big 9 basketball

unc1

I have no clue why she was not kicked out. Maybe the refs just wanted to get out of there. I do not blame them one bit.

I'm not one sided. I do not have a child who has attended or will attend David Crockett. I do not work there. I do not have any family members there. I just go to support the team because I live in the community. I'm not an upset parent. I simply go to the games to watch and support.

The coach needs to keep his student-athlete's best interest in mind. The way the game was and the way both crowds were acting I do not see where anyone can judge him for getting out of there fast.

I wish people would not be so quick to point fingers and take responsibility for their own actions. The AD may have made a mistake. Who hasn't? There was a fight that just about got way out of hand. I'm glad the student-athletes had self control. We as a crowd were crazy.

Yes I agree, we were crazy. But he had reason to walk over and try and bully those kids to sit down. If they would of been made to sit down the Crockett student section would of gone crazy with excitement. Luckily 2 of the Washington Co. police officers saw what he was up too and didnt let that happen. Those kids did nothing no other kid or parent was doing in that gym.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that tonight was a lose-lose situation for everyone. Our young people are watching us.

There were a number of people who left. I'm sure a number of people were shocked at what happened.

The refs. Even if their calling is not what people want it to be, does that mean they deserve to be yelled at in such a demeaning way? If people have such a problem with the refs....get in touch with the TSSAA.

Oh I'm sure they have already been contacted! We have 7 kids unable to play a very important game tonight against South. Yes the rule is if they were on the floor they are ejected. At Crockett if you step off a bleacher you are on the floor. The Crockett student section was on the foor all night. Hard to believe only 2 kids were ejected from Crockett. I still have no idea why they wouldnt watch the tape. There were boys on the floor who made no attempt to get in this brawl, but were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I hope they all learned a lesson from tonight.

Dobyns-Bennett killed Sullivan Central. The Cougars looked like they had never played against a team playing defense against them. Numerous walks and carrying the ball were called and several were not called against the Cougars. I guess the Refs felt bad for them.

DB is playing better and better. They do not look like the same team from just a couple of weeks ago. AA, Ashlon Adams and Jordan Edwards inside play is awesome and the Guards are getting them the ball. When the Indians shoot the outside shot like they have been since the Boone game, we can't be beat by any local team.

That was a statement Friday night in the Dome!

Roll Tribe Roll

No fight with fans only players. Please get the facts b4 you report them. And it was Volunteer 20 Crockett 12. Volunteer had the lead from tipoff.

My apologies isit5oclockyet, thank you for the correction. My post came from the information passed along by the Dobyns Bennett postgame show on AM 1320, information that had probably been passed along three times before that. Then there is always the risk that I heard it wrong. Either way, my apologies.

You are in luck. The loser will be finished for the year. The winner however will still be able to qualify for the sectional at Pigeon Forge even losing to Science Hill in the Semis. the Middle 8 conference tourney serves as a first round elimination game. All 4 winners will automatically qualify for seeding in the area tourney at Sevier next week. There will be 11-14? teams or so in that one. From there, the top 3 will qualify for the sectional. One of your teams will be in the hunt next week. Seeding is based on total season's record regardless of who you've played.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've been confused by that since they instituted the TMSAA post season a decade ago. Hopefully Swafford will show out today, Sevier shot horribly earlier this week at Robinson.

I read the article from the newspaper and one thing disappointed me very much. I only noticed the Volunteer coach bieng qouted, so I can only go by his statements. Why didn't the coach reprimand his players for not acting in a mature and sportsman like manner during the ball game, no matter what happens! What if the district tourney was next? The team would be done!!! I would be very disappointed in my players if this happened to my team. You have try and go over every situation with your team...just in case! I know things are going to happen, but you still have to discipline! This would be a perfect oppurtunity to do some like lessons. If this was in a parking lot or bar...the kids would be in jail.

Hopefully, the coaches did discipline behind close doors. AND no the players not getting to play the next two games are NOT punishment enough.

I am from Hawkins Co. and this disappoints me, not from the standpoint of the fight, but how it was supposedly handled. Like I said earlier...maybe it was addressed after the game behind closed doors.

by Ron Bliss

TriCitiesSports.com

January 23, 2009

JONESBOROUGH -- Volunteer coach Todd Whittemore experienced two firsts Friday night, while his Falcon teams kept David Crockett from another first.

Despite having seven players ejected from the game -- a record under

Whittemore -- his team won the game, 73-63, because of another first: They hit 41 of 57 free throws.

"That's got to be a first in my time,'' said Whittemore. "That's a lot.''

The fact the Falcons made as many as they did kept Crockett (0-10) from winning its first game of the Big 9 season.

Emotions spilled over with 36 seconds left in the first half when Crockett's Sam Tarlton and Volunteer's Cameron Trent traded blows.

Instinctively, all but two players off the Volunteer bench charged onto the court as fights broke out.

Tarlton and Trent were ejected, along with Wade Cole and Joe Ganger for Crockett as well as Volunteer's Trent and six of the eight players who charged off the bench. Two players were allowed to return after Whittemore went back and looked at the film to confirm what he thought -- that two players had stayed put.

"It was unfortunate,'' said Whittemore, whose team snapped a four-game losing streak and gave him win No. 201. "It happened right in front of us and I think our kids were trying to defend their teammate. But I knew not everyone had gone onto the court, so I looked at it and told the officials that. They don't look at film, but they got together and let us have two players back. They just chose them at random. It wasn't the same two, but it worked out pretty good for us.''

That left Volunteer -- ahead 37-22 when the fight broke out -- with six players. On the floor at the time were Cody Moore, Ethan Pearcy, Jordan Seals and Aaron Bennett. The players allowed to return were Christian Green and R.J. Williams.

