big 9 basketball

unc1

ONe game, South's girls came out to a song that said Feel Yourself. The next song had b....., sh.., f..., and other words in it.

The student section continually did cheers that used curse words and one that said f... them.

I know others curse including Central and East.

I just don't understand why the administrators put up with it.

I will say that I believe principals put up with it because they don't want to deal with it or the parents.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stokomo,I respect you as a poster but am having a little trouble with what you are suggesting here. Don't let me put words in your mouth. Are you saying that an AD would encourage a student section to curse at an opponent or at least look the other way because of his feelngs toward the other school? Seems like this would be the principal's responsibility anyway. Hope I've misunderstood your intention.

The AD is only worried that you got your shirt tail in or wearing a belt,touch your cell phone and it is taken away.It is a prison now.

The AD is only worried that you got your shirt tail in or wearing a belt,touch your cell phone and it is taken away.It is a prison now.

Wouldn't that kinda mean the AD isn't gonna allow the cursing and all that stuff Stokomo was talking about? If they want everything to be proper and this no cell-phone stuff, you would think explicit rap songs are off-limits, too.

ONe game, South's girls came out to a song that said Feel Yourself. The next song had b....., sh.., f..., and other words in it.

The student section continually did cheers that used curse words and one that said f... them.

I will say that I believe principals put up with it because they don't want to deal with it or the parents.

i will say i have attended hme games for the 3 teams mentioned above and all these schools have good student sections. but i will say i did hear those words at south buti haven't heard anything like that at east or central. i would think that this would be the principal job instead of the ad. they could pssibly be the coach. as centrals coach and so does east.don't know about other schools. parents could also put a stop to the cussing if anything is to them!!!

Thanks for the reply although I'm disheartened to learn of this. The head coaches have got to be responsible for content of pre-game music. I doubt seriously that they have even heard it. I'll go out on a limb and guess that the SRs. get to choose that music , and if so ,they are ultimately responsible for embarrassing their community. The student section problem is less easily handled. Outside of announcements at school, I can't imagine how you would deal with this as administrators unless you plant teachers among the student section as watchdogs or employ undercover students to police their own. It's a shame our young people have come to this. We ask our athletes to play hard and play clean. Student bodies should cheer hard but clean. Hip hop, reality shows, MTV, and hollywood in general have soured the mores of our next generation. Parents are burdened with the pressure of raising strong children who can withstand tremendous peer pressure.

Sorry for the editorial. I'd much rather discuss Big 9 basketball. For those offended please accept my apology on behalf of the South community. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Score Update!

Tennessee High - 48

Greeneville - 47

Final.

Greeneville misses the front end of a 1-and-1 with 6 seconds left, allowing the Vikings to rebound and get the ball down court where Corey Young is fouled around the basket with 0.3 seconds left. Young hits the front end of a 1-and-1 and misses the back end on purpose to run out the clock. Vikings hold on for a nice non-conference victory!

Score Update!

Tennessee High - 48

Greeneville - 47

Final.

Greeneville misses the front end of a 1-and-1 with 6 seconds left, allowing the Vikings to rebound and get the ball down court where Corey Young is fouled around the basket with 0.3 seconds left. Young hits the front end of a 1-and-1 and misses the back end on purpose to run out the clock. Vikings hold on for a nice non-conference victory!

Congrats to the Vikings!Way to do the Big 9 proud! Where are you Cap ? Get on here and celebrate. Tell us all about it. How'd Corey do? Obviously well enough to seal the deal.

Stokomo,I respect you as a poster but am having a little trouble with what you are suggesting here. Don't let me put words in your mouth. Are you saying that an AD would encourage a student section to curse at an opponent or at least look the other way because of his feelngs toward the other school? Seems like this would be the principal's responsibility anyway. Hope I've misunderstood your intention.

Sorry to get back with you so late. But as you see, there are incidents of which the "goings-on" at functions that should not be tolerated. I guess with all the legal and "red-tape" issues in our schools today, noone really thinks anything of it as long as their is nothing physical coming out of it. And yes it is hard to raise kids to be upstanding citizens despite the peer pressure that exists in schools. But that is why parents are on this earth, to watch over what God has blessed us with. Even in the prestigious Big Nine Conference, issues are prevalent and sometime swept under the rug. I believe in letting kids heckle, have fun, get under the opposing teams' skin, but there is a limit to what should be said in the mist of rivalries. They do not let the kids do this anymore....my guess is for cleaning issues...but our (DB 80's) home games had the student section reading a newspaper when the starting line-up was introduced for the visitors. Then when we were introduced, the students already had newspaper confetti to throw. It wasn't to get under opposing teams skin so much as it was to pump us up and play hard. When we went on the road, Buck had us mentally prepared so we could withstand the student section of the home team and others.... GOD BLESS!!!!

Congrats to the Vikings!Way to do the Big 9 proud! Where are you Cap ? Get on here and celebrate. Tell us all about it. How'd Corey do? Obviously well enough to seal the deal.

