The Streak will end with Alcoa

UCSportsFan

Depth was a significant issue. As impressive as Tyler Robinson was, I would hate to see his preformance if he didn't have to go both ways. It was obvious that several of Alcoa players were tired from going both ways and could not perform at their highest level late in the game. With that said, I think depth is a strength for them as a 2A team...they are loaded for their population. I think they played their hearts out and wish them the best this season. Go Rebels!!!

Ok. let me explain what i mean by that. depth was not the reason alcoa lost the game. we lost the game because of two turnovers that led directly to maryville points. we lost the game because of missed tackles and blown assignments as in the one td where GQ slid the back across the formation into the end zone. Alcoa didnt take advantage of maryville mistakes the way maryville took advantage of alcoas. i dont think that had anything to do with depth. it was more about excecution and maryville doing a great job. I dont think that depth was an issue because you saw the energy alcoa had when they drove right down the field on maryville at the end of the 3rd qtr to score the td to tie it up. I do think that both teams were spent at the end of the game because they did play so hard and you have to applaud the way that both teams got after it. I know that alcoa rotated 4 or 5 dt's, 3 or 4 de's and backs and wrs on offense. Now maybe it wasnt maryville depth but it was sufficient enough for alcoa to rested enough to finish the game, unlike years in the past. I really do believe both teams are even better than what people believed they were going to be and that both teams have great shots to represent the east. I thought for maryville that juhlin grew up a little bit tonight and matured and got better as the game went on. He, along with shular and jordan are very impressive. I thought toney and tyson showed strong running ability as did james at qb.

Good luck to both teams!!! lets bring two more back!!!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to be critical of ALCOA with this statement , it is just the way some of us see it , they are the undisputed champion of the world in 2A and no it is not their fault that all the rest pale in comparison. Who has even threatened the TORNADOS since they played MARYVILLE last year? NO ONE! this can be a weak spot for ALCOA when they play up with top tier teams. Great game ALCOA !

I am not trying to be critical of ALCOA with this statement , it is just the way some of us see it , they are the undisputed champion of the world in 2A and no it is not their fault that all the rest pale in comparison. Who has even threatened the TORNADOS since they played MARYVILLE last year? NO ONE! this can be a weak spot for ALCOA when they play up with top tier teams. Great game ALCOA !

I actually think alcoa probably looks at it the other way. I dont think they believe its a weak spot, i think they look at it as great preperation when they play other 2A teams. When you can get in a slug it out with maryville for 4 qtrs then you only get better. they know they will never see anything like that in 2A. I think playing maryville is a huge reason why alcoa has been so dominate in 2A. Nothing comes close to playing against the boys clad in all black. win or lose, when you play with maryville like they did last night and 2 years ago then those guys have nothing but confidence they can get it done in 2A

Coalman, not to take anything away from Alcoa.....they are always a top 5 school of ALL schools in TN in my book year after year. Alcoa is a phenomenal team and it is amazing where they get that kind of talent they put out.... Those 35 games, however, you have alluded to are against powerhouses outside of AA like Heritage, WB, Doyle, West, Spring Hill, Brainard......schools who are lucky to have a .500 season.....most are lucky year end and year out to win 2 games. The teams in the hunt that are impressive are Maryville, McCallie and Fulton.....maybe Whitehouse on a given year. You haven't played Fulton, Spring Hill, McCallie and Whitehouse much, but the wins are mainly against Heritage, WB, Doyle and West.....not exactly the giants of TN High School Football. I would, however, put my bet on Alcoa on any given year against ANY team in the state with the exception of Maryville. Maryville is too consistent beating Alcoa. I believe Alcoa can play with any DI or DII school in the state. With Maryville, it is kind of like Alcoa is accustomed to getting beat, and Maryville has the mental edge. Almost like Charlie Brown and Lucy......no matter how hard Charlie Brown tries to kick the ball, Lucy pulls it out from under him......you younger folks may not have a clue to what I am talking about, but the older generation does!

Brentwood Academy would needs to schedule Maryville and Alcoa every year!!!! You should have gone last night. I would have met you and you could have stayed at my parent's home. By the way, your brother in law's parents will be in town Monday and he was crushed to miss the game. You would have had a blast I'm seroius.

Brentwood Academy would needs to schedule Maryville and Alcoa every year!!!! You should have gone last night. I would have met you and you could have stayed at my parent's home. By the way, your brother in law's parents will be in town Monday and he was crushed to miss the game. You would have had a blast I'm seroius.

