big 9 basketball

unc1

Sullivan Central 55

Dobyns Bennett 51

Final

Cougars defeat the Indians in an upset. Details to come later, interested to see intial reactions.

The Cougars played some great basketball. Theres no doubt about it. They were leading the game for the majority of the game then went down 9pts in the 4th and came back to win it. It's up there as one of the best high school basketball games I've attended.

Adams was almost a non factor (somehow). The Cougars had an all around team effort. No real standouts.

Another statement I think I could make is that Carl Roberts is one of the premier 3pt shooters in the conference. He has really stepped up his shooting. If you leave him open from behind the 3pt line, or just let him set his feet in general he's dangerous.

Sylvester was probably the leading scorer for the Indians, he had quiet a few steals.

I'd be willing to say this will be DB's lowest scoring game of the year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plain and simple "Central was about as expected", if guards play good they play with anybody in the conference and they did tonight. They need to revise the pre-season predictions Science Hill is better at this time of the year than DB. This years DB team cannot be compared to last. Morgan only played 7 players Halvoreson and McConnell couldn't throw one in the ocean(Centrals defense had something to do with that). I wonder how AA feels to lose back to back games at the Cougar Dome. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Tennessee High 54

Daniel Boone 50

The Vikings pull one out their you know what in overtime tonight in a game that featured the most uneventful first half of basketball I've ever seen (11 to 16 Boone at half). The Vikings couldn't have thrown one into Boone Lake tonight. Tre Webb shot an air ball in front of the Blazer student section early in the game...which spontaneously broke the ol' "air ball, air ball, air ball" chant out...that in turn spurred Webb to a game high 24 point. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Poorly executed game for both teams IMO.

Sullivan Central 55

Dobyns Bennett 51

Final

Dobyns Bennett looked flat, leaderless, and cold from the field for most of the night, allowing a solid Sullivan Central club to pull the upset. Congratulations to the Cougars for making the plays that led to victory. Off the tip, it appeared Dobyns Bennett would do what many perdicted, dominate the Cougars in the post. After Edwards scored six straight points and added a free throw, Sullivan Central moved to a two three zone on defense and took away the simple entry pass into Edwards, forcing the Indian guards to make their jump shots. As for most of the night, they were unable to convert. On the back of some fine shooting and quick cuts to the basket, the Cougars pushed out to a 16-10 opening period lead. In the second, Sullivan Central pushed thier lead out to 10 points on three seperate occassions, but the Indians showed back bone through their off night, pulling to within three, but went into the locker room at halftime down 32-26, after a last second shot by the Cougars found the bottom of the net.

The Tribe battled back in the third, where they played roughly four minutes of basketball that is commendable (sadly it was the only four minutes, out of the thirty two, that was positive), mounting a comeback and pushing out to, at one time, a nine point lead, but settling for a one point lead at the end of three, 40-39. The fourth quarter was back and forth in the first few minutes, however, the game would get away from the Indians inside two minutes where the Cougars scored on back to back possessions, moving ahead by four and forcing the Indians to foul. Sullivan Central made their free throws down the stretch and sealed the victory and celebration, 55-51. Again, congratulations to Sullivan Central, you outplayed a very good team tonight. Good luck during the rest of your season.

As I stated above, Dobyns Bennett looked flat, leaderless, and was cold from the field. On offense, the Tribe looked lackluster. The Indians were a step slow and looked somewhat confused in their half court offense. Halverson played his worst game of the season, Adams missed a dunk on a fast break (which I think stayed with him the rest of the game), Sylvester missed two fast break layups, and the inside game ground to a halt when the Cougar lead stretched to more than six. The three ball was greatley missing from the Indians bag of tricks, with few attempts and no makes. Missed jump shots, being unable to finish layups, not rebounding well, and failing to convert on free throws spelled doom for Dobyns Bennett. The defense was adequate, doing a well enough job to keep the Indians within striking distance. However, the shots were not falling and the Tribe was unable to take advantage. Sylvester did step up his game, scoring fourteen of his seventeen points in the second half. Without anyone else stepping up to help him finish the comeback, victory was lost and the Cougar charge in the fourth was able to end in victory for Sullivan Central. I said it a few days ago, Sylvester had yet to have to take over a game and will his team to victory. He attempted to tonight, knocking down jump shots and driving and finishing contested lay ups down low in the second half, but all was for not. Great job by him tonight.

Sullivan Central, as someone stated in an earlier post, lives and dies by the play of their guards. Tonight, Brown and Roberts played well, especially Roberts from three. Devault did well down low, not dominate but a sufficient presence. Winchell showed alot of hustle tonight and Vannoy and Hyden, I believe it was, knocked down some key shots. Sturgill, like Devault was consistant in the post, on both ends of the floor. All around team effort. Stay focused, however, you still have Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett again their home court, and Tennessee High twice.

Tonight??™s Big 9 Conference Scoreboard:

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Sullivan Central 55, Dobyns Bennett 51

Tennessee High 54, Daniel Boone 50 - OT

Sullivan East 58 Sullivan South 44

Volunteer 54, David Crockett 52

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 10-2

Tomorrow's (12/10) Big 9 Conference Schedule

Science Hill @ Volunteer

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Science Hill over Volunteer

Tennessee High 54

Daniel Boone 50

The Vikings pull one out their you know what in overtime tonight in a game that featured the most uneventful first half of basketball I've ever seen (11 to 16 Boone at half). The Vikings couldn't have thrown one into Boone Lake tonight. Tre Webb shot an air ball in front of the Blazer student section early in the game...which spontaneously broke the ol' "air ball, air ball, air ball" chant out...that in turn spurred Webb to a game high 24 point. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Poorly executed game for both teams IMO.