The other varsity players face a two-game suspension, which means they can't play Saturday night against Sullivan South at home or next Tuesday at home against Tennessee High.

"I have to check with my athletic director (Jim Whalen) to find out exactly what the rule is because it has changed from time to time,'' said Whittemore. "But if we have to go with just the six varsity players for the next game or two, we will. We'll bring up enough junior varsity players to fill out the number of uniforms we have,'' said Whittemore.

"The last time we played, we were ahead by a point or two with about 20 seconds left and they hit a last-second shot to beat us. That was an emotional game and this one was too,'' said said Crockett coach Jamie Freeman, saying the emotions carried over. "It's like a rivalry game. Our kids played hard, but give them credit. They made the free throws. We had no choice to foul them to try to get back into the game, but them made them.''

"Fortunately,'' said Whittemore, "we made more than our customary 50 percent.''

Especially Ethan Pearcy. He made 12-of-12 on the night -- including 10 of 10 in the final quarter. He finished with 16 points. Jordan Seals hit 10 of 12 and also had 16 points, while Christian Green made 7 of 10 and finished with nine points. Bennett scored 19 points, while making just 7 of his 13 tries. Cody Moore mad 5 of 8 and had 7 points. Volunteer made just 15 field goals in the game and had just 32 points from the field to go with 41 from the foul line.

Volunteer led 39-24 at the half and was still ahead after three quarters,l 48-34. Clint Freeman got the hot hand for Crockett, however, and kept the Pioneers in the game by scoring 21 of his 23 points in the second half. Two Freeman free throws with 48.7 seconds left got Crockett within seven at 68-61, but Volunteer made five of its last six foul shots to seal the deal.

"We went on the road and faced adversity,'' said Whittemore. "But we were able to win and I am proud of my kids.''

What a bunch of Rednecks. Why don't you hayseeds get together and go Deer Huntin'. No wonder the "big 9" can't compete. TH, SH, & DB needs to join another conference. This deal is a big joke. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

That's not a bad idea. I don't Deer Hunt though. I'm not from around here.

On a basketball note. I don't know much about IMAC basketball. Does anyone know how Morristown East, Greeneville and Cocke Co. match up with the big 3, SH, DB and TH?

What a bunch of GOONS!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> This Volunteer program under Whitmore continues to be a problem year after year and I think it's about time for someone to take action on getting them removed from the Big 9!!!!! There was another team that couldn't win games without back yard redneck antics back in the 80s and they were removed from the conference as well...and have never been allowed back...that was Erwin (Unicoi). In Whitmore's interview he doesn't even comment on how wrong and embarrassing the action of his (and Crockets) players were. As a matter of face he said "We went on the road and faced adversity,'' said Whittemore. "But we were able to win and I am proud of my kids.'' WHAT....PROUD OF YOUR KIDS??!!!!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> He shows his hand in that comment...WIN...by any means necessary. This guy is out of control....basically a BIG KID leading high school kids. I don't see why the parents of these players don't see the writing on the wall and have him removed. I say kick them out...we don't need a goon squad in the Big 9 and as long as Whitmore is coaching, that is all the Volunteer program will be. By the way...I saw the clip on the news last night and if 15 seconds of video is worth a thousand words...the message would be, OUT OF CONTROL GOON SQAUD!!! /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />

One more thing...we have all had to deal with the poor officiating in this area so that is no excuse for resulting to blows out on the court. I will agree though that somethings got to give with the inconsistency of these officials...they seem to have adapted this "lets keep it close" philosophy. Who were the officials of last nights game?

What a bunch of GOONS!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> This Volunteer program under Whitmore continues to be a problem year after year and I think it's about time for someone to take action on getting them removed from the Big 9!!!!! There was another team that couldn't win games without back yard redneck antics back in the 80s and they were removed from the conference as well...and have never been allowed back...that was Erwin (Unicoi). In Whitmore's interview he doesn't even comment on how wrong and embarrassing the action of his (and Crockets) players were. As a matter of face he said "We went on the road and faced adversity,'' said Whittemore. "But we were able to win and I am proud of my kids.'' WHAT....PROUD OF YOUR KIDS??!!!!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> He shows his hand in that comment...WIN...by any means necessary. This guy is out of control....basically a BIG KID leading high school kids. I don't see why the parents of these players don't see the writing on the wall and have him removed. I say kick them out...we don't need a goon squad in the Big 9 and as long as Whitmore is coaching, that is all the Volunteer program will be. By the way...I saw the clip on the news last night and if 15 seconds of video is worth a thousand words...the message would be, OUT OF CONTROL GOON SQAUD!!! /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />

One more thing...we have all had to deal with the poor officiating in this area so that is no excuse for resulting to blows out on the court. I will agree though that somethings got to give with the inconsistency of these officials...they seem to have adapted this "lets keep it close" philosophy. Who were the officials of last nights game?

Like I said last night if you werent there you have no horse in this race. So Cap stop calling names you have no clue as to what happened. We have tape of Crockett throwing the first punch. Do you expext the recipient of that punch to take it and say thank you for putting me in my place? If so you are the biggest wuss I have ever come up upon. The team getting off the bench was wrong but they were defending their "teammate" as they should have. I challenge any player out there to tell me they would of sat there and let there player take that beating. Turning the other cheek just aint gonna happen in high school sports. Not once did you happen to mention that Crocketts coach had already gotten a technical and they had a fan thrown out. No with you Cap its always dogging Coach Whitt and the Falcon program. We are so sick and tired of your ignorant comments on this thread. I would NEVER get on here and talk about other programs as you have ours. Like I said you werent there so please keep your ignorant comments to yourself.