big 9 basketball

unc1

Why is it that when DB is in a close game or happens to lose, it's always "THEY PLAY DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL", or they are not playing as a team. Always some kind of excuse. How about maybe "THEY NOT AS GREAT AS YOU THINK THEY ARE". They barely squeaked out wins against Boone, Vol. and was beaten by Central.

It is because if anyone has seen the Indians play more than a few games this season; they know this team is very talented. They have a problem with consistency, turning the ball over, and playing as a team from time to time, which is why you will hear me say 'they play down to their opponents level' and that 'they are their own worst enemy'. If you attended the majority of their games, you would see this. I try to give a realistic analysis of what I see and have seen with my own two eyes. If anything, I'm harsher on my Indians then any other Big 9 school. Attend more Dobyns Bennett games than the two or three you most likely have attended, then you'll see what I'm talking about. Until you can respond to me with more than just the regular, ??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen their freshmen play this year but was making a safe assumption. They were 30-1 last year with the only loss coming to Col. Hgts. They had an easy run to the sectional championship. This years 8th grade team looks better. Will Adams will be the next big name Topper player in basketball and football.He is an exceptional athlete with skills,quickness,speed,and strength. They also got a Vance "transfer" 6'5" Shannon Hale. Believe me, their cupboard is full!

My son is on the SHHS freshman team. They have about 10 really good players with various talents. Jaylen Allen is the most athletic. He can drive through a brick wall and has hops. Zack Howard is a six foot point guard who is hard to stop and can get hot. Hunter LeVeau is a 6'2" post man that seems to always be open. They have seven players that can play tenacious defense. Most of their points come from the defense. The rests of the points come from offensive rebounds. They are not a real good outside shooting team, but they have two non-starters who can shoot the three pointers with the best of them if left unattended and allowed to spot up. Any one of ten players can take over a game, so you can't concentrate on any one player. The eight grader, Will Adams, is good defensively and is a much more consistent outside shooter than any of the freshmen. Adams tends to be foul prone as does Jaylen Allen. Shannon is taller, but not as agile and as quick as the freshman postmen.

The team that gives the freshmen the most difficulty is the Tennessee High freshmen. Their big post, Devo, is more physical than most of Science Hill's post. When Devo is in, Science Hill brings in Bennett Blanton who is the more physical post to pound with Devo. Devo is foul prone and has to take a breather ever so often. When Devo is out, Science Hill makes hay. If he fouls out, Tennessee High seems to lose some of their spirit.

I think Coach Cutlip can't wait for the opportunity to have the eight and nine graders matriculate onto varsity. I wouldn't be surprised to see between 7 and 10 freshmen playing varsity next year, but I agree the year after that Science Hill should be the strongest with speed, size, and shooters. But at this age, it is hard to say who is going to grow and who will not, who will blossom, and who won't. I've seen several can't miss athletes in middle school that couldn't even make the team their senior year.

It is because if anyone has seen the Indians play more than a few games this season; they know this team is very talented. They have a problem with consistency, turning the ball over, and playing as a team from time to time, which is why you will hear me say 'they play down to their opponents level' and that 'they are their own worst enemy'. If you attended the majority of their games, you would see this. I try to give a realistic analysis of what I see and have seen with my own two eyes. If anything, I'm harsher on my Indians then any other Big 9 school. Attend more Dobyns Bennett games than the two or three you most likely have attended, then you'll see what I'm talking about. Until you can respond to me with more than just the regular, ??

Just gonna be honest Ron Bliss. Most people read your web site so we don't wanna see your post game recap. Its too long and no one cares

I guess some people just can't get it through their heads that I'm not Ron Bliss. I'd hate to give the man I bad name. If he were able to write his post game articles for the website and also post personal game recaps on these boards, he'd be super human. That said, I don't care if 'we' like or dislike my post game recaps. Pass them over if they rub you the wrong way or, in your own words, are 'too long' for you to read. I concede that I can be wordy, but the length of and vocabulary used in my posts should positively contribute to your reading skills. Don't expect me to give up these boards because you, better yet 'we', don't like to read my wordy posts that zero people care about. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I guess some people just can't get it through their heads that I'm not Ron Bliss. I'd hate to give the man I bad name. If he were able to write his post game articles for the website and also post personal game recaps on these boards, he'd be super human. That said, I don't care if 'we' like or dislike my post game recaps. Pass them over if they rub you the wrong way or, in your own words, are 'too long' for you to read. I concede that I can be wordy, but the length of and vocabulary used in my posts should positively contribute to your reading skills. Don't expect me to give up these boards because you, better yet 'we', don't like to read my wordy posts that zero people care about. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Your posts are informative,entertaining, and thought provoking. Keep serving good food for the hungry basketball fan. Heading out for Vikes -Rebs contest. Good luck to all!

