Tennessee High @ Dobyns-Bennett

The original prediction was 13-8 Vikings. There will be turnovers. D will tell the tale. And since we did not have the presence of mind to adjust way back then going under center can only be a guess. However, Watson knows Stubbs will not run the Spread. And he thinks he will not throw the ball.Your trump card will be what you will more than likely do and that is to roll out and throw a sideline route. Rolling out and throwing to the backside will devestate them. But you got to look at who was coming...Throp, Papas etc. It's a coaches game. But then against DB it always is. One more thing, I don't think playing on turf will bode well for the Vikings.

It sounds like you know Stubbs also, but I have to say that I truly believe that Coach Stubbs and The Crew are more likely to go against the grain now than they were two years ago. One thing I know is that he recognizes who he is matching up against (coach wise) and tools his game plan accordingly. You are right this is going to be a coach’s game because I don’t see either team holding much of an advantage anywhere on the field. I have to say though that this blitz thing concerns me in that our O line traditionally take a little longer to get up to speed with the rest of the offense. Etfan mentioned that others have neutralized the DB blitz with a straight on power game. What do you think?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you know Stubbs also, but I have to say that I truly believe that Coach Stubbs and The Crew are more likely to go against the grain now than they were two years ago. One thing I know is that he recognizes who he is matching up against (coach wise) and tools his game plan accordingly. You are right this is going to be a coach’s game because I don’t see either team holding much of an advantage anywhere on the field. I have to say though that this blitz thing concerns me in that our O line traditionally take a little longer to get up to speed with the rest of the offense. Etfan mentioned that others have neutralized the DB blitz with a straight on power game. What do you think?

If the way to neutralize the blitz is with a straight on power game than as a TN High fan Cap I would be excited. I think you all have 3 all conference linemen returning right? Tabor hit harder than any player I have ever gone against. And Shephard has put on weight too. The line will be fine, Tn High just has to have good plays on first down, they may get into some trouble if they start facing 2nd and 12 or 2nd and 9 everytime.

I think in this game, if TN High gets ahead early, they win. That South game stings and everytime they have a lead now they will play with just as much urgency as before, however, I think if at halftime the score is tied, DB will wear on them. Either way, its gonna be a slugfest, and there are gonna be potential college football players all over the field.

If the way to neutralize the blitz is with a straight on power game than as a TN High fan Cap I would be excited. I think you all have 3 all conference linemen returning right? Tabor hit harder than any player I have ever gone against. And Shephard has put on weight too. The line will be fine, Tn High just has to have good plays on first down, they may get into some trouble if they start facing 2nd and 12 or 2nd and 9 everytime.

I think in this game, if TN High gets ahead early, they win. That South game stings and everytime they have a lead now they will play with just as much urgency as before, however, I think if at halftime the score is tied, DB will wear on them. Either way, its gonna be a slugfest, and there are gonna be potential college football players all over the field.

You guys got it all wrong. Its simple, on offense just snap the ball and tell the lineman not to block anyone...then after the 3rd quarter D-B's defense will be so tired they wont have enough energy to play anymore ...Catfish will have to go to the reserves, then attack with everything you can throw at them. Try it ...trust me. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

It sounds like you know Stubbs also, but I have to say that I truly believe that Coach Stubbs and The Crew are more likely to go against the grain now than they were two years ago. One thing I know is that he recognizes who he is matching up against (coach wise) and tools his game plan accordingly. You are right this is going to be a coach's game because I don't see either team holding much of an advantage anywhere on the field. I have to say though that this blitz thing concerns me in that our O line traditionally take a little longer to get up to speed with the rest of the offense. Etfan mentioned that others have neutralized the DB blitz with a straight on power game. What do you think?

I am a fan of the power I with an occasional slot back to have lead blocking up the gut and the ability to dump a curl route. Watson will be ready for this. What he won't be ready for is traps and sucker plays. Tackle traps will break Keenan free regularly. This ain't going to be a high scoring affair so all you need is one good break. Traps need finesse and an inexperienced DL. The trouble with a trap is the beauty of a trap and that is Keenan follows the block. He doesn't necessarily run for daylight. I am of the mind that against a DC like Watson requires a RB who does not follow the rules. I am also of the mind that Stubbs does not allow a RB that kind of freedom. Straight on power...?makes for an interesting matchup. KS and CS. I will be there!

Watson not ready? Please! He is always ready. Of course the offense has to do their part (DB only completed 1 pass last year) and sometimes Watson does not have the talent to stack up against the other team. But he has to be one of the best in TN. Last year there was not the usual talent to work with, 2008 is better. I think the D will be fine. The question is; will yours be ready?

Watson not ready? Please! He is always ready. Of course the offense has to do their part (DB only completed 1 pass last year) and sometimes Watson does not have the talent to stack up against the other team. But he has to be one of the best in TN. Last year there was not the usual talent to work with, 2008 is better. I think the D will be fine. The question is; will yours be ready?

This is nothing new for the Viking coaching Crew…they have had to prepare for excellent running games in the past and have faired well. Solomon a very elusive and explosive back is one that comes to mind, and you can’t leave out the man himself Curt Phillips. I just hope that so much attention is given to Chris that we forget about Crawford. From what I observed in the Halls scrimmage he seems to be a run first pass second QB…and rightfully so. I think GC is trying to sneak him in under the radar. The only pass that I felt that he looks to pass first is the long ball. His short to midrange passing game seems to be his weakness.

Remember last year DB was missin Sylvester. He was starting rb and was a db. I remember Hogg did well in his place. Hogg left the game early because of exhaustion

Hogg was in the game until about the 3 minute mark of the 4th quarter. The Vikings scored their second touchdown one or two plays after Hogg left. Hogg is now at Tusculum correct?

This is nothing new for the Viking coaching Crew…they have had to prepare for excellent running games in the past and have faired well. Solomon a very elusive and explosive back is one that comes to mind, and you can't leave out the man himself Curt Phillips. I just hope that so much attention is given to Chris that we forget about Crawford. From what I observed in the Halls scrimmage he seems to be a run first pass second QB…and rightfully so. I think GC is trying to sneak him in under the radar. The only pass that I felt that he looks to pass first is the long ball. His short to midrange passing game seems to be his weakness.

Crawford and Sylvester on a deep route will sound a death knell. Remember '06. Bo to Coty. That broke the Vikings will. Big difference between Jr. and Sr. year for someone like Crawford. By game 3 he will be a playmaker.

Less we forget that Watson did well preparing for illustrious offenses last year with, what I've observed from other comments, less talent. Not mentioning the Tennessee High game from last year, William Blount had Garner, Bearden had Works, Oak Ridge had Stephens (twice), Science Hill had Duanah, and Farragut had there hoss. My point is, each of these running backs had to play, save Sterling from Farragut, all 48 minutes, and all of these running backs had size over Shepherd. I am unsure if Shepherd can take the 48 minute bombardment. Also, in each of the aforementioned games, save the Farragut game yet again, I believe Watson did a very good job of managing the game on defense. His job is never to win the game, but keep his team in it, something he did very well last year. I would not expect the power game to beat the Indians almost constant stunting, unless the Vikings have a bruising fullback that opens holes left to one defender to keep Shepherd from reaching daylight. I also still think the DB coaching staff beats the Tennessee High coaching staff everytime, mainly due to creativity on offense.