Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

I believe from what I have been able to find out that Coach Skogen was always the man in charge as long as he was involved in football. But even if he was only hte offensive coordinator, do you think he might have noticed that there was a new kid behind center that he had never seen before participating in spring practice? And do you think that he might have wondered if this was okay since this kid was not attending Temple yet? And do you think that if he asked any other coach, they must have signed off as well. And do you think that the AD would know what was going on and signed off on it as well, or be very stupid since we are talking about a very small school with all the same kids that play football and basketball. Now all these coaches may not have understood, I guess, and the AD may not have had a clue, I guess, but something tells me they are not that dumb! I would say that all the football coaches at spring practice 2006 and the AD were aware of and signed off on what was happening! Knowledge in the world of TSSAA means accountability!

Good post

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe from what I have been able to find out that Coach Skogen was always the man in charge as long as he was involved in football. But even if he was only hte offensive coordinator, do you think he might have noticed that there was a new kid behind center that he had never seen before participating in spring practice? And do you think that he might have wondered if this was okay since this kid was not attending Temple yet? And do you think that if he asked any other coach, they must have signed off as well. And do you think that the AD would know what was going on and signed off on it as well, or be very stupid since we are talking about a very small school with all the same kids that play football and basketball. Now all these coaches may not have understood, I guess, and the AD may not have had a clue, I guess, but something tells me they are not that dumb! I would say that all the football coaches at spring practice 2006 and the AD were aware of and signed off on what was happening! Knowledge in the world of TSSAA means accountability!

Sure.

My post was simply for the sake of getting some of the facts straight (I hope) since questions along those lines were asked.

If you go back and read, I think someone already said he was practicing.

I could have missed something (?), but Old Pirate is only aware of Larson being accused of practicing by a non-temple poster. The second question was he still attending SE Whitfield.

Old Pirate is attempting to get the TT fans to step forward and confirm this rumor. Perhaps........ that would stop the denials and bring closure to this particular lingering question. The TT fans seem to be bashful regarding this issue.

We all know there is some TT fan who can answer both questions. Perhaps they are pleading the 5th.

Now the water is muddy again I didn't think Coach Skogen was head or co-head until this year but I really wasn't sure. It seems the pay-tuition deal with his sons was only this past year because he was both head BB and FB coach. The question I have is.... Was he the head or co-head coach in the spring of 06? Anybody?

I thought that he (Skogen) had been the co-head coach for a couple of years. The story I heard, and mind you this is hearsay - just like most everything else on this thread- is that Skogen could not be head coach in the eyes of the TSSAA since he was not paid by Temple. That could be completly wrong though.

I thought that he (Skogen) had been the co-head coach for a couple of years. The story I heard, and mind you this is hearsay - just like most everything else on this thread- is that Skogen could not be head coach in the eyes of the TSSAA since he was not paid by Temple. That could be completly wrong though.

The TSSAA does not care if you get paid or not as a head coach or as an assistant coach. They allow individual schools and district offices to decide want they want to do or can do concerning pay.

Coach Skogen was not the head coach or co-head coach in Spring '06, as I recall. He was still a volunteer and assistant coach/offensive coordinator. If I had to give a percentage of certainty on this, I'd say I'm 80-85% certain that this was the arrangement.

FWIW.

Who can tell who the coaches are, since they dont pay them.

At most he could only be a co-head until he had 5 years. A non-faculty coach can only be head coach after 5 years of experence as an assistant. Being paid would not make any difference if he didn't have the experence.

B. Head coaches in football, basketball, baseball, girls' softball, and track and field must be full-time employees or a retired educator (see #1 and #2 above).

E. A person who has served as a non-faculty assistant coach in football, basketball, baseball, girls' softball, and track may become a head coach in that sport if that person has five or more years of experience as an assistant coach and has taken the ASEP Coaches Education Course in a TSSAA-approved course and completed the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Session.

Who can tell who the coaches are, since they dont pay them.

They have to send in a report every year

3. Non-faculty coach - - Anyone approved by the principal, superintendent, and/or local board of education in the normal course of employment procedures in accordance with applicable state law. All non-faculty coaches shall be submitted to the state office annually. Use of a non-faculty coach who has not met all the requirements listed below or who has not been submitted to the state office shall result in a fine of $500.00.

No, I don't think that's quite accurate.

If my memory serves me correctly, Coach Skogen wasn't the Head Coach. In fact, he may never have been the head coach. I believe last year he and Coach Beard were "co-head coaches" or something like that. Coach Skogen ran the offense, Coach Chastain was in charge of the defense, and Coach Beard had oversight of the entire team. In previous years, Coach Beard was the Head Coach and in charge of the defense, and Coach Skogen was the offensive coordinator/coach.

And for the comment regarding Coach Skogen's playing experience, he played both in high school and college out on the West Coast - and quite a few years ago. Rules vary from state to state, and things have certainly changed over the last 20 some years. So, the line of argument that because he played at one time and should therefore know all transfer rules doesn't hold a lot of water. Perhaps other lines of argumentation regarding rules could be used, but not that one.

I bet he claimed to be the head coach when they said will the head coach please step up and accept the region championship trophy. Am I correct??

I bet he was the one on the field for every game in the pre game rule meeting with the refs. Am I correct?

I bet when asked who was the head coach of the Temple football team. After the region play. Everyone said Skogen. Now if that isnt proof of claiming the job what is? I personally remember asking who is that big kid there and a Temple Parent said, Thats the head coaches son. I guess they didnt know either. That was at FC, game 11.

I also bet if they wanted to do a TV program on Temples football team for 2006. He would be named the coach. Now,,, this comes about and he was never the head coach. I say get a gip folks. You must think we bought Clintons story about, I did not have sexual relations with that woman.. Sounds just as stupid. Or O.J.s story. I didnt kill anybody, look the glove dont fit. Shheeez. You guys need to be selling cars at a buy here pay here.

So do we think Temple will even get to play this Friday? I'm trying to decide if I should shoot the game.

Good meeting you at the jamboree. I think it will be a while before it's all settled. First the TSSAA will present it's findings and penalities. Then Temple can appeal some or all of it and Temple can also appeal to the Board of Control. Since Temple is getting their lawyers involved a lawsuit is also possible. It may be a while before any penalties would go into effect. Brentwoods case lasted 10 years and went to the Supreme Court. Of course I don't think Temple has Brentwood's $$$$.

In any case I would expect the game to be played, probably the whole season

I could have missed something (?), but Old Pirate is only aware of Larson being accused of practicing by a non-temple poster. The second question was he still attending SE Whitfield.

Chastain is the one who said Larson was at the spring practice while he was still attending SE Whitfield

I don't know of a rule that says you have to be paid to be head coach. Zonie might be better to answer that. However, if you are a non-faculty assistant, you have to serve in that capacity for a period of 5 years and pass some type of coaching class in order to be a non-faculty head coach.....

You are correct