big 9 basketball

unc1

Well it looks like Dobyns Bennett is back in business blowing out their last three opponents by a combined 118 points. Yes thats just a shade under 40 points per game. Good to see this DB team blow out teams that they should instead of "playing down to their competition". Jordan Edwards is continuing to control the paint. And Ashlon Adams seems to be meshing very well with this Charlie Morgan system. He is dominating the inside while hitting a few outside shots each game. And Todd Halvorsen's shot is really coming alive as he is averaging three 3-pointers in his last 4 games. Dustin McConnell is continueing to shoot the rock well. And Justin Sylvester is finishing at the rim. Still waiting for his long range shot to come along. They are going into a 2-3 zone each game.. anyone know if they are using this for use in the Science Hill game. The Toppers have continued to struggle against a good zone (note: 2 points win over Central-zone, loss to Tenn High-zone, 6 point win over East-zone) I think this Indians team is finally coming alive and are the team to beat in the Big 9. I believe that if DB wins out then they will win the conference. They wont have any problems with Tenn. High, as they dominated them in the first bout and DB shot very poorly against the zone of Tenn High. And I believe that the Indians will prevail in the final regular season battle with Science Hill (hopefully get two more exciting games between the two in the post-season as both the district and region tournament are at the Dobyns Bennett Dome) look for the zone in that game as well. If DB were to lose to either one of those teams then that team will be the one that goes on to win the conference. Charlie Morgan has his team exactly where he wants them... starting to gel at the right time.. and eventually peak at the right time. Every year people complain about Morgan coached teams in the regular season (except last yr.) and how they arent going to be very good and wont be able to go very far. But every yr at tournament time he has them going deep into the post-season. So I will keep my faith with him and that he will do the same thing with this team. Peaking at the right time is OH SO key in all sports. ESPECIALLY basketball since it is such a long season. And I would like to say to all you Na-sayers about how the Big 9 is not very good this yr... I believe it is a strong conference in the top 3. Tenn High took Miller Grove, GA to the wire and had a chance to win, Miller Grove went on to lose to Bearden in a game that GA was leading most of the game. Science Hill had Briarcrest with their backs against the wall late in the battle with them. And DB lead against Benedictine Ohio the entire game except for about 5 minutes. I understand that all these are losses.. but Miller Grove is a top 5 team in GA, Briarcrest is a top 5 team in ALL divisions in Tennessee, and Benedictine is the number 1 team in Ohio. And to add to this, there have been many teams to compete very well with these three teams. I understand that you cant play the game of "we beat you so and you beat them so we could beat them too" game. But it is a good judgement of Big 9 teams playing against very good competition and competing very well. Think what you want.. but i believe this is a better conference than it is given credit for. Should be a very exciting end to the season so lets fasten our seatbelts and enjoy it!

As for the middle school tourney, what were the seedings and how has the tourney went so far?

Robinson beat Sevier today by a few points. Robinson has a better team.. while Sevier has a few more players that will be better varsity players in a few yrs. Swafford being one. And you people that say nobody cares about the middle school games well apparently a couple do.. Noticed that a couple of DB players came to see their former schools face off with Todd Halvorsen and Dustin McConnell in attendance. Morgan might be scouting to see what he'll have to work with in a few yrs. Cause its not going to be pretty after this yr for a yr or two.. thats for sure.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Middle 8 Conference Standings

Team, Conference Record

Science Hill, 14-0

T.A. Dugger, 8-6

Colonial Heights, 8-6

Ross N. Robinson, 7-7

John Sevier, 7-7

Church Hill, 5-9

Vance, 5-9

Unicoi Co., 2-12

-----------------------------

Middle 8 Conference Tournament

John Sevier Middle School - Kingsport, TN

Saturday, January 24

11:15 am - #1 Science Hill 67, #8 Unicoi Co. 12

1:45 pm - #4 Ross N. Robinson 53, #5 John Sevier 50

4:15 pm - #3 Colonial Heights (8-6) vs. #6 Church Hill (5-9)

6:45 pm - #2 T.A. Dugger (8-6) vs. #7 Vance (5-9)

Tuesday, January 27

4:30 pm - #1 Science Hill vs. #4 Ross N. Robinson

6:00 pm - TBD

I attended the earlier games in the day, both girls and boys, but left after the Robinson and Sevier boys game.

What a bunch of Rednecks. Why don't you hayseeds get together and go Deer Huntin'. No wonder the "big 9" can't compete. TH, SH, & DB needs to join another conference. This deal is a big joke. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Your a joke. Obviously you don't know much besides what you hear on the radio. Cameron Trent from what I know seems to be a class act. I don't know much else from the Volunteer players but Cameron is a great guy. What makes these three teams you mentioned so great?

