Maryville vs William Blount

REBELRON

How about the psychology of the game?

My personal thought is that the longer WB keeps it close, the more they start to believe that whole line about "if we win this, it won't be an upset." On the contrary, should MHS strike quickly or stretch out a lead, I'm afraid that WB's composure will fall apart and they'll lose heart.

I've see it so many times in this series. Back in the 4 horsemen days, I sincerely believe (although it ended up like 55-6 I think) that it would have been a great game if David Sweetland hadn't made the greatest play in high school football history by intercepting an option pitch for six. WB believed they would win that game, but got broken with one play.

Or take the aforementioned 8 attempts at the endzone game...WB hung around and with each successive attempt their belief that they were destined to win great exponentially. And they won.

Even last year, WB was the hardest hitting team that I saw MHS play all season. WB was moving the ball on offense and playing stout defense. But Tyler Maples goes 100 yards for a TD and it felt like WB's resolve broke.

How will that play out this year? Anyone have any thoughts?

I think you hit the nail onthe head the longer they hang around the more they believe they can win, but that goes for abuout any game of this magnitude. If MHS strikes first and then holds them I'm like you I think WB will have a tough time staying in it. GQ has a history of taking opponents out of the game Quick and I'd bet you a dollar to a doughnut

that he'll trick 'em within the first half to try and deflate their baloon. this game has a similar feel to the Red Bank game last year.

its like any underdog game (even though some will argue WB is not an underdog in this one, i think its prob safe to say that they are considered the dog by most).

the dog wants to stay in it as long as possible, and the longer it stays in it, the more dangerous it becomes-- i.e. eliminate big plays against and answer points with points while staying w/in a TD.

the favorite wants to put the dog out as soon as possible. case in point- the 55-6 game that was spoken of before, WB could have made a run at Maryville that year, but lost their soul on one big play. when the underdog loses that, its a tough uphill battle to come back.

watch any game where the underdog is playing even with the favorite and you can sense the favorite getting a little antsier with each minute. while the dog's momentum increases each minute.

how close are Maryville - Alcoa - WB? are all these schools zoned or open? lots of talent in one county. are their other high schools in the county?

maybe 7 miles from WB to Alcoa or from Alcoa to MHS or from MHS to WB. yes heritage is another 5a school on the north end of the county. I think both MHS & AHS take tuition students and WB & Heritage are zoned however if you live inside the city limits of either Alcoa or Maryville you can choose to attend a county school if you want to.

Eye thank yee call hit the Blunt Tryangull. Yee come in and aint heered frum no more.

Sunny More cumpootur pole has W. B. #1 in 5A....Mairvul #1 in 4A....Alcouh #1 in 2A....

I SAY WE PACK OUR BAGS AND MEET ALL 3 OF THESE GREAT TEAMS DOWN IN THE BORO AND YELL OUR HEADS OFF FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM.

ALL YOU WB BOYS GO AND YELL FOR MHS, AND AHS. YOU MHS BOYS, YELL FOR WB, AHS, YOU AHS BOYS GO YELL FOR WB AND MHS.

SHOW'EM HOW ITS DONE HERE IN BLOUNT............................................

I KNOW THIS OLD INDIAN SURE IS LOOKING FORWARD TO ALL 3 BEING THERE..............

FBEmetitus you are wrong about coach Meadows ever going over to Maryville to talk football I can promise you that, please tell me when it was, so i can call you out some more on that subject. WB offense is from Troy, and Southlake Carrol in Texas runs it also, not Maryville, but that was a good try to make Meadows look bad, keep trying and making youself look stupid.

Lets just hope that what i have heard from some of the Maryville players isnt true about cheap shots during the game at some of the key WB players

Sir, you are the one who is clueless. I was standing there during practice talking to Scott M. Myself the year after he took over for WB. We talked mostly about family issues. He was there asking GQ where they were going to meet later that week. Many of the Blount County coaches talk football and for you to sit there and say it don't happen is stupid, period. If Coach Meadows looks bad it is on his own accord, I would never disrespect a coach personally. My comment was not to make Coach M look any which way. I now if I was coaching (Again) and had a young guy who is like 105 and 9 at the 4A level I’d ask him some questions myself and think nothing about it. You don't know football.

How about you tell me why Coach M canned that ole' Wang-Tee? Maybe it is because the Offence doesn’t work vs. teams will fast DE and LB's? Or simply there are few teams who use it that can will a championship?

Now you call Maryville a team that takes cheap shots! You need to try to sell stupid else ware, we are full up here.

The MHS Coaching Staff won't allow such things and if you want to think different, so be it!

I will say one thing about the coaching. If this game comes down to coaching Maryville Wins Hands down every time. You can call that a "Lead Pipe Stone Cold Lock"!

I think it is clear who looks silly here.

I will say one thing about the coaching. If this game comes down to coaching Maryville Wins Hands down every time. You can call that a "Lead Pipe Stone Cold Lock"!

good post FBE. though I think you should give Mike and Mike credit for the quote. APA format please. good luck to both teams on Friday. I dont have a dog in the fight, but cant wait to see some great hs football.

Sir, you are the one who is clueless. I was standing there during practice talking to Scott M. Myself the year after he took over for WB. We talked mostly about family issues. He was there asking GQ where they were going to meet later that week. Many of the Blount County coaches talk football and for you to sit there and say it don't happen is stupid, period. If Coach Meadows looks bad it is on his own accord, I would never disrespect a coach personally. My comment was not to make Coach M look any which way. I now if I was coaching (Again) and had a young guy who is like 105 and 9 at the 4A level I’d ask him some questions myself and think nothing about it. You don't know football.

How about you tell me why Coach M canned that ole' Wang-Tee? Maybe it is because the Offence doesn’t work vs. teams will fast DE and LB's? Or simply there are few teams who use it that can will a championship?

Now you call Maryville a team that takes cheap shots! You need to try to sell stupid else ware, we are full up here.

The MHS Coaching Staff won't allow such things and if you want to think different, so be it!

I think it is clear who looks silly here.

Great post! No one can defend the Rebels quite as well as FBE and Rebel Ron.

MHS is anything but cheap

No offense to Meadows, but I've quite honestly never seen GQ get outcoached and I don't expect to this Friday night.

Found this bit of information and thought I would share. Here's the link for the weekly High School Heroes episode on Volunteer TV. Meadows and Quarles both appear to discuss the game Friday night and John Brice, Mark Packer, etc. make their weekly picks. Quite interesting....

Let me know what you think.

http://www.volunteertv.com/sports/headlines/10056846.html