big 9 basketball

unc1

You??™re pretty much right. When talking to the coaches from John Sevier, currently in 2nd place, they told me Science Hill is head and shoulders above the rest of the conference. As to be expected though, the 8th grade team is pooled from the whole city, as is Vance in Bristol. I've yet to figure out if having two or more middle or K-8 schools feeding into a high school is detrimental to maximizing team potential in high school (ex. Robinson/Sevier, Holston/Blountville). Thoughts?

In some cases you'd be correct. But, in this case, you could put all the other 7 schools from the Middle 8 together and still not compete with the Toppers.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some cases you'd be correct. But, in this case, you could put all the other 7 schools from the Middle 8 together and still not compete with the Toppers.

/wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> Are you kidding me? The Toppers are good maybe even great but there are plenty of players in the league that can play. How many middle school games have you seen this year Volman? Last years squad felt vastly superior also only to leave Sevier's gym sniffling over a loss to the Chargers. They should have never lost but that's why we play the games. I've seen plenty of talented, superior teams get tight about winning when faced with the slightest adversity. Not saying that will happen again this year,but shouldn't have happened last.

Update!

Trophy has been mailed to Science Hill. All other teams are playing for second place! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

As a knowledgeable basketball fan you of all should understand tourney brackets Volman. In a single elimination tournament, only the bottom half of the bracket could compete for 2nd place. Thus only 4 teams, seeds 2,3,6,and 7 would be vying for the honor of losing to the "proclaimed champion" Toppers. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> Not "all others" as you stated. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The fact that Kingsport doesn't have a place where kids can go play ball is pretty unbelieveable. The height of basketball interest is in the winter, during the season, when outdoor courts are rendered useless. The Y is the only place, and I've heard that it's pretty terrible. And I've heard there's a place in Elizabethton, which is too far for Kingsport/Colonial Heights people. Who's runnin' this town?!

rebelrebelman, below is the article that I mentioned I would try to find that detailed a study, commissioned by the Kingsport Convention and Visitors Bureau, that reviewed the city??™s gymnasium and ball field inventory and determined if additional facilities were needed for future sports tournaments and general community use. The link provided below will take you to the article on the Kingsport Times News website, which has comments at the bottom I think you might find interesting.

Consultant recommends Kingsport expand sports facilities and skate park

from the Kingsport Times-News:

Consultant recommends Kingsport expand sports facilities and skate park

By Matthew Lane

Published December 27th, 2008

KINGSPORT ??” A nationally known sporting consultant is recommending Kingsport enhance and build additional ball fields, construct an indoor multi-purpose court facility, and expand the Scott Adams Skate Park.

Once done, the consultant said Kingsport could reach and perhaps exceed an economic impact of $15 million a year ??” more than double the current amount.

Earlier this year, Kingsport and the Kingsport Convention and Visitors Bureau contracted with Don Schumacher, president of Sports Marketing Management and Consulting, to review the city??™s gymnasium and ball field inventory and determine if additional facilities are needed for future sports tournaments.

The KCVB has 16 youth sports events scheduled for next year with AAU, USSSA, NAIA and a couple of new organizations. The sports include baseball, wrestling, golf, girls fast-pitch softball, basketball and soccer.

Kingsport is also planning some home-grown events such as a horseshoe tournament and two band competitions.

Schumacher is a leading consultant in the sports management industry and is the same one who conducted a similar study for Kingsport back in 1999, which resulted in an expanded Domtar Park and the creation of Eastman Park in Sullivan Gardens.

In order to craft his report, Schumacher visited more than 30 fields, pools and facilities back in June, including a number of schools, the Civic Auditorium, Eastman and Domtar parks, the new Boys and Girls Club, the V.O. Dobbins Community Center, and the old Sam??™s Club property.

Schumacher completed the report back in November and presented it to the city earlier this month. The 35-page report includes five major recommendations:

???The completion of Domtar Park and Eastman Park at Horse Creek.

???The addition of a new park with at least five ball fields.

???An indoor multi-purpose court facility.

