this year) then it would change my opinion on his involvement. The "somebody told me it was OK" is being used too much by Temple and just doesn't hold water.

Good point. If the Head Coaches and Admin all thought it was OK then did this also occur in previous years ???

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you expect anything else from a school that is in total denial? I've said it before and I'll say it again, the TSSAA cannot afford to let this slide with a slap on the wrist. Lack of institutional control at the very least with hefty fines....

I'm pretty sure LOIC is a term that will be used in this case. Even the Temple supporters have acknowledged that their Admin didn't know what they were doing.

This would make no difference as far as the TSSAA is concerned. The bottom line is he was not a student enrolled and attending the school he was practicing with.

Home schooling does carry a few different rules. There are kids that are home schooled and get to participate in atheletic events with schools that they are obviously not enrolled in. However; I don't know what those specific rules are and how it would apply to a kid coming from another state. I do not think he was being home schooled though.

You may have hit the nail on the head right there.

As far as defending coach Chastain, there has been more reason as of late, you will agree, to take a much closer look and as new information is revealed, I reserve the right to make new decisions based on new information. I will however continue to believe the best about him and others and to defend them as much as I realistically can but there are some things that are indefensible.

I suspect that Chastain is lying to cover his rear. Those papers he read on the radio do not mean anything. How did he know which kids to go and get papers from?

TNT, you may or may not remember that I was not all that savvy on the rules before either and since I have become more familiar with them, I have found it very difficult to grasp how anyone who is the head football coach at any high school can ignorantly violate clear cut rules. Sounds like Bill Clinton, "I did not have sex with that woman."

Thanks for that honest assesment.

Home schooling does carry a few different rules. There are kids that are home schooled and get to participate in atheletic events with schools that they are obviously not enrolled in. However; I don't know what those specific rules are and how it would apply to a kid coming from another state. I do not think he was being home schooled though.

He was at SE Whitfield prior to going to Temple

QUOTE(taydizzle @ Aug 18 2007 - 08:56 PM) *

Kevin Skogen was the head coach when Larson practiced. He was the head coach for the entire time Temple has had a football team. I believe that Kevin Skogen was told that this policy (letting kids practice who were not attending Temple) was okay. The question is who told him it was okay and how long had things like this gone at Temple and was football the only sport it happened in?

Thanks. If Coach Skogen was the head coach in the spring of 06 and Larson or others came out and practiced with Temple while attending other schools (like the CSAS kids did this year) then it would change my opinion on his involvement. The "somebody told me it was OK" is being used too much by Temple and just doesn't hold water.

Good point. If the Head Coaches and Admin all thought it was OK then did this also occur in previous years ???

No, I don't think that's quite accurate.

If my memory serves me correctly, Coach Skogen wasn't the Head Coach. In fact, he may never have been the head coach. I believe last year he and Coach Beard were "co-head coaches" or something like that. Coach Skogen ran the offense, Coach Chastain was in charge of the defense, and Coach Beard had oversight of the entire team. In previous years, Coach Beard was the Head Coach and in charge of the defense, and Coach Skogen was the offensive coordinator/coach.

And for the comment regarding Coach Skogen's playing experience, he played both in high school and college out on the West Coast - and quite a few years ago. Rules vary from state to state, and things have certainly changed over the last 20 some years. So, the line of argument that because he played at one time and should therefore know all transfer rules doesn't hold a lot of water. Perhaps other lines of argumentation regarding rules could be used, but not that one.

No, I don't think that's quite accurate.

If my memory serves me correctly, Coach Skogen wasn't the Head Coach. In fact, he may never have been the head coach. I believe last year he and Coach Beard were "co-head coaches" or something like that. Coach Skogen ran the offense, Coach Chastain was in charge of the defense, and Coach Beard had oversight of the entire team. In previous years, Coach Beard was the Head Coach and in charge of the defense, and Coach Skogen was the offensive coordinator/coach.

Now the water is muddy again I didn't think Coach Skogen was head or co-head until this year but I really wasn't sure. It seems the pay-tuition deal with his sons was only this past year because he was both head BB and FB coach. The question I have is.... Was he the head or co-head coach in the spring of 06? Anybody?

Old Pirate asks, did you see any spring practices? ALL/EVERYONE who watched TT in 2005 knew their QB was a senior. Old Pirate finds it impossible to believe that surely a TT fan would be interested in knowing who would replace the departing QB. Football fans (all) who witnessed TT knew they were returning some quality players in 2006. The QB was the MAJOR concern.

Old Pirate says, pasture states he just don't know. HOWEVER, SURELY...... there is at least ONE TT fan who knows the answer to my question. Come on guys...stop the denial.........................................................................

If you go back and read, I think someone already said he was practicing.

Now the water is muddy again I didn't think Coach Skogen was head or co-head until this year but I really wasn't sure. It seems the pay-tuition deal with his sons was only this past year because he was both head BB and FB coach. The question I have is.... Was he the head or co-head coach in the spring of 06? Anybody?

Coach Skogen was not the head coach or co-head coach in Spring '06, as I recall. He was still a volunteer and assistant coach/offensive coordinator. If I had to give a percentage of certainty on this, I'd say I'm 80-85% certain that this was the arrangement.

FWIW.

Coach Skogen was not the head coach or co-head coach in Spring '06, as I recall. He was still a volunteer and assistant coach/offensive coordinator. If I had to give a percentage of certainty on this, I'd say I'm 80-85% certain that this was the arrangement.

FWIW.

I believe from what I have been able to find out that Coach Skogen was always the man in charge as long as he was involved in football. But even if he was only hte offensive coordinator, do you think he might have noticed that there was a new kid behind center that he had never seen before participating in spring practice? And do you think that he might have wondered if this was okay since this kid was not attending Temple yet? And do you think that if he asked any other coach, they must have signed off as well. And do you think that the AD would know what was going on and signed off on it as well, or be very stupid since we are talking about a very small school with all the same kids that play football and basketball. Now all these coaches may not have understood, I guess, and the AD may not have had a clue, I guess, but something tells me they are not that dumb! I would say that all the football coaches at spring practice 2006 and the AD were aware of and signed off on what was happening! Knowledge in the world of TSSAA means accountability!