Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

Another team for consideration although the school no longer exists as a high school is Murfreesboro Central's team from 1970. Undefeated state champs that year, averaged 48 points a game while allowing an average of only 6 points a game. 26 players on this team were college signees. This was the last year that Central existed as a high school before splitting Murfreesboro into Oakland and Riverdale.

I will give you a Top 10:

1. Brentwood Academy: They have 10 state championships and they have never backed away from playing the best teams in the Southeast.

2. Montgomery Bell Academy: With 9 state championships they have taken their program to another level the past 15 years. This is another school that will lace them up with any team is the USA.

3. Oak Ridge: With a national championship and back to back state title this is a good program. IMO, they could be on the level of MBA & BA if they made a few changes to their program.

4. Maryville: A very strong Tennessee high school program but they don't play any out of state powers or even the best teams in their home sate.

5. Tennessee High: National Champions and 2X Tennessee State Champions. They have done very little recently and I don't see that changing in the near future.

6. Baylor: National Champions and 1X State Champions. This program has the money and facilities to be a top 10 national program but for some reason the school and the adminstration are not willing to do what is necessary to have a great program.

7. Memphis University School: 3X Tennessee State Champions and they compete well every season.

8. Riverdale: 4X State Champions but due to competition in their own backyard they will not be as strong and they once were.

9. Alcoa: 9X Tennessee State Champions and they don't run from the big boys like some schools.

10. Cleveland: 3X State Champions and defeated one of the best Brentwood Academy teams ever in the state title game.

I will give you a Top 10:

1. Brentwood Academy: They have 10 state championships and they have never backed away from playing the best teams in the Southeast.

2. Montgomery Bell Academy: With 9 state championships they have taken their program to another level the past 15 years. This is another school that will lace them up with any team is the USA.

3. Oak Ridge: With a national championship and back to back state title this is a good program. IMO, they could be on the level of MBA & BA if they made a few changes to their program.

4. Maryville: A very strong Tennessee high school program but they don't play any out of state powers or even the best teams in their home sate.

5. Tennessee High: National Champions and 2X Tennessee State Champions. They have done very little recently and I don't see that changing in the near future.

6. Baylor: National Champions and 1X State Champions. This program has the money and facilities to be a top 10 national program but for some reason the school and the adminstration are not willing to do what is necessary to have a great program.

7. Memphis University School: 3X Tennessee State Champions and they compete well every season.

8. Riverdale: 4X State Champions but due to competition in their own backyard they will not be as strong and they once were.

9. Alcoa: 9X Tennessee State Champions and they don't run from the big boys like some schools.

10. Cleveland: 3X State Champions and defeated one of the best Brentwood Academy teams ever in the state title game.

would you be a d2 fan?

Before consolidation forced its closure, Isaac Litton HS in Nashville was a national power. How many of you even remember the school? It was on Gallatin Road in Madison.

My Father-in Law played at Litton back in the early 60s. I have heard all kinds of stories about them through him and some of his buddies that also played there. According to him it was a big power in Nashville and, presumably, the state. I think they called it the big three, but there was a group of schools in Nashville that always contended for a state title and brought out huge crowds on Friday nights.

You should also consider Jackson High/ JCM for your list.

SHHH! ...WE CANT / SHOULDNT MENTION A WEST TN TEAM OUTSIDE OF MEMPHIS...ITS NOT LOGICAL NOR REASONABLE AS I WAS TOLD.

I AGRRE WITH YOU THO..JCM H./ JCM,HUMBOLDT,MILAN, DYERSBURG SHOULD BE ON ANY TENNESSEE H.S. HISTORCIAL TEAMS LIST

It amazes me how GC always gets pulled into these threads. Yes GC beat THS in the scrimmage. NO DB has NOT offered a game against GC. It's a no win situation for DB. That came straight from a DB coach several years ago. As for the DB-GC scrimmage, GC fans have always showed up strong for scrimmages. We love our football. There's no shame in that. As for the "DB domination" in that scrimmage, GC went on to win the state championship. How many championships have DB won ON the field?

As for the comment about GC needing to play "bigger schools" because of their size...here's a breakdown of our district.......enrollment in parenthesis...

Gate City (666)

John Battle (641)

Lebanon (570)

Lee High (797)

Virginia High (700)

Seems pretty comparable to me.

Also bud...Virginia has TWO divisions in each classification...not four as you stated.

Again I'm sure I'll get battered for this, but felt the truth needed to be out there. When GC's got an open date, I always go to a DB game. I have many friends over that way, but honestly to read this board it makes a man wonder.

My Father-in Law played at Litton back in the early 60s. I have heard all kinds of stories about them through him and some of his buddies that also played there. According to him it was a big power in Nashville and, presumably, the state. I think they called it the big three, but there was a group of schools in Nashville that always contended for a state title and brought out huge crowds on Friday nights.

During the 40's, 50's and 60's the Nashville area had four teams that were strong most every year. Those teams were Springfield, Litton, MBA and Father Ryan. Cohn and a few other schools would have a good team that could compete at times but not on a regular basis.

During the 40's, 50's and 60's the Nashville area had four teams that were strong most every year. Those teams were Springfield, Litton, MBA and Father Ryan. Cohn and a few other schools would have a good team that could compete at times but not on a regular basis.

An MBA-Litton game in the mid to late '50's was one of the biggest games in the city. I don't recall Litton being especially powerful after the mid '60's, but by that time, Maplewood had opened, and took some talent that otherwise would have been at Litton.

Springfield and MBA was a big game in large part due to the stature of the coaches, Boyce Smith and Tommy Owen.

Through the '50's, East was also a top power.

It amazes me how GC always gets pulled into these threads. Yes GC beat THS in the scrimmage. NO DB has NOT offered a game against GC. It's a no win situation for DB. That came straight from a DB coach several years ago. As for the DB-GC scrimmage, GC fans have always showed up strong for scrimmages. We love our football. There's no shame in that. As for the "DB domination" in that scrimmage, GC went on to win the state championship. How many championships have DB won ON the field?

As for the comment about GC needing to play "bigger schools" because of their size...here's a breakdown of our district.......enrollment in parenthesis...

Gate City (666)

John Battle (641)

Lebanon (570)

Lee High (797)

Virginia High (700)

Seems pretty comparable to me.

Also bud...Virginia has TWO divisions in each classification...not four as you stated.

Again I'm sure I'll get battered for this, but felt the truth needed to be out there. When GC's got an open date, I always go to a DB game. I have many friends over that way, but honestly to read this board it makes a man wonder.

You must be outta' the loop GC, your wrong about just about everything. I don't know about the scrimmage against Tennessee High as that was way back in the day when gas was selling for 29 cents a gal. YES DB did offer GC a game the next year after the scrimmage. You probably don't know about that unless you were in the room when the call was made. I know that one didn't get out to the GC crowd. Would be to embarressing and would throw water on that still hyped game from the 70's. I don't know how you compair the scrimmage to your state championship other than it shows how weak the compatition is in South West Va. And you still got "steemrolled". Nothing changes that.