big 9 basketball

unc1

Regarding the game against Volunteer..... "I said in the pregame I didn't want our guys to play down to the level of the opposition after playing so well in Knoxville. I was concerned we'd take them lightly. They acted like they wanted it more than we did,'' said Morgan.

And regarding the Central upset..... ???I saw it in the locker room and it??™s really disappointing,??? said Morgan of his team??™s readiness to play. ???But give the Cougars credit. They came out and played an excellent ballgame and we didn??™t match their intensity at the first. We missed some easy baskets and when you start missing easy baskets it??™s going to come back to haunt you."

With that said, DB will be fine come Arby's and come District time. They are playing to the level of their opponent, something I said on here a couple of weeks ago after the Crockett game. They will play their best against the Hills and opponents at their expected level of play. The problem arises with the teams not quite at that level. DB tends to not stay focused and will let a team stay in the game. Last year, DB would build 30 point leads and not let up. Now they let 12 point leads linger and get down to 4 or 5, and with a team like Central, it proved costly. Central is always on the cusp of being really competitive with the Hills and DBs. TN High is also in the talks year in and out. Look at the Greeneville game, they played to the expected level because that was a big game. But they will get more focused as the year unfolds. GOD Bless!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the game against Volunteer..... "I said in the pregame I didn't want our guys to play down to the level of the opposition after playing so well in Knoxville. I was concerned we'd take them lightly. They acted like they wanted it more than we did,'' said Morgan.

And regarding the Central upset..... ???I saw it in the locker room and it??™s really disappointing,??? said Morgan of his team??™s readiness to play. ???But give the Cougars credit. They came out and played an excellent ballgame and we didn??™t match their intensity at the first. We missed some easy baskets and when you start missing easy baskets it??™s going to come back to haunt you."

With that said, DB will be fine come Arby's and come District time. They are playing to the level of their opponent, something I said on here a couple of weeks ago after the Crockett game. They will play their best against the Hills and opponents at their expected level of play. The problem arises with the teams not quite at that level. DB tends to not stay focused and will let a team stay in the game. Last year, DB would build 30 point leads and not let up. Now they let 12 point leads linger and get down to 4 or 5, and with a team like Central, it proved costly. Central is always on the cusp of being really competitive with the Hills and DBs. TN High is also in the talks year in and out. Look at the Greeneville game, they played to the expected level because that was a big game. But they will get more focused as the year unfolds. GOD Bless!!!!

I agree with you. They play a quality team, they play quality basketball. They play a scrappy team, they have a let down. They play a bad team, they are flat and do enough to win. I don't understand why, but that is the way it is.

I agree with you. they play a quality team, they play quality basketball. They play a scrappy team, they have a let down. They play a bad team, they are flat and do enough to win. I don't understand why, but that is the way it is.

Because they are teenagers with attentions spans of about 30 seconds.

and thank you very much to Stokomo and tricitiessportsfan for the nice words...you are both very fine people and great supporters and promoters of high school athletics and the kids that play them...let's all keep enjoying the games that we play(ed)...thanks for listening, too...

