Maryville vs William Blount

REBELRON

Yeah.... Thanks ole buddy...Came home and she was mean as a hornet.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Anytime ole buddy .What are frinds for ?.I will call a few more times this week when you work late and I will have her in such a good mood she will have supper waiting on you and your easy chair warmed up ha ha /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Some great posts here and thoughts. As always I have a few. WB's White Field will be packed with many who support the two teams playing and will have quite a few who can't wait for Maryville to get beat. Make no mistake Maryville is hated in some circles in that part of the county. WB has all the tools. And thus far most of the those tools have worked well for them. Everyone knows that if WB wins the game it will be an upset. Beating Maryville is easier said than done and any team will have to get Maryville to help them to get it done. In other words, Maryville will have to turn the ball over. Here of late Maryville has turned the ball over a bunch compared to previous years.

No way do I see WB shutting down Maryville's passing attack especially if Shiver is ready to play. He creates match up problems for WB IMO. At the same time it is WB running game that concerns me. Up front Maryville will able handle WB part of the time but if Garner gets into the line fast, he'll get his yards. He's a great back and changes directions like Chris McCord used to do for Maryville a few years back. Maryville's LB's not as physical as they need to be this year and garner is pretty fast. Garner is also a passing threat. MHS??™ LB??™s are improving but are not quite there yet. For the first time in memory WB is no longer one dimensional. Burstrum is a good QB and a good decision maker in the one game I saw, the DB game. I don't know about the Owls but TJ Walker was held in check by DB and was a non factor for the Gov's in that game, so he can be blocked. And needs to be. He's a good player and no disrespect meant but DB had his number that game while he was 100%. I am sure he??™ll gibe the Rebels a tough time but he won??™t see 6 sacks vs. the Rebels because Maryville adjusts too well in most cases.

Over all the way I see it the Gov's are pretty good this year, well balanced and they will be tough at home. But if Maryville can get 150 yards on the ground, limit the turnovers and control the ball/clock WB will be #50 in a row. Play sloppy like last week and the Gov's will be dancing in the street and be able to finally get those tee shirt printing presses out of the moth balls.

Not in position to make many "bold predictions" but:

* I'll be very surprised if Maryville exceeds 150 yds rushing

*TJ Walker "WILL BE" a factor in this game . In the DB game, during the time he was being a "non-factor" before he injured his ankle, he was drawing 2--and sometimes 3--blockers. He didn't have many tackles, but the lb's and other d-linemen had a ton because TJ was drawing so much attention. There are more ways to be a factor than just getting tons of sacks or tackles. When Walker plays, he is a factor. He's the best defensive end in this area and one of the best in the state.

*Agree with you that WB is the "underdog". If anyone read TJ's quote in the paper, "we (players) don't believe we're underdogs", I don't think he meant to be talking trash. I believe he was just conveying that WB players and coaches are confident in their own ability and believe they can play with Maryville. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I agree 150 yards rushing will be a tough task for Maryville. I would never say never with Quarles but would say if it did happen it would be the result of one or two long runs, possibly the result of something "new". Although some disagree I continue to think Maryville is indeed somewhat of an underdog, and this game reminds me of many of the Championship games we have had to prepare for where we are overmatched in more than one area. Some want to point to rankings, national and statewide which mean nothing. And the 49 previous games that we have won have NOTHING to do with the game this Friday.

If the game is close at the end and comes down to coaching I like our chances, and that is NOT trash talking or an indictment of any type on the Gov's fine staff. It is simply giving credit to a coach who is in his ninth year as head coach and has yet to see his 10th loss. Apologies for my bias here but I have complete faith in our coaches and I am sure the WB faithful do also and they should. A couple of things I have said many times over the years. No Maryville team has ever been unbeatable, and the streak will end sometime. Maryville has been in this situation many times before. But each challenge is different and we know we face as stiff of one as we have faced this friday.

Its a great situation for both teams. Playoff implications are not a factor and it gives both teams big game atmosphere experience in week 5 and will serve both well on down the road. And as the Alcoa Maryville game did on August 31 it will serve to remind us, and the entire state how blessed Blount County is in terms of high school football. Its going to be fun. And finally it has me at least thinking of a long time dream of mine. And that is being in Murfreesboro to watch not one, or two, but THREE State Championship games with Blount County representation.