???Co-locating the proposed aquatic center with the YMCA at the Meadowview site.

???Expansion of the Scott Adams Skate Park.

Schumacher is recommending the completion of Domtar Park (at an estimated cost of $2.4 million), which would include the addition of a playground, zero-depth water feature/spray pad, picnic shelters, and better conditions for competition (bleachers, shade covers, public address system and additional parking).

???The result will be an even more outstanding, appealing and usable facility than it is already,??? Schumacher wrote.

The improvements to Eastman Park (at a cost of $2.7 million) include adding lights to the remaining three fields, spectator seating, restrooms, picnic shelters and additional parking and landscaping.

???The result will be a first-rate competition venue,??? he wrote.

Schumacher recommends an additional five to eight diamond complex, which could double the size of youth baseball, baseball and softball tournaments for Kingsport. The site Schumacher recommends for this new diamond complex is the YMCA property located behind the Kmart Supercenter ??” the site where the YMCA originally planned to build its new facility.

In regard to gymnasiums, Schumacher recommends a new indoor facility, with eight to 10 courts, about 100,000 square feet, and a cost in the range of $12 million. Such a facility would work well for basketball, volleyball, wrestling, martial arts, cheerleading, dance and dodgeball.

Schumacher wrote a new building would be ideal but noted a building such as the old Sam??™s Club building off Interstate 81 could serve as such a facility as well.

Judd Teague, executive director of the KCVB, said the idea of using Sam??™s Club in this capacity has been ???thrown out to people,??? but there??™s nothing concrete about the idea. Teague added a tournament event operator contacted him this week about the old Sam??™s Club building.

Schumacher wrote the Scott Adams Skate Park should be expanded with new rail and street features and lights, and with those improvements the park could become a magnet for local skateboarders and provide an opportunity for competitions.

According to the report, the KCVB hosts events that deliver about $7 million in economic impact to the city annually.

If Schumacher??™s recommendations are followed through with, the report states that economic impact could exceed $15 million a year, more than double the present results.

Teague said he was pleased with the report.

???I think what we??™ll do is go ahead and look at the recommendations, and hopefully we can put some type of five-, 10- or 15-year game plan to expand upon the report,??? Teague said, adding the KCVB would look at the Visitor Enhancement Fund as a funding source.

The Board of Mayor and Aldermen established the VEP last year to fund a variety of tourism-related projects, with the funding coming from a recently approved 2 percent increase to the city??™s hotel/motel tax.

???I think (Schumacher??™s) pretty much right on line. I don??™t know if we need another Domtar Park like he phrased it, but four or five fields of that caliber. I think that would be a great fit for us,??? said Teague.

/wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> Are you kidding me? The Toppers are good maybe even great but there are plenty of players in the league that can play. How many middle school games have you seen this year Volman? Last years squad felt vastly superior also only to leave Sevier's gym sniffling over a loss to the Chargers. They should have never lost but that's why we play the games. I've seen plenty of talented, superior teams get tight about winning when faced with the slightest adversity. Not saying that will happen again this year,but shouldn't have happened last.

I've only seen 2 middle school games this year so I'll give you the benefit of doubt. I get the whole "anything can happen" stuff, but IMO, from what I've seen and heard, it'll take a miracle for the Toppers to lose this season.

Tricitiessportsfan, thanks for digging up that article. Sounds pretty promising but it also sounds long term. I'll be broken down by the time they get all this stuff together. When I said I was apalled that the kids didn't have a gym to go play ball, I basically meant me. I don't even like kids. I was hoping Kinsport would operate more in that 6 month range.

I've only seen 2 middle school games this year so I'll give you the benefit of doubt. I get the whole "anything can happen" stuff, but IMO, from what I've seen and heard, it'll take a miracle for the Toppers to lose this season.

Agreed. However stating that an all-star team from the other 7 teams could not "compete" was way off. In line with TCSF's question about feeder schools and Science Hill's middle school enrollment, I would suggest that if Kingsport was set up in similar fashion ,that a team of Sevier/Robinson/Colonial Heights' best would not only compete, but beat this Topper squad.