I would go EVERY year if BA played in a series with either Maryville or Alcoa! I would love to see either team play a series with MBA as well. The last Maryville-Alcoa game I went to was when the Bell(?) kid played that was so fast. I think that was around 89-90....somewhere in that timeframe. I have to say it was alot of fun! It is the best rivalry I know in TN. Let's plan on it next year! Just keep these Maryville guys off my back..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Coalman, not to take anything away from Alcoa.....they are always a top 5 school of ALL schools in TN in my book year after year. Alcoa is a phenomenal team and it is amazing where they get that kind of talent they put out.... Those 35 games, however, you have alluded to are against powerhouses outside of AA like Heritage, WB, Doyle, West, Spring Hill, Brainard......schools who are lucky to have a .500 season.....most are lucky year end and year out to win 2 games. The teams in the hunt that are impressive are Maryville, McCallie and Fulton.....maybe Whitehouse on a given year. You haven't played Fulton, Spring Hill, McCallie and Whitehouse much, but the wins are mainly against Heritage, WB, Doyle and West.....not exactly the giants of TN High School Football. I would, however, put my bet on Alcoa on any given year against ANY team in the state with the exception of Maryville. Maryville is too consistent beating Alcoa. I believe Alcoa can play with any DI or DII school in the state. With Maryville, it is kind of like Alcoa is accustomed to getting beat, and Maryville has the mental edge. Almost like Charlie Brown and Lucy......no matter how hard Charlie Brown tries to kick the ball, Lucy pulls it out from under him......you younger folks may not have a clue to what I am talking about, but the older generation does!

Sir, you have well explained my stand that 2A in ETN has been weak the last few years and when Alcoa get's outside of it they get beat. Now to be fair Maryville does not play up much ether but since 2000 the rebels have beat some very high ranked teams who also beat other ranked teams. Ranked as the best in the state. Spring Hill (3A) the past two years has fallen to Alcoa but they lost 9 0f 10 games last year! Not really a 3A power house. Alcoa does not play Heritage or WB anymore, but in fact beat those 2 5A programs, but they are seldom much over .500.

Look Alcoa is a great 2A team but also the only city 2A team that I know of. I think that to be a huge advantage in that the school can afford better coaches and facilities because of a big tax base. Under Rankin they have become a classily champion and could beat many teams above their class, but not as many as they might think. I agree it is not Alcoa's responsibility to throttle it back and wait for the other competitors to catch up, but other than Alcoa, 2A in E TN is not very competitive.

It was a good thing for Alcoa that Maryville did not execute as well as GQ's teams have this past Friday night or the game would have been a blow out. Maryville got Alcoa to turn the ball over but two field goals are not what GQ normally gets off the other teams turnovers. Alcoa was also lucky to recover their own fumble in the end zone for 6 points. If MHS would have scored TD's off those two turnovers and Alcoa not gotten that fumble the score could have been 28-7.

I was impressed with Alcoa's first drive, it was an outstanding series of good plays. James proved he was a leader and playmaker who could take advantage of what the defense was going to give him, with good reads. The only problem after that Alcoa got outplayed for the most part and out coached. GQ, Ellis and Gaylor did what they always do in making adjustments to the game plan. It seemed to me S. Thompson got shut down and did not catch a ball. Alcoa has other playmakers that were well defended or did not show up for their team. The other factor is depth. Despite what some say Alcoa does not have it. The studs on the team played too many downs both ways and were wore out. On the first drive Alcoa proved they could shove MHS off the ball and hurt them with their speed but after that they were too tired to play with the Rebels. After all of that the game was still in reach for Alcoa late in the game.

I was impressed with Alcoa??™s classily exit after the game. Holding their helmets up high with pride for all to see after the post game coach talk then most walking to the buses quietly with helmets on was classily and what champions do in defeat. Alcoa left it all on the field and have nothing to be ashamed of. Congratz to the players and coaching staff for the effort and without question will arrive at the Murf to win another title. I don't know about the Rebels yet but some things went well for MHS. Another issue.

I think the Cheesy helmet hurt them the most!

