MARYVILLE @ CENTRAL

cobrajet

Defense bent but didn't break. Todd Hollingsworth is a beast in the middle. When a big play needs to be made in steps Chris Jordan. That young man is amazing.

A kid who played well for Maryville tonight was Tim Rodrigues. He ran very hard tonight. He can be a huge help in the running game. Without his effort tonight Maryville may not win. Thomas Shuler looked good on his long run. A good running game can take the pressure offof the passing game.

I sure hope Brent Burnett is alright. Maryville needs him to stay healthy.

Jamie Wilson is a stud running back.

Central played hard tonight. They just made too many mistakes.

Fountain Of Wisdom

Last years team was very good. I think the 2005 team was even better. The 2005 and 2002 teams were the best Quarles has had. This is how good the 2002 team was. The starting quarterback gets a season ending injury. In the preseason with everyone healthy Maryville kills everyone in scrimmages that they play. During that season Maryville's starting middle linebacker,Defensive end,Def Tackle,Corner and safety get hurt but play through the pain. They also missed several games. On offense Maryville's starting quarterback get hurt and is out for the season. The 2 starting guards miss half the season and played hurt in the championship game. All those injuries would kil most teams season. It was just a bump in the road for Maryville as they went 15-0.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing about Maryville: They find a way to win, which is what makes them (and GQ) so good. Could they get beat this year? Sure. The team (IMO) is not as good as past teams, but with GQ at the helm, they will find ways to win, even when you don't think they will (or should).

It's going to be an interesting road to the 'Boro!

Reb9 and to all Reb fans.Congratulations on another W you guys have an amazing streak going.Hope you keep it up the rest of the way.We played hard and competed wish the outcome had been different,but Congrats again its always fun playing you all.Central Bobcat

It is always fun to play Central and once again, both teams played their hearts out. Thanks for your comments and we hope that Central has a great finnish in regular season. Who knows, we just might see each other in the play offs.

We had a great time last night and even bought a Central T Shirt for my wife. She is a Rebel right now but when our son graduates, I think she will become a Bobcat again.

Rebel9

Ill answer that question for you pudding. I have been to many Maryville games 1998 and the only ones i do not go to are the wekks that two other big teams are playing. I can tell you that last year no team in the state would have beaten Maryville, hands down. Im sure many disagree with me but I can tell you they had it at every position and executed like a finely tuned machine. This years team is a different story... While still a great football team, many of the 5a and DII teams i believe would be able to beat Maryville. Maryville still might win against these teams but they are not as good as they have been the past two years. Last year was the best Maryville team I have ever seen. I guess we will find out in the coming weeks if any 4a teams can knock them off.

After getting to see Maryville play against Central last night on TV, I have some thoughts........First.......Maryville plays with alot of intensity......they play hard with alot of heart, and they have a great coaching staff. These are the positive things I saw. Now, to the areas of concern.......Maryville is very small. Their athletes need to hit the weights BIG time if they are going to 5A in '09. They have a few athletes that appear to be able to play at a Lambuth/Cumberland University type program. They did have one player....I forget his name, but he is a linebacker that was a hoss. With the exception of maybe him, I did not see DI players on the field like 5A programs and DII programs I have watched this year. If Maryville is heading to 5A, they need a commitment from the booster club/county for a serious weight room. If not, Maryville may not be heard from for a while when they make the jump. To compete in 5A, you need a continuous feed of athletes, which I think Maryville will have trouble with in the jump. Maryville needs to get their Gold Balls now, because it may be a while for more. Maryville guys, I know your hatred is immense for me from past threads, but if you do not see this, you have your head in the sand. From my conclusion of watching them play last nite....(.I saw their team last year and the year before that in the state, and they were a better team than what I see in this years team)....you guys are going to have to step it up in 09, or you are going to have to play for the county championship at best. Region 2-5A will be a great fit. The difference that I see in coming from 4 to 5 A is again, the continuous feed of athletes. Teams like Smyrna and Riverdale.....etc reload with a few DI athletes most every year. As far as Central, it appreared they wanted to lay down after the middle of the second quarter. I did not see them as competition for Maryville. I believe Maryville has a "Maryville Mystique" in that they have beaten the snot out of all the east TN teams for years they have played, they own a 2 touchdown lead (advantage) because of intimidation factor even before the game starts.

Again, Maryville has great tradition, coaching, heart, pride, community, tradition. There is no questioning this to be a fact. The problem arises in the amount of athletes continually coming to the school who has the ability to take the program to another level, which is DI-5A.....No cut on the program, just fact....

Oh yeah, from what I saw last nite.....Maryville can be beaten this year.

Also, thanks to the TV crew on using the word, which I am sure they got from reading coacht, ....cupcake......

After getting to see Maryville play against Central last night on TV, I have some thoughts........First.......Maryville plays with alot of intensity......they play hard with alot of heart, and they have a great coaching staff.

Oh yeah, from what I saw last nite.....Maryville can be beaten this year.

I agree! i was watching the game at the YMCA last night in Hendersonville. The Maryville team was not what I have seen produced in the past.

However, Good luck to the rebs the rest of the way on the chase of their next Gold Ball!

Thanks Brandon for your continued ignorance and jealously. Did anyone tell you we don't care what you think???

Yes, it true Maryville never has the athletes to compete. We been too slow, small and inadequate these past ten years. Check the record Sport.

1997 to 2007 (midway) 9.5 seasons, 141-11 overall, two different head coaches. Yea, Maryville won't be good enough for the big boy's.

