big 9 basketball

unc1

The wifey and I will be traveling to Chattanooga later this morning to spend the weekend with my oldest daughter. If I was in town, I would hook up with you and the corn and pop would be on me. Solomon and I hooked up for the GHS/Maryville FB game and had a great time.

Another time then. The Region 1 Tournament is at Dobyns Bennett this year, so I should play host to you come February. Save travels.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News of Interest

Middle 8 Conference Boys/Girls Conference Basketball Tournament

John Sevier Middle School ??“ Kingsport, TN

January 24, 26, 27, and 29

The tournament is single elimination.

Tournament Homepage

Middle 8 Conference*

Church Hill ??“ Church Hill, TN/Volunteer

Colonial Heights ??“ Kingsport, TN/Sullivan South

John Sevier ??“ Kingsport, TN/Dobyns Bennett

Ross N. Robinson ??“ Kingsport, TN/Dobyns Bennett

Science Hill ??“ Johnson City, TN/Science Hill

T.A. Dugger ??“ Elizabethton, TN/Elizabethton

Unicoi Co. ??“ Erwin, TN/Unicoi Co.

Vance ??“ Bristol, TN/Tennessee High

*The above order is in alphabetical order; it is not reflective of final conference standings.

The Tribe played a good game last night and didn't let up. Maybe you should stop hating on teams that are good. Some years you will see a team that has all the talent needed, but for some reason just will show up when "they want to." For the record.....they beat Farragut (16-3) who is dominating the Knoxville area, beat TN High (1st in Big Nine), Beat Tabernacle (who beat TN High in Bahamas), even against the Hill (1-1), beat siegel (13-3 and has beaten all the Memphis teams such as Liberty Tech (16-2) and Memphis Central (beat Bradley Central)......so if you do your homework, you will see that they have the talent to beat just about anybody if they can stay focused for 32 minutes and not think that they just have to show up. Buck always preached against playing down to a team's level, Pitts also preached the same thing, and CM said before the first meeting against Volunteer...."I said in the pregame I didn't want our guys to play down to the level of the opposition after playing so well in Knoxville. I was concerned we'd take them lightly. They acted like they wanted it more than we did,'' said Morgan. Three good coaches saying the same thing about how they felt their teams were or are. You can hate or think they are not as great, but then again, maybe you should appreciate a high level of play around here from DB, Science Hill, TN High, & Unicoi County (I put them in there because they play at a high level and are very competitive). GOD Bless!!!!

Besides the few years Pitts had at SH, how can you say it is a high level of basketball in this area???? If you mean beating the smaller schools in the Big 9 then it is a high level. I have played and watched basketball since the 70's, and I don't see very many gold balls in the trophy cases (especially DB's). The 3 from SH from a talented group and good coach, 1 from Unaka, and 1 from Hampton in the 50's. Is this what you call HIGH LEVEL? As far as Unicoi, they probably play in the weakest AA conference in the STATE, and has yet to get out of the Sub-State. Another one of your high level teams! Maybe the teams DB beat early in the season still had some football players missing, since DB had theirs after the first round. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Besides the few years Pitts had at SH, how can you say it is a high level of basketball in this area???? If you mean beating the smaller schools in the Big 9 then it is a high level. I have played and watched basketball since the 70's, and I don't see very many gold balls in the trophy cases (especially DB's). The 3 from SH from a talented group and good coach, 1 from Unaka, and 1 from Hampton in the 50's. Is this what you call HIGH LEVEL? As far as Unicoi, they probably play in the weakest AA conference in the STATE, and has yet to get out of the Sub-State. Another one of your high level teams! Maybe the teams DB beat early in the season still had some football players missing, since DB had theirs after the first round. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

It is a shame that you just can't enjoy these high school games. For this area it is a high level. In the grand scheme of things, the most important aspect of TSSAA athletics is to get these guys (& gals) prepared for life after high school, to make better citizens while having fun. Noone is comparing the East to Memphis ball. I have seen & coached against the best in the country, so I do know what the top levels of America have to offer. Just because you want to say what this area doesn't have, doesn't mean there's no good ball around here. There aren't many areas of TN besides the Memphis area that comes home with the Gold Ball. Those players play year round and on 24/hr courts. I never said this was the HIGHEST LEVEL of competition. Please just enjoy what we have around here. If it's not to your liking, you can always move to Memphis.