Sir, you have well explained my stand that 2A in ETN has been weak the last few years and when Alcoa get's outside of it they get beat. Now to be fair Maryville does not play up much ether but since 2000 the rebels have beat some very high ranked teams who also beat other ranked teams. Ranked as the best in the state. Spring Hill (3A) the past two years has fallen to Alcoa but they lost 9 0f 10 games last year! Not really a 3A power house. Alcoa does not play Heritage or WB anymore, but in fact beat those 2 5A programs, but they are seldom much over .500.

Look Alcoa is a great 2A team but also the only city 2A team that I know of. I think that to be a huge advantage in that the school can afford better coaches and facilities because of a big tax base. Under Rankin they have become a classily champion and could beat many teams above their class, but not as many as they might think. I agree it is not Alcoa's responsibility to throttle it back and wait for the other competitors to catch up, but other than Alcoa, 2A in E TN is not very competitive.

It was a good thing for Alcoa that Maryville did not execute as well as GQ's teams have this past Friday night or the game would have been a blow out. Maryville got Alcoa to turn the ball over but two field goals are not what GQ normally gets off the other teams turnovers. Alcoa was also lucky to recover their own fumble in the end zone for 6 points. If MHS would have scored TD's off those two turnovers and Alcoa not gotten that fumble the score could have been 28-7.

I was impressed with Alcoa's first drive, it was an outstanding series of good plays. James proved he was a leader and playmaker who could take advantage of what the defense was going to give him, with good reads. The only problem after that Alcoa got outplayed for the most part and out coached. GQ, Ellis and Gaylor did what they always do in making adjustments to the game plan. It seemed to me S. Thompson got shut down and did not catch a ball. Alcoa has other playmakers that were well defended or did not show up for their team. The other factor is depth. Despite what some say Alcoa does not have it. The studs on the team played too many downs both ways and were wore out. On the first drive Alcoa proved they could shove MHS off the ball and hurt them with their speed but after that they were too tired to play with the Rebels. After all of that the game was still in reach for Alcoa late in the game.

I was impressed with Alcoa??™s classily exit after the game. Holding their helmets up high with pride for all to see after the post game coach talk then most walking to the buses quietly with helmets on was classily and what champions do in defeat. Alcoa left it all on the field and have nothing to be ashamed of. Congratz to the players and coaching staff for the effort and without question will arrive at the Murf to win another title. I don't know about the Rebels yet but some things went well for MHS. Another issue.

I think the Cheesy helmet hurt them the most!

Fair enough but I still say next year will be Alcoa's best chance and if it doesn't happen then, I'm not sure it will happen again to be honest.

Alcoa played way more than 20. Depth was not this issue.

Depth was an issue. Alcoa's best player Tyler Robinson was gassed at the end of the game. On the opening drive of the game and the opening drive in the 2nd half Maryville had no answer for Robinson. But! Robinson played both sides of the ball. I would hate to see a rested Robinson because he was killing Maryville on offense and defense.

Alcoa will roll to another 2A Title and another 14-1 record. They are an outstanding team. Maryville still has a long ways to go. But! With GQ and company coaching and the heart of those kids they have a great shot of winning another championship.

More nonsensical ramblings from a man that has noyhing more to do than down Alcoa's kids....Don't you dare give them credit for stopping those short field drives, It was not Alcoa making plays, it was maryville not executing. You just keep on doing what you have to do to get your ego stroked and your kids name in the paper. (he did play a great game) see how a grown up can admit something?

You have spent ZERO time in Alcoa, know nothing about the people or the community, and even your own people (the classy Rebel faithful) can't stand you. so in the immortal words of Roger Daltry "why don't you just....ffffade awaaaaay"

Much love,

APB

It was odd to see him standing in the corner of the endzone by himself if he is who I think he is.

It was odd to see him standing in the corner of the endzone by himself if he is who I think he is.

I deleted the original post because i did not want to come across as sour grapes, BUT FBM is the most classless poster that I have seen on here. To Ron, stars, rebelsman and all the rest that I spoken to personally, Your passion is positive and your criticism is constructive. This is just not the case with this clown. We all know who he is, and what he is like. We made two big mistakes and paid the price. You dont hear me on here saying that we handed them the game. Champions make teams pay for mistakes. We went toe to toe with the best around and had two chances to tie the game. All of us enjoyed the heck out of this game for the first time in a long time and i will be ^%$$@# if this idiot is going to take that away from any of us, Maryville Fan OR Alcoa Fan.

I am done with this thread, Bring on White House.