Thanks Bobcat, classy post. Central is better than their record and I am sure a run in the play-off is on the horizon for the catz again this year. If central had not made so many mistakes the game would have been another one real close.

Brandon im tired of reading what you have to say about Maryville. I am not from Maryville nor do I cheer for them but I watch them play because I love watching good football. And like FB emeritus said nobody cares what you have to say anymore stay on the BA thread.

Rebelron, agree to disagree pal. Now I know you know your Maryville football like nobody else on this earth, however, I believe if you lined last year's Maryville's team up against any other they would prevail. That being said, the 2002 was great! They were so much fun to watch and what amazes me is how good a team they beat in the state championship that year. That hillsboro team was incredible. I will give the you this rebelron... the two best teams Maryville has BEATEN at state were definitely the 2002 Hillsboro team and the 2005 Melrose. That 2005 Melrose team had the fastest defense I have ever seen in high school football. However, it ended up working against them due to Quarles' trickeration from one side of the field to the other. Quarles would roll Hunt one way, then throw to Douglas on the other side. Or throw to shiver then back across the field to Tallent....Genius!

I see this Maryville team ending up like the 2003 Maryville team. I do hope I'm wrong because I would like to see this streak go for while. Maryville represents Tennessee with absolute class and hard work. They play high school football like it should be played. They do not worry about making outsiders happy and going to play nationally ranked schools. They play their region and county foes and that is how it should be. High school football is great fun whether its two county teams or two teams ranked in the top ten. It makes no difference to me. I love high school football and a team should not change its schedule to play better teams just because they are successful.

Great game friday night. I have a lot of respect for those two teams and they play so hard. Good luck to the rebs and cats the rest of the way out. Those two teams could very well meet again.

I agree! i was watching the game at the YMCA last night in Hendersonville. The Maryville team was not what I have seen produced in the past.

However, Good luck to the rebs the rest of the way on the chase of their next Gold Ball!

I am glad to hear your agreeance...it is much easier to be quiet and not say a word....takes some heart (and a little guts) to say your thoughts......Remember the thing that I said regarding having one's head in the sand????? FBEmetitus and Fountain of Youth need a BIG sand bucket. 5A evidently awaits, and I hope you guys remember my words. As with middle TN high school 5A programs, you will need to turn it up to do what you have done. Playing in 5A will take much more to win......if you think Melrose and Hillsboro are dream teams regarding speed and defense.....and the best you have ever seen that Maryville has beaten at state, get your state championship love in now......if Maryville doesn't adapt regarding weights, size, talent pool, etc. 5A is going to be a local thing 8 out of 10 years. To get out of the East, you will have to go through Middle TN.......Smyrna and Riverdale, Ravenwood (on given years....they will be back) to name a few, IF you get past D-B, Oak Ridge and Ooltewah to name some others to get to the state. I hate to be the bearer of this news, but the caliber of athletes you play against is going to really step up. You make fun of what I say, but you will see this when you guys get to 5A. There is a continual flow of DI caliber athletes to pull from in 5A major programs because of population base. Laugh all you want at me now. I will laugh at you when you see I am right in a few years. You have no clue as to what you are talking about. I am accustomed to watching 5A schools about 4-5 times a year. I only go to the bigger 5A games. The caliber of athlete is different as to what I saw on TV last nite regarding Maryville vs. Knoxville Central. Again....Maryville plays sound, disciplined, well coached football and they play with alot of heart. No one here says different.

Forgive them Father......they know not what they do (say).....

I am not a Central fan or Maryville fan but I watched the game and recorded and watched it again and what I saw was this.

1. GQ did a great job coaching his kids as usual.

2. Maryville is not as big as past teams but played hard and never let down.

3. Central has a really good defensive line and a big linebacker #34 that seem to shut Douglas down and managed to put just enough pressure on Burnette to keep him off balance, Centrals secondary is kind of small but they are quick and Centrals defense as a whole stayed on the field to long.

4. Centrals offense lacked the needed punch to compete or outscore a team like Maryville. McMillan is a soso qb and still Maryville could not account for him, J. Wilson lacks heart and lays down to much, Styles would be a great receiver but Central failed or can't seem to get him the ball, offense as a whole did poorly.

5. Central commits to many turnovers and gives the ball up to much, I hear they had several turnovers at Whites Creek and again Friday night against Maryville, to many mental mistakes.

6. Maryville will win the region again and go to playoffs but I do feel they are beatable.

7. Central will make the playoffs but will lose in the first or second round.

Not a maryville fan but i think it is funny that a brentwood academy fan is putting down maryville. Brentwood academy is the most renegade program ever in tennessee. They cheated and got caught. Brentwood academy doesn't just recruit the middle tennessee area they get recruits nationwide. Chris jordan is from the atlanta area.Brentwood academy has got kids from far away as texas. Brentwood academy has been in trouble for recruiting violations for years. Even the supereme court has got involved but somehow someway brentwood still gets away with it.

I have talked to some former coaches from middle tennessee. They quit because they got tired of having a stud football players on their youth team being taken away by brentwood academy. I find it amusing that some of those football players get in at a school that costs $15000 to get in to.I bet the band geeks parents have to pay the full tuition but football players get in free. Brentwood academy is the reason for the public/private split. Most privates have it rough because they did everything right and by the book. They suffer because of what Brentwood academy did over the years.Schools like father ryan and webb do things the right way but suffer because of brentwood academy.If i was a brentwood academy fan i sure as heck wouldn't be ripping other teams. I would keep my mouth shut.