Cap, your boy Webb has really turned into a player. He really impressed me against East. That bench is pretty weak for the Vikings isn't it?

Sullivan Central, as someone stated in an earlier post, lives and dies by the play of their guards. Tonight, Brown and Roberts played well, especially Roberts from three. Devault did well down low, not dominate but a sufficient presence. Winchell showed alot of hustle tonight and Harmon, I believe it was, knocked down some key shots. All around team effort. Stay focused, however, you still have Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett again their home court, and Tennessee High twice.

I think you pretty much nailed it sportsfan except it wasn't Harmon it was Vannoy. Also Hyden played a big role also hitting a couple of shots but mainly on the defensive end. Sturgill played very physical down low against Edwards too.

I won't go too much into game analysis or anything. TCSF covered it well, and I don't even know what I saw out there tonight (Central played well, DB didn't). I will say this though...DB had a major letdown. I don't know how DB fans feel after a loss like this, but their disappointment has to run higher than a normal loss. They came off of a win against a tough Greeneville team and couldn't have played any better. I graded them an A in my analysis. They deserved it. Then to come out and play this poorly, that's a shame. DB has more talent (sorry Central) but it didn't show tonight. So give the Cougars credit for pulling this one out.

Some notes on Central: This is different group than the one that took a beating from Science Hill. The defense was worlds better, and the shots fell a lot easier. I don't know what's going to happen when Albright comes back but for Central's sake, keep giving Winchell a lot of minutes. He was extremely impressive tonight. A sophomore who wasn't scared of DB's bigger posts. Winchell was the most efficient player on the court. Roberts shot lights out, he was great tonight. Brown played really well, handling the ball and knocked down a shot or two. Devault got muscled around and had his shot blocked a few times, but he still was relentless in the post. It wasn't pretty by any means, but Devault found a way to be effective. And I don't wanna dog anybody, but Vannoy is still the weak link for this team. He shot A LOT and only hit one, I believe. He made a couple lay-ups but they were courtesy of great passes from his teammates. He hit a couple of free throws as well, but he struggled again from the field. Vannoy looks to have some talent, and plays like he talent (takes a lot of shots) so I'm thinking he might be cold right now. But for the games I've seen him play, he's shooting more than anyone on the team, and making among the least. Fix Vannoy and you got a solid team. I like the post options for Central. Getting Albright back gives them 4 skilled post players, Devault, Sturgill, and Winchell. None of them have great size, but 4 skilled post players is saying something. We'll have to see how they hold up throughout the season. So, which is the real Central team? The one who got punched in the face against Science Hill or the one that outplayed the "best" team in the conference. I try to study the games and figure this stuff out, but I don't know. You never know what you're gonna get from these guys.

DB: I'm all for upsets (every now and then) but sometimes you wanna have a great team to fall back on. I'm not a DB fan by any means, but the team that showed up against Greeneville was the smooth juggernaunt that I was expecting. They were fun to watch, and they looked like they could make East TN proud with their play. Then they go to Central and it was like, what?? This game means DB is more flawed than everyone (me included) thought. It makes for a more compelling Big 9 race, but confirms East TN is weaker than I thought. Maybe we caught DB on an off-night and it'll be the "normal" DB from now on. I don't know, though. DB shot the ball poorly, might be just for one game, but maybe DB just can't shoot all that well. I don't know, we'll just have to watch them more. I was cheering for DB tonight, but it had nothing to do with the name "Dobyns-Bennett." It could have been any school in this area (SOUTH!!!) with DB's talent. But this year, I didn't care about the actual Big 9 race as much as I felt like seeing a great team play in our area. I guess the Celtics spoiled me. I wanted the team I saw against Greeneville, all year. One I could keep grading an 'A.' DB disappointed me, so my fallback plan is watch how this top 4 shakes out.

Again congratulations Cougars. Keep the minutes up for Winchell!

central did a great job especially considering DB hacked and bodied them all night. central couldn't look at DB without getting a fouled called.

frogger, the officials were bad both ways. It was obvious they were bad both ways. That said, the referees were not a factor in the outcome of the game, they were a push.

This years DB team has "Bad Carma". I don't think they will win the Big 9 or make it to the state tournment. I was hoping that the way they played against Volunteer was a fluke. It was not. I can see them losing at least three more conference games and finishing 3rd at best.

I think the jury is still out on that. Two years ago, with Josef Throp and Cody Sensabaugh (and Sylvester and Edwards as sophomores) the Indians lost three conference games before the Arby's Classic and all had wrote them off. They found their stride in the Arby's and finished 13-3 in conference play and went on to the State Sectional, losing in a close game at Knox Powell. This is still a pretty good team, and as they say, all good teams have an off night. Hopefully it will open their eyes. We'll see how they bounce back against Tennessee High next Monday and again in how they perform in the Arby's.

On another note, it appears the match ups between the top four will be entertaining to watch in the coming weeks.

frogger, the officials were bad both ways. It was obvious they were bad both ways. That said, the referees were not a factor in the outcome of the game, they were a push.

i have seen several big 9 games this year and this is the worst i have seen for officating. they are watch the ball instead of the shooters and jerseys being held and players dribble by and then they make a hand check call. i think if they make and call a good game for both teams their are a lot of teams that could make a difference at the end of the game by freethrows. but you have to also look at what teams get the calls because of tourn. jmo