I guess a win is a win, but I have to say that I was disappointed that the Vikings weren??™t abel to be more convincing against the Green Devils this time around. As I??™ve said earlier this season is all about the match-up. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> The Vikings still had a hard time keeping the two athletic guards in front of them. Lloyd and Anderson where able to penetrate almost at will even when the Vikings set in their patented fortified zone defense and make plays. Short was also hitting his shots from the perimeter which kept Greeneville in the game in the first half. With under a minute left in the game and the score tied the Vikings had the ball. In the article on tricitiessports.com Coach Witcher said that they thought about calling a timeout after Lloyd missed the free throw with 6 seconds left in the game??¦but I believe he could have saved himself allot of grief had he called the timeout when it was tied with under a minute left and instructed his team to hold the ball for the last shot...because Greeneville was content with sitting back in the zone. Instead they tried to turn a play over that resulted in Canty committing his third charge under the basket sending Lloyd to the foul line with 6 seconds left, and himself to the bench with 5 fouls. He/we were very fortunate Lloyd missed the free throw. Greeneville played well tonight and Coach Duncan always has a good game plan against the Vikings.

One note about the article in tricitiessports.com. The article stated ???Dobyns-Bennett will have a chance to pull even with them in the win column when it hosts Daniel Boone???. If DB wins its game against Boone tomorrow night they will improve to a 6-2 conference record. The Vikings are as of now 7-1 in conference play. HOW IS THAT EVEN??? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Tricitiessports.com also has DB ahead of Science Hill with the Hill sporting a 6-1 conference record and a head to head win over a DB team that has a conference record of 5-2 at this time. On the other hand the Johnson City Press has Science Hill in first place in the conference with a 6-1 record, Tennessee High in second at 6-1, and DB in third at 5-2. Are these guys that incompetent and unable to count wins and losses against conference opponents, or is this a laughable childish attempt to keep their respective favorites at the top of the conference leader board? I know this sounds trivial but it??™s really getting under my skin that these two (especially tricitiessports.com) are incapable of being impartial and give credit where it is due. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

One note about the article in tricitiessports.com. The article stated ???Dobyns-Bennett will have a chance to pull even with them in the win column when it hosts Daniel Boone???. If DB wins its game against Boone tomorrow night they will improve to a 6-2 conference record. The Vikings are as of now 7-1 in conference play. HOW IS THAT EVEN??? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Tricitiessports.com also has DB ahead of Science Hill with the Hill sporting a 6-1 conference record and a head to head win over a DB team that has a conference record of 5-2 at this time. On the other hand the Johnson City Press has Science Hill in first place in the conference with a 6-1 record, Tennessee High in second at 6-1, and DB in third at 5-2. Are these guys that incompetent and unable to count wins and losses against conference opponents, or is this a laughable childish attempt to keep their respective favorites at the top of the conference leader board? I know this sounds trivial but it??™s really getting under my skin that these two (especially tricitiessports.com) are incapable of being impartial and give credit where it is due. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I noticed that myself, it is rather sad. If it makes you feel any better, the Kingsport Times News has the standings correctly printed. As long as we know it, I suppose that is all that matters Cap. Below is the lateast TriCitiesSports.com NET Top 10 Poll, what are your thoughts?

TriCitiesSports.com NET Top 10

Team Name (Overall, Conference/Current rank in conference)

1. - Science Hill (14-4, 6-1/#2 in Big 9 Conference Standings)

2. - Dobyns Bennett (12-4, 5-2/#3 in Big 9 Conference Standings)

3. - Unicoi Co. (14-2, 5-0/#1 in Watauga Conference Standings)

4. - Morristown East (11-5, 5-0/#1 in IMAC Standings)

5. - Tennessee High (11-7, 7-1/#1 in Big 9 Conference Standings)

6. - Sullivan East (11-5, 5-2/#4 in Big 9 Conference Standings)

7. - Cocke Co. (9-5, 4-1/#2 in IMAC Standings)

8. - Greeneville (14-6, 3-2/#3 in IMAC Standings)

9. - Sullivan South (10-7, 2-4/#6 in Big 9 Conference Standings)

10. - Sullivan Central (11-7, 3-4/#5 in Big 9 Conference Standings)

I guess a win is a win, but I have to say that I was disappointed that the Vikings weren??™t abel to be more convincing against the Green Devils this time around. As I??™ve said earlier this season is all about the match-up. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> The Vikings still had a hard time keeping the two athletic guards in front of them. Lloyd and Anderson where able to penetrate almost at will even when the Vikings set in their patented fortified zone defense and make plays. Short was also hitting his shots from the perimeter which kept Greeneville in the game in the first half. With under a minute left in the game and the score tied the Vikings had the ball. In the article on tricitiessports.com Coach Witcher said that they thought about calling a timeout after Lloyd missed the free throw with 6 seconds left in the game??¦but I believe he could have saved himself allot of grief had he called the timeout when it was tied with under a minute left and instructed his team to hold the ball for the last shot...because Greeneville was content with sitting back in the zone. Instead they tried to turn a play over that resulted in Canty committing his third charge under the basket sending Lloyd to the foul line with 6 seconds left, and himself to the bench with 5 fouls. He/we were very fortunate Lloyd missed the free throw. Greeneville played well tonight and Coach Duncan always has a good game plan against the Vikings.

Bias? Surely not! Maybe it's Kingsportsports.com!Keep beating em till they cry "uncle". It will take care of itself. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

If the refs let Lloyd go to the line after drawing a charge, this was the wrong call. You do not shoot foul shots on player control fouls such as charges. Sounds like this was a crucial mistake by the officials at a very crucial part of the game.