/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> OUCH! Vikings 49 Rebels 44. Sullivan South led the entire game until about 1 minute remained. South was up 27-11 at half time as Tn. Hi came out of the locker room cold as the frigid weather. The Vikes cut the lead to 10 toward the end of the 3rd qtr. only to see Aaron St. Clair bank in a runner down the lane followed by a big trey from Ashworth at the head of the key. Tn Hi. turned up the pressure in the 4th qtr as Corey Young took them on his shoulders and willed them to victory with his jump shot. South had the ball with 15 seconds left trailing by 2 and missed a good look in the lane. A foul and technical were called with less than 1 second remaining sending the Vikings to the line for free throws to stretch the final margin to 5.

The Rebels played most of the 2nd half without starting pg Bailey Dick who picked up his 4th foul midway in the 3rd qtr. and played only 1 minute of the 4th before fouling out.

Congrats Vikings. Good luck on in. I felt validated in voting Young Big 9 POTY after watching him tonight.

Rebels keep your heads up! Great effort tonight. You are close. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I??™m not ignoring ya Crawdad. It??™s just that this thread has been around for a while now??¦it would be a shame to have it shut down just because you lost your cool??¦because you do know that??™s the way ???playful banter??? with me many times ends up! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Then you??™ll have to face your boys at the game and they??™ll be givin you that ???oh??¦he got you too??? look. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> But since you brought it up??¦.I was just getting ready to say that I was reading a post on the IMAC thread where a poster said ???Watching Mo. West dismantle South Monday night was painful???. Wait a minute??¦..that was you! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> And what??™s the deal with the changing sides thing? That??™s usually the first step??¦and if that don??™t work the coach is the next change. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I've checked all my wild game cook books and I can't find anything for crow.Cap, can you help a brother out and offer some suggestions? It can't be that bad can it? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I've checked all my wild game cook books and I can't find anything for crow.Cap, can you help a brother out and offer some suggestions? It can't be that bad can it? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Sorry Crawdad /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> , its bad! I still have crow left over from the Greeneville/Jeff County FB game /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> and even Cap's famous crow sauce wasn't much help /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I'm traveling to watch my Indians tomorrow night in Greeneville, noonesfool. Will you be in attendence?

The wifey and I will be traveling to Chattanooga later this morning to spend the weekend with my oldest daughter. If I was in town, I would hook up with you and the corn and pop would be on me. Solomon and I hooked up for the GHS/Maryville FB game and had a great time.

Why is it that when DB is in a close game or happens to lose, it's always "THEY PLAY DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL", or they are not playing as a team. Always some kind of excuse. How about maybe "THEY NOT AS GREAT AS YOU THINK THEY ARE". They barely squeaked out wins against Boone, Vol. and was beaten by Central. The Big 9 is as weak as I have ever seen it. I guess it really shows how much the guys from last years DB team was missed.

The Tribe played a good game last night and didn't let up. Maybe you should stop hating on teams that are good. Some years you will see a team that has all the talent needed, but for some reason just will show up when "they want to." For the record.....they beat Farragut (16-3) who is dominating the Knoxville area, beat TN High (1st in Big Nine), Beat Tabernacle (who beat TN High in Bahamas), even against the Hill (1-1), beat siegel (13-3 and has beaten all the Memphis teams such as Liberty Tech (16-2) and Memphis Central (beat Bradley Central)......so if you do your homework, you will see that they have the talent to beat just about anybody if they can stay focused for 32 minutes and not think that they just have to show up. Buck always preached against playing down to a team's level, Pitts also preached the same thing, and CM said before the first meeting against Volunteer...."I said in the pregame I didn't want our guys to play down to the level of the opposition after playing so well in Knoxville. I was concerned we'd take them lightly. They acted like they wanted it more than we did,'' said Morgan. Three good coaches saying the same thing about how they felt their teams were or are. You can hate or think they are not as great, but then again, maybe you should appreciate a high level of play around here from DB, Science Hill, TN High, & Unicoi County (I put them in there because they play at a high level and are very competitive). GOD Bless!!!!