big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't strike me down here, CoachT faithful, and to you Sportsfan that brought the student section to my attention....but I like it. I don't care what they said, as long as it didn't dive into family matters, which I'm sure it didn't. When people say they're taking a high school team "at home" that's a joke most of the time. The players have to travel to a city they probably hit up on the weekends, so it's not like they're going more than 30 minutes away or so. The road team will have a good amount of fans most of the time, because the distance is relatively close. The crowd noise swings both ways and home court is just a formality more so than an advantage. The cleaning-up of student sections, like Central's is a joke. Well, I know where they're coming from, but it's no fun. By having to go to Science Hill tonight, DB played in front a hostile crowd for once, and apparently they got in Ashlon's head and affected the game. That's what home court is all about, and the crowd had to get a little nasty to do it, but that's home court baby. Everyone is gonna antagonize me about this post (now you're the student section, jeering me!) but I don't care. I think it's great that kids can pay money to go affect the outcome of the team they're cheering for. Home court is real!

So you were mistaken about the location. Big deal. There are still relevant points about home court advantage and the Ashlon Adams badgering.

I believe home court advantage does exist for some in the Big9. Tn. Hi and DB benefit from playing in large arenas. The extra background space behind the goals challenges jump shooters unaccustomed to it. You see the same problems with good shooting guards at the college level when they play in large venues like the Ga. Dome or La. Superdome. It changes depth perception and an adjustment is required. I believe it can also have an intimidating factor when teams from smaller venues play there. Those arenas simply say "we are bigger and better".

Science Hill on the other hand has home court advantage at the Topper Palace because of their style of play. Intensity,pressure unrelenting frantic fast paced with scoring flurries. They like it hot,cramped and LOUD. I was really surprised when they gave that up to schedule DB and Tn Hi in Freedom Hall! Taking nothing away from the Vikings "upset" earlier, but I would imagine they were more comfortable playing at FH than they would have been at TP. It will be interesting to see if DB adds to this debate. Stay tuned.

A very small gym could also provide an advantage to neutralize a very fast team. No venue in the Big 9 qualifies here. The only other team in conference with any home court advantage would be Central only because of their student section rowdiness. This of course is dependent on how the season is going and who the opponent is. Which leads me to the Ashlon Adams topic.

In the day players played the game . Now players games are known not only by how many assists they can dish, but by how much "dis" they can dish. I don't like it and I would not want mine doing it, but that's just me. What happened to Ashlon is just gamesmanship nowadays. The great players can focus and block it out. Most can't. Duke nearly destoyed Alexis Hornbuckle at Cameron by referencing her high school days shoplifting history. Summitt was furious and said so,but the Duke fans accomplished their objective as Hornbuckle played poorly and Duke won. So it can happen to All-Americans too. It seems very little is off limits now. Focus and block it out.

My bet is that Ashlon will have plenty of game left for the Toppers and what he does on the court the next one,two, or three games will shut the students and opponents up! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

So you were mistaken about the location. Big deal. There are still relevant points about home court advantage and the Ashlon Adams badgering.

Thanks for the help crawdad. I messed up where the game was, but you came to my aid, I appreciate it. While, you're making great points about home-court, I feel like saying this. I have been accused of being from DB, Central, North, and not going to high school at all, as if I'm the reincarnation of Benedict Arnold turning on his own school (or no school). That's nonsense. It's in the name, people, Rebels. Rebelrebelman isn't some conspiracy to get back at any of the schools you think I actually attended. I'm a South guy and a South fan, and you wouldn't know me if you saw me, unless of course, you were from South. Just because I talk some colorful trash about your program doesn't mean I'm the spawn of evil sent from the dark corners of earth to get even with his old school. Everytime schs78 gets on here, he tries to antagonize me and tries to solve rebelrebelman. He loses every single time. I've said it before, people like rebelrebelman. Nobody likes or cares about schs78. That's like rebelrebelman 1,000 - schs78 0.

Thanks for the help crawdad. I messed up where the game was, but you came to my aid, I appreciate it. While, you're making great points about home-court, I feel like saying this. I have been accused of being from DB, Central, North, and not going to high school at all, as if I'm the reincarnation of Benedict Arnold turning on his own school (or no school). That's nonsense. It's in the name, people, Rebels. Rebelrebelman isn't some conspiracy to get back at any of the schools you think I actually attended. I'm a South guy and a South fan, and you wouldn't know me if you saw me, unless of course, you were from South. Just because I talk some colorful trash about your program doesn't mean I'm the spawn of evil sent from the dark corners of earth to get even with his old school. Everytime schs78 gets on here, he tries to antagonize me and tries to solve rebelrebelman. He loses every single time. I've said it before, people like rebelrebelman. Nobody likes who cares about schs78. That's like rebelrebelman 1,000 - schs78 0.

RRM brings depth and humor to the board. It is a Big 9 basketball thread. Comment on games, players, and coaches is welcome. Why dig at posters? Unless of course you know nothing about basketball.

the only thing about box on the point is, his man can guard anyone else because he can't score. also i don't think his defence is that great. but who else can play the position since brown is gone? i still think against a strong press central is in trouble, i am glad that all the hatters on vannoy has changed sides for awhile, i hope its not just because they won game!! i think he is a good player but needs to change some of his ways to be a great player. central as a good team but i thought was overrated at the start of the season and yes they did but sh but it wasn't the first time they have done it. things will haveto change for they to be in the top 4 or 5 by the end of the season because it looks like south and east are in for 4th and 5th right now. but several games to good in the big 9 and anything could happen!!! we will have to wait and see

I don't know why so many people got so upset all the sudden. I'm glad they settle down to. I was thinking about the point guard to. I think the best thing to do is move Vannoy to point. He can spead the game up. He has proven he can lead the team and this would give him a chance to help the other players and be more of a team player. I thing coach Vaughn will find the answer. He has before.

The plot thickens as TN High has some breathing room for a hot minute. Everyone is talking about the Player of the Year, but I think, unless his team has a total meltdown, TN High's coach is a shoe-in for Coach of the Year honors. The next four weeks will be a wild one for the Big Nine. Anyone can win or be beaten this year on any given night. Can't wait for the District Tourney. GOD Bless!!!

The great players can focus and block it out. Most can't. Duke nearly destoyed Alexis Hornbuckle at Cameron by referencing her high school days shoplifting history. Summitt was furious and said so,but the Duke fans accomplished their objective as Hornbuckle played poorly and Duke won. So it can happen to All-Americans too. It seems very little is off limits now. Focus and block it out.

Yes your point is very true....not much of anything is off limits. We live in a time where anybody can say anything about anybody, just like on here. But some of the taunting (bad and good) have been around for a long time. I went to a game about fifteen years ago (teams left out to protect the guilty), and the home team chanted "jailbird" to a certain individual who got into trouble with the law previously. Although I do not condone such conduct, it was allowed to happen, and it really messed with the player's head. I have witnessed such taunting doesn't affect the players that are mentally tough and it has the opposite results. Great players can use it for motivation of which I have witnessed. So, no! I do not agree with such taunting but it happens. You have to develop tough skin if you want to get past your "past." Ashlon can expect ten times as bad when they go to J.C. and he must be able to tune-out the crowd and be effective on the court. The best medicine for bad manners is hard work, hustle, and a victory. Noone likes to taunt the opponent and go home with a loss..... GOD BLESS the Big Nine!!!!!

Yes your point is very true....not much of anything is off limits. We live in a time where anybody can say anything about anybody, just like on here. But some of the taunting (bad and good) have been around for a long time. I went to a game about fifteen years ago (teams left out to protect the guilty), and the home team chanted "jailbird" to a certain individual who got into trouble with the law previously. Although I do not condone such conduct, it was allowed to happen, and it really messed with the player's head. I have witnessed such taunting doesn't affect the players that are mentally tough and it has the opposite results. Great players can use it for motivation of which I have witnessed. So, no! I do not agree with such taunting but it happens. You have to develop tough skin if you want to get past your "past." Ashlon can expect ten times as bad when they go to J.C. and he must be able to tune-out the crowd and be effective on the court. The best medicine for bad manners is hard work, hustle, and a victory. Noone likes to taunt the opponent and go home with a loss..... GOD BLESS the Big Nine!!!!!

What I can't understand is why the powers that be let student sections curse outloud and play songs that have just downright trash in them. They would expell them in a heartbeat during school but allow it at games. It has been as bad this year as I have ever seen and South was the worst.

What I can't understand is why the powers that be let student sections curse outloud and play songs that have just downright trash in them. They would expell them in a heartbeat during school but allow it at games. It has been as bad this year as I have ever seen and South was the worst.

I will not speak for all, but some AD's have just as much hatred for a rival school as parents and students. It is fueled by years of rivalry, but mostly because of our times....no respect for authority, parents, adults, etc.... We as parents and adults have caused this broken bridge. I remember when I was young, if you disrespected an adult or showed your butt in public, you got taught a lesson by an adult who knew your parents and got some more when you got home. Many times today, we glorify kids and make excuses for them. Noone wants anyone to discipline or touch their kid, when its good medicine to keep a kid in check and let them know that there are consequences to their actions and will be held ACCOUNTABLE. Forget DRINKABILITY......let's have ACCOUNTABILITY!!!! GOD Bless.....

I'd like to hear more. Can you elaborate any more without getting too graphic. I sit away from the students at South so I cannot hear what you are referencing in the cheering. As far as the pre-game songs, I can't tell what any of the lyrics are anyway. Is there vulgar language? I guess I'm just an old geezer. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I will not speak for all, but some AD's have just as much hatred for a rival school as parents and students. It is fueled by years of rivalry, but mostly because of our times....no respect for authority, parents, adults, etc.... We as parents and adults have caused this broken bridge. I remember when I was young, if you disrespected an adult or showed your butt in public, you got taught a lesson by an adult who knew your parents and got some more when you got home. Many times today, we glorify kids and make excuses for them. Noone wants anyone to discipline or touch their kid, when its good medicine to keep a kid in check and let them know that there are consequences to their actions and will be held ACCOUNTABLE. Forget DRINKABILITY......let's have ACCOUNTABILITY!!!! GOD Bless.....

Stokomo,I respect you as a poster but am having a little trouble with what you are suggesting here. Don't let me put words in your mouth. Are you saying that an AD would encourage a student section to curse at an opponent or at least look the other way because of his feelngs toward the other school? Seems like this would be the principal's responsibility anyway. Hope I've misunderstood your intention.