On Centrals loss, they are missing Mickey Brown. You probably wouldn't know that because I'm pretty sure you don't go to many games. They haven't been the same team since he was hurt. DB was very prepared. If you would watch closely, DB and Science Hill have stole Centrals offense. In fact, they might know it better than Central does. Central is going to have to find a way to adjust to this. Pretty classy how DB kept pressing in the 4th, as well. I would say Central would use that as motivation but with Mick being out its going to be tough. Soak up this year, Waco. I'm sure we won't see much of you next year. Or we will have to hear your expert opinions about how DB needs a new coach.

Hmmm, Volunteer at Crockett. Well, I wasnt there but sure feel like I was. One conclusion I have come to... Stokomo is making sense here. Both programs and communities took a black eye on this one.

I do find it funny to see who is sitting on the edge of their keyboard here, just loving the opportunity to down Volunteer. Down their coach and style of play if you must, hey its a free board. Rules are in place, they were broken, and the penalties were inforced. Kids from both Crockett and Volunteer will be watching the next two games. Personally, I won't defend Coach Whitt, ever. I seriously doubt he cares what we think anyway. But, I do want one thing to be said. Who of us can blame a kid, Trent, for defending himself/fighting back/what ever you deem it? He's a good kid with college ball potential. His parents are good people and they have been raising him right. In the heat of a tough game, in an already hostile enviroment, do you think all of your Vikes and Indians, or any other team player, would have just took it and "allowed the refs to do their jobs". Come on. That kind of control is seldom seen. Honestly put your players in the situation of being punched in this exact situation. What do you really think most other kids would do? Now I know there would be a few that might have the control, maybe Sly from DB or Bailee Dick from South. But 95% wouldn't stand there and count on the same refs who were not controlling the games all night.

Dont crucify the kids. It could have been worse. There could have been players rolling in the lane during free throws ... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Your a joke. Obviously you don't know much besides what you hear on the radio. Cameron Trent from what I know seems to be a class act. I don't know much else from the Volunteer players but Cameron is a great guy. What makes these three teams you mentioned so great?

On Centrals loss, they are missing Mickey Brown. You probably wouldn't know that because I'm pretty sure you don't go to many games. They haven't been the same team since he was hurt. DB was very prepared. If you would watch closely, DB and Science Hill have stole Centrals offense. In fact, they might know it better than Central does. Central is going to have to find a way to adjust to this. Pretty classy how DB kept pressing in the 4th, as well. I would say Central would use that as motivation but with Mick being out its going to be tough. Soak up this year, Waco. I'm sure we won't see much of you next year. Or we will have to hear your expert opinions about how DB needs a new coach.

Is that your best excuse? Thats weak, sounds like a baby crying in the background. And how many years in a row can you losers use that ole' saying "Just wait till' next year" Don't that ever get old with you?

CAP1 & WACO......neither cared to read my post. Please tell me where you find that I was sticking up for Whitt? I never said it wasn't wrong or embarassing. I ONLY said you were being biased and on both accounts THIS YEAR that has had problems in a game...neither were invoked by Volunteer and it just happened to be the same team on both accounts. Where's the "oh look at Crockett's program...this is the second incident this year with them?" I said it was embarassing for BOTH teams, you chose to report only on Volunteer and scold Trent for retaliating of which he is wrong. BUT!!! What about the first blow? You never scolded anyone on Crockett's side for that did you? Both should be scolded for representing the Big Nine and all of East TN like that. It does put another "black eye" on the Volunteer program because many will write it off as Volunteer's doing "it" again. I am speaking about this year. The past will rear its ugly head when something like this happens. You have to deal with it and move on. I never said you were wrong for scolding Volunteer did I, so where was the defending? As for WACO....I really expected you to get on here along with Floor Genereal (surprised he's not weighted in yet). How long has it been since your last post in the Big Nine thread WACO? You may say I am defending Whitt; you are wrong. Crockett fans said they felt they are getting the wrong end of officiating because of there "lack of success" in recent years. I will agree with that statement, because the refs tend to let play happen with the "top dogs." But TWO teams were at fault last night, not one. Both TN High and DB fans said nothing of the games that were played against Volunteer not even how they gave them a good competitive game, but now are ready to jump to judgement and say it was their fault this whole thing started. In years past probably, but this year it is not. GOD Bless and again please forgive those from last night's embarassment.

I can't remember posting one of your quote's or even mentioning your name during this discusion. If you can find it please point it out to me. Thanks, and GOD BLESS.

I can't remember posting one of your quote's or even mentioning your name during this discusion. If you can find it please point it out to me. Thanks, and GOD BLESS.

You are 100% correct. I thought when you quoted the CAP1 "dogging" you were referring to my post, but I see it was itsock.... my bad......

CAP1, for your information, Trent was addressed by his father as you eluded to. I don't like putting personal matters on here, but you insist on speaking about things you are ASSUMING. Did you think that he doesn't have parents that are concerned about him and keep him in check? I can tell you from first hand experience that Cameron is a great kid with a great set of parents. Anyway....as I said in my previous post, please let me know when you find the quote (or in my entire post) where I defended what happened. It was embarassing for both sides. That's exactly what I said. GOD Bless......

Final Middle 8 Conference Standings

Team, Conference Record

Science Hill, 14-0

T.A. Dugger, 8-6

Colonial Heights, 8-6

Ross N. Robinson, 7-7

John Sevier, 7-7

Church Hill, 5-9

Vance, 5-9

Unicoi Co., 2-12

Middle 8 Conference Tournament

John Sevier Middle School - Kingsport, TN

Saturday, January 24

4:15 pm - #3 Colonial Heights (8-6) vs. #6 Church Hill (5-9)

6:45 pm - #2 T.A. Dugger (8-6) vs. #7 Vance (5-9)

Tuesday, January 27

4:30 pm - #1 Science Hill vs. #4 Ross N. Robinson

6:00 pm - TBD

I attended the earlier games in the day, both girls and boys, but left after the Robinson and Sevier boys game.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update.

Sadly Volman, tricitiessports.com nor the Kingsport Times News even printed scores from yesterdays games in their own back yard. I suppose there were other pressing matters going on in sports yesterday, meaning every sports writer in the area was drawn into Memphis @ Tennessee, rightfully so.

crawdad, did you attend the Middle 8 afternoon games?

Region 1 Scoreboard ??“ Week of Monday, Jan. 19-Saturday, Jan. 24

Monday, January 19

Sullivan Central @ John Battle, VA ??“ PPD

Jefferson Co. @ South Doyle ??“ PPD

---------

NCAA ??“ ETSU 87, Belmont 57

Tuesday, January 20

Tennessee High 73, Sullivan East 63

---------

Grainger Co. 61, Cocke Co 59

Morristown East @ Hancock Co. ??“ PPD

Wednesday, January 21

Dobyns Bennett 82, David Crockett 39

Science Hill 88, Volunteer 54

Daniel Boone 52, Sullivan South 34

---------

NAIA ??“ King 80, Union 69

Thursday, January 22

Morristown West 50, West Greene 38

---------

NCAA ??“ ETSU 79, Campbell 60

Friday, January 23

Tennessee High 56, Daniel Boone 55

Dobyns Bennett 88, Sullivan Central 49

Sullivan East 84, Sullivan South 77

Volunteer 73, David Crockett 63

---------

Morristown East 70, Cocke Co. 58

Greeneville 53, Morristown West 42

Cherokee over Jefferson Co.

Saturday, January 24

Sullivan South 64, Volunteer 47

---------

NCAA ??“ Memphis 54, Tennessee 52

Middle School ??“ Middle 8 Conference Tournament @ John Sevier in Kingsport

4:15 pm - #3 Colonial Heights (8-6) vs. #6 Church Hill (5-9) - ?

6:45 pm - #2 T.A. Dugger (8-6) vs. #7 Vance (5-9) - ?

Current Big 9 Conference Standings ??“ As of 1/24

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Tennessee High, 10-1 (16-7)

Science Hill, 9-1 (17-4)

Dobyns Bennett, 9-2 (17-4)

Sullivan East, 6-5 (12-8)

Sullivan Central, 4-6 (12-9)

Sullivan South, 4-7 (12-11)

Volunteer, 3-8 (7-14)

Daniel Boone, 3-8 (9-12)

David Crockett, 0-10 (4-15)

Current Inter-Mountain Athletic Conference Standings ??“ As of 1/24

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Morristown East, 7-0 (16-5)

Cocke Co., 5-2 (10-7)

Greeneville, 5-2 (16-8)

Cherokee, 3-4 (8-10)

Morristown West, 1-6 (9-11)

Jefferson Co., 0-7 (2-15)

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 38-9

So right on you are.DB looked and played as a team tonight.Central beating them earlier in the year was a fluke.Coach Vaughn never did have an answer for DB's defense.All Central has got is 3 point shooters and they must have stayed at Hightops house and listened to the game on the radio tonight.

DB did look good Fri night but to say all Central has is 3 pt shooters is totally wrong. They have 2 and neither shot well Fri but they also have 2 good posts, one that leads them in scoring or 2nd most of the games and the other contributes alot as well. After losing to Central the 1st game the Cougars couldn't have expected the Indians to come out slow and they didn't. AA had a great game & Edwards was a force inside. No excuses though the Indians are the better team.

Sadly Volman, tricitiessports.com nor the Kingsport Times News even printed scores from yesterdays games in their own back yard. I suppose there were other pressing matters going on in sports yesterday, meaning every sports writer in the area was drawn into Memphis @ Tennessee, rightfully so.

crawdad, did you attend the Middle 8 afternoon games?

Both Charger teams came back from big deficits to win. The boys trailed Church Hill 20-10 at the half. Won 39-30 to advance to semis and next weeks area tourney. I've heard Dugger beat Vance in the nightcap by a considerable margin but have not confirmed.