It is a shame that you just can't enjoy these high school games. For this area it is a high level. In the grand scheme of things, the most important aspect of TSSAA athletics is to get these guys (& gals) prepared for life after high school, to make better citizens while having fun. Noone is comparing the East to Memphis ball. I have seen & coached against the best in the country, so I do know what the top levels of America have to offer. Just because you want to say what this area doesn't have, doesn't mean there's no good ball around here. There aren't many areas of TN besides the Memphis area that comes home with the Gold Ball. Those players play year round and on 24/hr courts. I never said this was the HIGHEST LEVEL of competition. Please just enjoy what we have around here. If it's not to your liking, you can always move to Memphis.

Good post stokomo.Its about as high level as it gets in this part of the state.

Play as a team and its anybody's big 9 this year.

Good post stokomo.Its about as high level as it gets in this part of the state.

Play as a team and its anybody's big 9 this year.

Thanks....I really love the tourney time coming up next month. Every team puts their best on and if you don't come ready to play, you'll be staying home. I like to watch the underdogs fight for their lives. It's something about Seniors knowing this may be their last organized game on the hardwood. Adrenaline starts pumping, sweat glands go into overtime, and most of all....emotions are let loose and 100% is given for 32 minutes. That's pure basketball!!! GOD Bless.....

The fact that Kingsport doesn't have a place where kids can go play ball is pretty unbelieveable. The height of basketball interest is in the winter, during the season, and outdoor courts are rendered useless. The Y is the only place, and I've heard that it's pretty terrible. And I've heard there's a place in Elizabethton, which is too far for Kingsport/Colonial Heights people. Who's runnin' this town?!

The fact that Kingsport doesn't have a place where kids can go play ball is pretty unbelieveable. The height of basketball interest is in the winter, during the season, and outdoor courts are rendered useless. The Y is the only place, and I've heard that it's pretty terrible. And I've heard there's a place in Elizabethton, which is too far for Kingsport/Colonial Heights people. Who's runnin' this town?!

You might not remember way back when, but I grew up in the Riverview Community. Do you remember the Blizzard of January 1985. Kingsport City Schools were out two weeks, the coldest temps EVER in this area hit along with 6" of ice and 15" of snow. The temps were so cold that the workers could not put salt on the roads because it would freeze instantly (record cold of -21). Buck was sitting on 899 wins. All of that and WE STILL practiced at the Dome. Scotty Edwards, Randall Releford, and myself would ride 4-wheelers to practice or Al Wilkes would pick us up. I was even in on a game of 1/2 court with some people on the outside courts (after we shoveled snow) in the View. We finally played against Elizabethton (Elvin Brown played that year) and got Buck his 900th win. All of that was said to show the dedication people had in those days. Today is about "oh..it's too cold, let's stay in and play Wii basketball!" I'm not knocking today's youth because they have more at their fingertips to do than play sports. It's not their fault technology has made our society somewhat lazy. And it's also very hard for these kids to stay focused on one thing. GOD Bless!!!!

News of Interest

Middle 8 Conference Boys/Girls Conference Basketball Tournament

John Sevier Middle School ??“ Kingsport, TN

January 24, 26, 27, and 29

The tournament is single elimination.

Tournament Homepage

Middle 8 Conference*

Church Hill ??“ Church Hill, TN/Volunteer

Colonial Heights ??“ Kingsport, TN/Sullivan South

John Sevier ??“ Kingsport, TN/Dobyns Bennett

Ross N. Robinson ??“ Kingsport, TN/Dobyns Bennett

Science Hill ??“ Johnson City, TN/Science Hill

T.A. Dugger ??“ Elizabethton, TN/Elizabethton

Unicoi Co. ??“ Erwin, TN/Unicoi Co.

Vance ??“ Bristol, TN/Tennessee High

*The above order is in alphabetical order; it is not reflective of final conference standings.

Update!

Trophy has been mailed to Science Hill. All other teams are playing for second place! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Trophy has been mailed to Science Hill. All other teams are playing for second place! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You??™re pretty much right. When talking to the coaches from John Sevier, currently in 2nd place, they told me Science Hill is head and shoulders above the rest of the conference. As to be expected though, the 8th grade team is pooled from the whole city, as is Vance in Bristol. I've yet to figure out if having two or more middle or K-8 schools feeding into a high school is detrimental to maximizing team potential in high school (ex. Robinson/Sevier, Holston/Blountville). Thoughts?

There was an article in a Sunday edition of the Kingsport Times News a few weeks ago that detailed the results of a study commissioned by city officials on the possibilities of added Parks & Rec facilities, one of which was a recreation center with multiple court facilities. I tried searching the archives of the Kingsport Times News E-Edition, but the archive page would not load so I'll look for it again tomorrow and see what I can find. If I find it, I'll post it to the board.