Merry Christmas

Roll Tribe Roll

I knew my Rebels had it in them! We weren't afraid of the DWD and we went in a took no prisoners. Central blew another game after beating DB. We aren't very good, at all, right now; yet we still won. I'm extremely proud of our guys. I know the Cougars weren't 100% but they should have had enough pieces to have beaten lowly South. Albright definately isn't going to give you anything that Devault can't. Devault trumps Albright! So does Taylor Winchell! Brown was slowed by ankle, but who doesn't have ankle problems these days! Roberts wasn't a factor. He had been shooting lights out. From the South side (great song by Moby) its real simple. We shot the ball unbelievably well. That's probably not going to happen again, so savor this night. They did take control of the post game tonight, as well, which is something South can build on, but the win tonight came down to shooting. I'm proud of South, and this can be our signature win. I'd love if we shot like that every game but hey, I'm a realist! But friends, here's the thing. Vannoy continues to astound me. Note to coachT readers: I am astounded. He never stops shooting. He never gets his team into the offense. He walks and mopes around. He doesn't hit his assignments on defense. Yet he still plays! And apparently the coach keeps the green light on for him. I imagine at halftime he goes around the room punching his teammates in the face. He's basically punching his team in the face by playing for himself. Tons of shots, little defense. The box score will tell you he scored 20 or 21, but it's the same old thing. Keeping his teammates out of rhythm and not playing defense. The bad thing for Cougar fans is he'll probably think "I had 20!" and keep on doing the same thing. Why do I keep going off about this? Because I'm sick of watching good teams falter (with the exception of tonight against my Rebs.) I'm sick of watching DB not show up against Central, I'm sick of THS having to escape against Boone, I'm sick of Central not being able to beat teams who are worse than them. DB has got to play with more intensity and find ways to keep feeding the post, cause shooting 3s isn't their game. THS may be just not very good. And Central has Vannoy playing selfish basketball. Science Hill has been the only 'rock' this season. I've gotta question the leadership of the Cougars. If you have a player who is hurting your team this badly, (maybe they're unaware of it, which is their own fault) you have to have your leaders stand up and say something about it. You can't keep your mouth shut, especially seniors, while you keep losing games. I cheer for South and the rest of the conference I'm impartial about. I don't care about who is who unless its South, but I can't stand watching a team who isn't maximizing its chances to win. If you're doing all you can and you still are losing, fine, but if you're losing and it can be fixed, then fix it! Fix it! The Central seniors need to step up and tell this junior to play the offense, and guard somebody on defense. Or maybe Vannoy will just keeping punching them in the face and jack up more shots. I like dark horse teams, and Central, after DB, looked like it could be a dark horse. It could have be one of those fun years in the big 9 where Central steals the conference. I was looking forward to that. They ruined the very next game. And the game after that (tonight). I blame Vannoy for his selfish play, but I also blame the seniors. I've praised Devault and Roberts because they've been great in the games I've seen, but I'm depraising their leadership. I know Central fans will read this, heck, maybe Vannoy or the players if they check this thing. Let this be my decree to all things holy: Central fans wanna hate on everybody, like DB or the Rebels in football season. Here's your chance to have a top team, to mock all those teams you hate on. Let the word spread like wildfire, Get everyone on the team on the same page. Get Vannoy to play within the offense, stop firing up shots, and defer to better shooters (Roberts and Brown) and post players (Devault, Winchell). Get your seniors to show some fire and take pride in their season instead of letting some junior come in and take their season hostage. If Central people don't read this and spread the word, and take pride in your team, then you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HATE ON ANYBODY ELSE AGAIN. Personally, aside from my penchant for a dark horse, and my distaste for bad basketball, I don't care what Central does. I'm fine watching DB and Science Hill and South. But nobody spreads hate like Central fans, and I'm giving you this opportunity to back it all up. Like I said, if you read this, fan or player, and don't try to do what it takes to fix this season, then don't hate on any team again. You can never call DB or Sciene Hill overrated, and you can't gripe about whatever is you guys gripe about with THS. And after tonight, you can't say anything to South about anything! Like I said, if you guys can't realize what potential you have on your team, then it doesn't bother me, it gives South an extra spot in the conference, but just make sure you don't get on here and hate on other teams who don't have your guys' problem.

This is a pretty powerful post, yet I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with it.

I'm not going to get into it, but Vannoy will still be playing at the end of the year. That's the sad part. They kid has talent, but it seems to be all about him. You can tell his teammates are getting frustrated with him too. Especially the seniors. Brown was on his case a few different times during the South game. Something will have to change to keep this Central team from being a bust and a waste of talent.

As far as Roberts being a non factor, he was very sick. Yet he still tried to play. You could tell he wasn't 100%. He was worn out.

Well what about tonights games? Anyone?

Yesterday??™s Big 9 Conference Scoreboard

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Sullivan Central 75, Abingdon, VA 58 ??“ HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

Volunteer 58, Chilhowie, VA 46 ??“ HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

Tonight??™s (12/19) Big 9 Conference Schedule

Sullivan East @ Dobyns Bennett

Tennessee High @ Science Hill ??“ Freedom Hall

David Crockett vs. Chuckey-Doak ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone vs. Elizabethton ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Sullivan Central vs. Lebanon, VA ??“ Winners Bracket in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

Volunteer vs. Twin Valley, VA* ??“ Winners Bracket in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

*Twin Valley, VA is playing in this years Arby??™s Classic, opening up in a play in game against Sumter, SC.

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Dobyns Bennett over Sullivan East

When both teams score well, better defense usually prevails. Dobyns Bennett plays consistently better defense and has the speed advantage in this one. I pick the Indians to cool off the sizzling hot Patriots.

Science Hill over Tennessee High

The ??