Maryville vs Maplewood

jrlcm

Maplewood has an outstanding team. Maryville was expecting a tough game and got one. As far as the trick play goes that just part of our arsenal. Any team who runs the risk of over pursuing is going to have that one thrown at them sooner or later. It covered 30 yards and minus that play Maryville still has well over 350 yards so I thought we played "straight up" pretty well. Also the rushing yards were about even although Shuler of Maryville outrushed #2 of Maplewood 116 yards to 89 yards on two fewer carries. Whoever it was who earlier stated Maryville's run game is "weak" might want to rethink that one. I think our offensive line was fairly physical in their own right. In any event both teams played hard and left it all out on the field.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maplewood represented Middle Tennessee football very well tonight. I counted the players on the field.

Maplewood had like 33 dressed out and Maryville had like 90. Maryville had 8 QB's warming up before the game.

Based upon the difference in numbers, which obviously affects practices etc., Maplewood should be extemely proud.

Also Maplewood, if you've visited the schools, and I've been to both; doesn't have the facilities etc, that Maryville does.

Congrats to Maryville.

Congrats to Maryville and Maplewood. There is really nothing more you can say at this point about Maryville....... 60-0 over the last 4 years says it all. Maplewood definitely proved they belonged in the championship game and should feel very proud of themselves, even though I know are disappointed because they wanted the championship.

I know it is a team game but I wanted to give a shout out to # 17, Caleb Clement for Maryville. Two plays he made I will always remember. First, he was literally on an island by himself against the Maplewood receiver on the long bomb and he absolutely laid out just enough to cause the Maplewood receiver to miss the catch on a PERFECTLY thrown ball. That was tremendous coverage and a super effort. Secondly, was his bone jarring hit on the receiver in the flat that caused the incompletion. What I liked most was how Clement helped the guy up that he just waylaid.... great sportsmanship in an era when guys usually celebrate such a hit with a self promoting dance and the "incomplete pass" gesture. Great stuff, imo.

Maplewood impressed me. I guessed that Maryville would win by 28 or more. Maplewood was more athletic in my opinion, but Maryville had more depth and better execution; plus Maryville has been there done that and had no jitters. Great game. Both teams have some real college talent. I missed bits and pieces, but from what I saw both teams displayed respect and class. Congrats to both sides, teams, players, coaches, parents. and fans.

Going to the state Championship is a usual thing for Maryville, they won because they were very confident - not over confident. They executed well. Now that football season is over, I'm looking forward to Basketball, hopefully, we can bring another championship back in that sport as well. LOL at that guy that said this game isnt gonna be like the SC game from the past two years.

Maplewood had a great offensive line. #2 was a very good running back. He is only a sophomore. Everybody is probably dreading seeing him for 2 more season. #42 was a great defensive player. The quarterback was a good passer. Maplewood played very hard. Band was good also.

Brent Burnett was awesome. Chris Jordan is an awesome receiver. I am glad he is back next year. Running backs ran very hard today. Offensive line blocked well. It is amazing how the offensive line and running backs improved so much. They don't look like the same team that played the 1st few games.

Defense came up huge tonight. They went up against a bunch of big ole boys and held their own.

Congratulations to Maryville on another state title.

Congrats to Maryville on their 4th in a row undefeated 4A state championship! (First in TSSAA history!!) What a run! Tells you something when their opponents are commended over and over ,not for beating them, but for playing them tough like maplewood did. Every game takes on a different personality which requires you to find a way to do what ever it takes to "WIN" and thats exactly what maryvilles players do! AN undefeated SENIOR class is evidence of what you get when you mix talent with good coaching-UNBELEIVABLE!

That is really not a significant point, it doesnt matter if it was a trick play or not and saying it is, is not taking a shot at Maryville. Finally, a lateral pass to a WR to the outside w/ a pass back across the field to a RB IS a trick play regardless how many times you run it or if you do consider it part of a package. Anytime you run that play your intention is to catch a team off guard and hope for an easy score, which, anybody correct me if I am wrong, constitutes a trick play.....

not to belabor a point, but is it not the intent of a coach/team to catch the opposing team off guard with basic play calling? Heck if offenses did what the D expected, there would be lots of boring games IMHO....I used to hope for a score or at least a nice gain on every play..

not to belabor a point, but is it not the intent of a coach/team to catch the opposing team off guard with basic play calling? Heck if offenses did what the D expected, there would be lots of boring games IMHO....I used to hope for a score or at least a nice gain on every play..

What??????

A double pass is an extra attempt to catch a team off guard or to capitilize off of their over-pursuit if that makes you feel better..... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />