Knox West v. Halls

KnoxWest#63

I agree. Back in the day no one wanted to play Halls . They were mean and tough. I did see some of the old Halls with some hard hits vs Central. But the Halls teams in the past couple of years haven't shown a mean streak and I know in Ftn. City the kids just don't fear Halls like they once did. In years past you might beat Halls on the score board but come Sat. morning you felt like you had been in a bar room brawl.

I think the Devils will make this a bar fight and win 21-19.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it would be a huge upset at all; however, I am now picking Halls to win this game, and here is why. It is usually about this time of the season when things start "clicking" for the type of offnese that Halls runs. I believe that the first series of the second half against Central was a sign of things to come for the Red Devils. Halls' OL should be able to control the line of scrimmage. The key will be picking up the stunts, twists, and run blitzes that West will deploy. Halls has three very good LBs, led by #22, Will Coley; however, the DL, IMO is still suspect, and to the extent that Caleb Leonard and the rest can get to the LB, will be to the extent to which Halls can run the ball and control the clock.

Halls must not panick if West scores early. Easier said than done when Halls runs an offense that is not designed to play catch up. Halls must stay with their game plan, utilize bubble/slip screens, and stretch the field occasionally with Dayton, all while eating up time. Halls will probably need to take some risks; a fake punt, onside kick, trick play, etc.

West is a very aggressive offense, that can be explosive and, put a lot of points up quickly. I have also seen them seem to get frustrated offensively, and make mistakes going for the big play. Sacks and interceptions will be available. Halls must, and I mean must contain the return game of West. That is the biggest concern I would have. I think it might be about time for Halls to put it all together. Kitts can break tackles. Halls 24, West 21.

ruse?

I agree. Back in the day no one wanted to play Halls . They were mean and tough. I did see some of the old Halls with some hard hits vs Central. But the Halls teams in the past couple of years haven't shown a mean streak and I know in Ftn. City the kids just don't fear Halls like they once did. In years past you might beat Halls on the score board but come Sat. morning you felt like you had been in a bar room brawl.

I think the Devils will make this a bar fight and win 21-19.

The reason teams used to 'fear' Halls was not only due to that toughness, but due to the fact that they had a lot more talent then. I don't mean any disrespect, but Halls hasn't had that same type of talent since the early-mid 90s. Demographics have played a big role in that. When I was in middle school then, Halls was the place to be, especially if you were living in north Knox County. Now, that mentality has certainly changed. I'm not saying that Halls is suddenly a dump now, it's just that the other north Knox communities have blossomed since then. Now instead of the talent being concentrated at one or two schools, it has fanned out across that end of the county.

aww man ruse cm on where is the love man?????...lol although i do think it will be closer than last year i do not believe that Halls will be able to run w/ West...if Halls wants any chanve to even be in this game then they had better get faster quick..because speed kills especially in this region....my prediction.....

West-42

Hallz-14

Speed kills....its as simple as that.... hopefully west's players will back for the gme tho..

aww man ruse cm on where is the love man?????...lol although i do think it will be closer than last year i do not believe that Halls will be able to run w/ West...if Halls wants any chanve to even be in this game then they had better get faster quick..because speed kills especially in this region....my prediction.....

West-42

Hallz-14

Speed kills....its as simple as that.... hopefully west's players will back for the gme tho..

Actually speed doesn't entirely kill in this region, hence why Maryville has been able to shun all the speed that Central/West has had over the years. You can't tell me that Maryville has been faster than Central over the years, it's just not true. To win in this region you better be able to run the ball and stop the run. That's the two main factors to win. That doesn't mean be able to one without the other. You have to be able to do both.

I tend to agree. There is so many intangibles that go into a game. Speed is a excellent equalizer for poor effort in other places. I think West has a great program this year and there athletes have unbelievable pedigree and talent. But like I said before if a couple of breaks go here and there and confidence builds because of it anything can happen for these Red Devils. High School football is no mystery. Stay to the task at hand prepare and execute. If you get beat because of great plays by the other team you just get beat its as simple as that. I still think Halls has a better product than what we have seen so far. I am in Ruse's camp on that one. We'll see.

West-42

Hallz-14

KnoxWest#63

Fresh outta love big biy. Spent it all w/the devil, Red Devil that is. Still got a lot of respect for Cummings & Co. Really like Ryan, Easterly, Wagner, Coley, Whaley, Kolinsky, etc. Just having a fling w/Halls this Friday night. Spice it up:) Halls sneaks by. "Speed, we don't need no stinkin speed" said Murville to Hillsboro, Melrose, Central, etc.

Good luck to both these programs. Both are headed in the right direction.

ruse?

Halls 52

West 49 2 OT

What a game!!

I think Halls was down 28-9 at halftime.

Turnovers played a big part in the comeback. I think West only had to punt one time.

Wes Kitts had to have rushed for over 300 yards and only 1 TD. (The one that won the game in the 2nd OT)

Kevin Waggoner must have had close to 100 yards also.

The stats will be ridiculous for both teams.

Halls may have lost Micah Bolden for the year. They looked pretty grim on the sideline after his knee injury. I hope I am wrong.

West has a great team. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

Hope Micah can come back. He has one of the biggest hearts on the team. Great kid.

Unbelievably awesome game! Last tally I heard was 336 yards for Wesley Kitts. If he's not the PrepXtra player of the week it will be the worst theft since Peyton not winning the Heisman.

Halls was down that bad at the half, but Wesley had to have over 150 yds before the half. We could run the ball on them all night. The difference was turnovers. We had none I can remember and West had at least three, with big Aaron Blair rumblin', bumblin', stumblin' taking one to the house!

Double overtime and 43 points in the second half by Halls. Way to go BIG RED MACHINE!