big 9 basketball

unc1

This thread has sorta died since the tournaments started. Where did everyone go. I really enjoyed reading everyones points of view throughout the year. Does the IMAC get any respect now with East making the finals. I think most people looked for a Big 9 first round sweep, and definitely an all Big 9 final (and there is good reason for that). Just trying to drum up some interest.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To TN High, more specifically CAPPY.......it's been a pleasure swapping intellects and what have you's. This is round two (boys) and the last for you my friend. I hope that you will continue to frequent these boards in the future. If you are serious about AAU next year, look me up. GOD Bless you & yours!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words Stoke. Yep??¦that??™s it for the ol??™ maroon and white for me for awhile. It??™s been REAL??¦real good, and at times REAL bad. I can honestly say that most of the bad has come from PARENT interference and influence. I haven??™t had a chance to really sit down and reflect on the last four years of high school competition with Corey, but I remember the ???debriefing??? with Shaud. Believe it or not his worst memories came form OUR OWN FANS yelling at him on the court. Mostly ???pass the ball??? but unfortunately it sometime didn??™t stop at that. The other top bad memory would be Science Hill??™s student section and their ???Shaud??¦let me see your grill??? chant /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . That one really got under his skin??¦and cost me ALLOT of money!

About the game the other night??¦I had to go home and pray about it because the things I was going to post about our team and players??¦well??¦lets just say I would have had to fall in line with some of these wacky republicans and bought me a hand gun for protection before Obama ???takes them from us??? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> !! I maintain the fact that we should have had no problem winning this game against Mo East. On paper and on the court the matchup shouldn??™t have been close. I feel that the preparation for this game was very poor and the Vikings looked down on the other end of the court during warm ups and sized these guys up in comparison to most of the other teams we have played, and simply underestimated this hungry group of players. We let in all reality, two players keep us from the championship game??¦a streaky shooter that has allot of confidence and was ON FIRE against us. And a young point guard that is ???right hand strong??? and determined to get to the basket. I will stop there and just say that this was the one we overlooked. Unfortunately for us this one was the most important. Mo East was worn out and didn??™t seem to be in real good game shape and that is a BIG red flag when it comes down to playing The Hill. Unlike THS Science Hill has more then Tyler Place and Corey Young that are up to the challenge of guarding the other team??™s hot hand /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> . I HAD TO GET THAT ONE IN??¦BECAUSE THAT IN FACT IS WHAT (among other things) COST US THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> THE ONES THAT WERE EQUIPT TOO, AND SHOULD HAVE STEPPED UP DIDN??™T. Witcher couldn??™t risk putting Corey on him with 3 fouls, and while Tyler was able to keep up with Austin Gardner he simple couldn??™t contest his shot like a TALLER player (with longer arms) would have been able to do.

East has a ???Lotto??? chance to win the game tonight. I will go out on the limb and say the Hill by 30+ ??¦ and that??™s with the bench getting allot of PT. Good luck to both teams especially my boys from The Hill. Congrats to Mo East for a tremendous win that you guys earned!!! I have a feeling these next two games are going to be a real trial for the ego as last night was for the Lady Vikings!! Good luck though. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

COngrats to Science Hill on their Regional Championship. They avoided the buzz saw in Bearden that beat the brakes off Oak Ridge 93-43 if the coacht board is correct!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> The brackets for these teams are as follows:

Oak Ridge at Science Hill

Morristown East at Knox Bearden

Baseball season starts Monday, but I'm not quite ready to let go of basketball season. On the girls side, local teams represented nicely on Saturday, with 4 of 6 Region 1 teams advancing to State. I have a good feeling that Science Hill will advance by dispatching Oak Ridge in the Palace, however it is almost a fact that Morristown East will get massacred at Bearden. I feel Knox Carter at Union Co. is a push, while Unicoi Co. will come up short at Knox Fulton. I think Knox Grace will be too much for University High, with Cloudland and Rockwood going to the boys from Roane County. Going 1-5 in sectional games is likely on the boys side for local teams, hope I'm wrong.

Here's a Dobyns Bennett fan from Kingsport pulling for the 'Toppers. I'll be making the trip and spending my money at your school tomorrow night, please use it to turn on the air!

Baseball season starts Monday, but I'm not quite ready to let go of basketball season. On the girls side, local teams represented nicely on Saturday, with 4 of 6 Region 1 teams advancing to State. I have a good feeling that Science Hill will advance by dispatching Oak Ridge in the Palace, however it is almost a fact that Morristown East will get massacred at Bearden. I feel Knox Carter at Union Co. is a push, while Unicoi Co. will come up short at Knox Fulton. I think Knox Grace will be too much for University High, with Cloudland and Rockwood going to the boys from Roane County. Going 1-5 in sectional games is likely on the boys side for local teams, hope I'm wrong.

Here's a Dobyns Bennett fan from Kingsport pulling for the 'Toppers. I'll be making the trip and spending my money at your school tomorrow night, please use it to turn on the air!

My son played in a basketball tournament at the Palace this weekend. Let me say it was hot. We all know that if the Palace is full Monday it will be really hot. There is no air conditioning in the Palace. I would like to be there Monday, but my son will be playing freshman and JV baseball against Tennessee High.

Thought Morristown East faught hard all night against Science Hill. Kept it close early and made a run in the third to get in the game. Science Hill was just a much better team in the end and East could not keep up for 4 quarters. Unfortunately this means a trip to Bearden. All I can say is good luck. Science Hill should be able to handle Oak Ridge at home. Hopefully East earned a little respect last week with their run to the championship game. They only graduate 2 and could be a force over the next couple of years.

2008-09 Big 9 Boys All-Conference Teams

Player of the Year - Josh Odem, Science Hill, SR

Sophomore of the Year - Jordan Cross, Sullivan East

Coach of the Year - Roby Witcher, Tennessee High

First Team

Koree Deeb - Sullivan East, SR

Jordan Edwards - Dobyns-Bennett, SR

Josh Odem - Science Hill, SR

Chris Smith - Science Hill, SR

Corey Young - Tennessee High, SR

Second Team

Mason Canty - