Gold Ball Predictions

Unionvegas

Class A - Gold: Jackson Co.

Silver: C-Range or a team from region 6 [C-Wood, Wayne Co., Perry Co., Richland]

Class AA - Gold: Obion Co.

Silver: Marshall Co., Obion Co., or Livingston Aca.

Class AAA - Gold: Oak Ridge

Silver: A team from district 9 [Wilson Cen., Mt. Juliet, Smyrna]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NS is over-rated. Take a look at their schedule and tell me if you see an impressive team on their schedule. I did all of their opponents win/loss record combined on another thread and it was unbelievable. I think only 2 teams they had played had winning records. I think from out West it'll be Gibson Co./Obion Co. but I'm not sure how the East teams are this year.

You are right northsides schedule aint great. I just remember last year when our girls lost there last year. That Delk girl was crazy. Now they just have Ross

Good post WestTN, I've said that before. It's great to have some very talented players but it still takes a team approach and mind set, and you don't have to look around too far to see teams with one or two outstanding players that aren't racking up wins on a regular basis.IMO good teams can get the ball to their good players, great teams play unselfishly. WC can do that and I think they played that way against Mount Juliet. To me, that is the key to going after another Gold ball for WC.

I have to admit I don't know much about Millington. What kind of competition do they face in their area?

Coach Gatlin has tried to get them the best schedule possible in the Memphis area, but it would have helped them to play a tournament in Middle or East TN during one of the holidays. Outside Bartlett and Memphis Central very few teams play the same style of ball in Memphis that the rest of the state plays. Bartlett has a GREAT player in Jasmine James, but they have a major drop off in talent. They have a decent post, but when you have one threat you are very easy to stop. Depth might really hurt Millington come the postseason. Their competition in their district really drops off after Bartlett, Cordova is average, Bolton - decent, Arlington just getting their program started, Craigmont and Raliegh Eqypt very weak. Their region is not much stronger. Now getting out of substate, you have Memphis East, Northside and Central in 16AAA, and then White Station with a surging Collierville, Germantown, and Houston has looked good at times with a standout in Sarah Watkins who scored 43 Friday night and beat Germantown.

Coach Gatlin has tried to get them the best schedule possible in the Memphis area, but it would have helped them to play a tournament in Middle or East TN during one of the holidays. Outside Bartlett and Memphis Central very few teams play the same style of ball in Memphis that the rest of the state plays. Bartlett has a GREAT player in Jasmine James, but they have a major drop off in talent. They have a decent post, but when you have one threat you are very easy to stop. Depth might really hurt Millington come the postseason. Their competition in their district really drops off after Bartlett, Cordova is average, Bolton - decent, Arlington just getting their program started, Craigmont and Raliegh Eqypt very weak. Their region is not much stronger. Now getting out of substate, you have Memphis East, Northside and Central in 16AAA, and then White Station with a surging Collierville, Germantown, and Houston has looked good at times with a standout in Sarah Watkins who scored 43 Friday night and beat Germantown.

Thanks for the compliment and indeed I tried to get the best out of Memphis with the MLK and Collierville tourney. We've beaten Mitchell, Memphis East, Germantown, Houston twice, Bartlett, Manassas Twice, Memphis Northside, and Collierville. I think that is some pretty good competition right there. All of those teams can go anywhere in the state and be competitive. Each game is a learning experience. Hopefully, we are gaining knowledge that we can glean from during the post season. Many blessings to all the districts as it heats up and no injuries.

class A Jackson County Gold, Foresst Silver.

clas AA Marshal County Gold, Upperman Silver.

class AAA Wilson Central Gold, Have no idea probably from west Tennessee for Silver.

Why is there no mention of McMinn Central? At the present they are the AP #1 team, I know this means nothing, but it says something. They have been consistantly great the past thirteen years. The unfortunate thing is that they have to play the Upperman, Livingston region every year which eliminates one of you states better teams before getting to the Buro'. If they hit a streak during this time watch out, and they usually play their best ball at tournament time. The interesting thing is that they do not have any seniors, which means a lot during the tournaments. I just wanted to put their name out there.

Marshall Co. has struggled lately. They don't shoot that well. But the defense can be extremely good. If they start to shoot the ball better, then they will challenge for state. About the Obion loss, Obion pulled away late after Lauren March took a cheap shot putting her out of the game.

Bartlett has a GREAT player in Jasmine James, but they have a major drop off in talent.

I am continually amazed at the lack of respect for the supporting cast of players of Bartlett. Croom is a 6??™1??? two year starter, Walker is a three year starter at the post and extremely seasoned, Jefferson is the most athletic freshman in the Shelby Metro and Stone is stroking the three. Yes: I agree you don??™t have the multiple big names like last year with James / Herring / Thompson ??“ The former BIG THREE / triple threat. However, new stars are evolving along side of JJ and this team (which has NO seniors) is ramping up to make a strong push come post season. Fact is: JJ requires so much attention that the supporting cast is more than capable of making an opposing team pay.

A good reference point is the Millington game (which is the only loss since the return of JJ): Bartlett was leading the Millington game through the start of the 4th quarter. The difference in the game was a 35 second timeframe in which Bartlett turned the ball over for 3 quick Millington baskets to give the Lady Trojans a 6 point lead with about 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter. Without a shot clock that meant Bartlett had to gamble on defense and foul to force free throws. My point is this: At the date of that game - Bartlett had only played 3 previous games with JJ in the line up. No disrespect to Millington but the Lady Panthers wholeheartedly feel as though they let a very winnable game slip away. Bartlett is not playing any team for moral victories and they want be searching for a moral victory in round 2.

Round #2 (Bartlett ??“ Millington) is Friday, Feb 8th at the Panther Dome. (It??™s actually kind of cool being the underdog for a change by onlookers but I can assure you that the lady panthers consider themselves as the BIG DOGS!)

Get ya popcorn ready! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Millington has beaten the best in the west. They can play different games depending on what they feel they can attack. The two big problems for them are depth and lack of a dominate post player. The ladies they have do a great job, but I am not sure if foul trouble or a 6'2 athletic post player with perimeter plays that can shoot and get her the ball would hurt them as it would most people.

Outside Bartlett and Memphis Central very few teams play the same style of ball in Memphis that the rest of the state plays.

I agree that Bartlett and Memphis Central are two of the very few teams in the Shelby Metro area that play the same style as the rest of the state (Controlled running and good half court execution). I would also throw Millington and Memphis Northside in that mix. However, I do think Memphis Central is often too rigid in their half court sets and at times border line mechanical and they score VERY few points in transition; but they are extremely talented and capable of making a run.

REAL Contenders to make it to the Boro:

Millington, Bartlett (out of Region 7) Memphis Northside, Whitestation, Memphis East and Memphis Central (out of Region 8) all pose a real threat to make a push for the Boro.

REAL Pretenders to make it to the Boro:

Collierville ??“ the clock has struck midnight and their early season success looks to be coming to an end. Lost 5 of their last 8. Good at several things but not great at any.

Houston ??“ they are to up and down and on any given night you will see lack luster play. Plain and simple: You have to hate losing to be a winner??????

Germantown ??“ relies heavily on defensive turnovers to win. Turnovers will be minimized by tournament time which will make G??™town have to execute in half court ??“ which is NOT their strength due to limited inside play.