They play at Col. Hgts. Tues. at 6:00. Come check it out. I'll buy the pop and /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> .

Agreed. However stating that an all-star team from the other 7 teams could not "compete" was way off. In line with TCSF's question about feeder schools and Science Hill's middle school enrollment, I would suggest that if Kingsport was set up in similar fashion ,that a team of Sevier/Robinson/Colonial Heights' best would not only compete, but beat this Topper squad.

They play at Col. Hgts. Tues. at 6:00. Come check it out. I'll buy the pop and /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> .

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I won't be able to make the game tomorrow night. But, as bad as I hate too, I'll give you mine and your Chargers +40. Bet? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I won't be able to make the game tomorrow night. But, as bad as I hate too, I'll give you mine and your Chargers +40. Bet? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

That's generous. Good to go.

Region 1 Scoreboard - Week of Monday, Jan. 19-Saturday, Jan. 24

Monday, January 19

Science Hill @ Cherokee - PPD

Sullivan Central @ John Battle, VA - PPD

Jefferson Co. @ South Doyle

---------

NCAA - ETSU 87, Belmont 57

Tuesday, January 20

Tennessee High @ Sullivan East

Dobyns Bennett @ David Crockett

Volunteer @ Science Hill

Sullivan South @ Daniel Boone

---------

Morristown East @ Hancock Co.

Grainger Co. @ Cocke Co.

West Greene @ Morristown West

Wednesday, January 21

No games scheduled

---------

NAIA - Union @ King

Thursday, January 22

No games scheduled

---------

NCAA - Campbell @ ETSU

Friday, January 23

Daniel Boone @ Tennessee High

Sullivan Central @ Dobyns Bennett

Sullivan South @ Sullivan East

Volunteer @ David Crockett

---------

Cocke Co. @ Morristown East

Greeneville @ Morristown West

Cherokee @ Jefferson Co.

Saturday, January 24

Sullivan South @ Volunteer

Science Hill @ Cherokee

---------

Middle School - Middle 8 Conference Tournament @ John Sevier in Kingsport

-----------------------------

Current Big 9 Conference Standings - As of 1/18

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Tennessee High, 8-1 (14-7)

Science Hill, 8-1 (16-4)

Dobyns Bennett, 7-2 (15-4)

Sullivan East, 5-4 (11-7)

Sullivan Central, 4-5 (12-8)

Sullivan South, 3-5 (11-9)

Volunteer, 2-6 (6-12)

Daniel Boone, 2-7 (8-11)

David Crockett, 0-8 (4-13)

Current Inter-Mountain Athletic Conference - As of 1/18

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Morristown East, 6-0 (15-5)

Cocke Co., 5-1 (10-5)

Greeneville, 4-2 (15-8)

Cherokee, 2-4 (7-10)

Morristown West, 1-5 (8-10)

Jefferson Co., 0-6 (2-14)

-----------------------------

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Tuesday, January 20

Tennessee High over Sullivan East

Dobyns Bennett over David Crockett

Science Hill over Volunteer

Sullivan South over Daniel Boone

Friday, January 23

Tennessee High over Daniel Boone

Dobyns Bennett over Sullivan Central

Sullivan East over Sullivan South

Volunteer over David Crockett

Saturday, January 24

Sullivan South over Volunteer

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 30-8

i will have to go with east over tn high at the palace after a boone loss and boone over south after finally winning a close game against east, any comments cap1 or rebelman and these picks? also haven't heard anything from the cougar fans still out there i guess?

i will have to go with east over tn high at the palace after a boone loss and boone over south after finally winning a close game against east, any comments cap1 or rebelman and these picks? also haven't heard anything from the cougar fans still out there i guess?

unc1, love your input, but use punctuation! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

crawdad, give me your impressions and opinions of Colonial Heights and Science Hill, the game and the teams, when you get home later tonight, if you would.

I'm currently at the John Sevier @ Ross N. Robinson game, will do likewise for you. Maybe we can give Volman something to talk about. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />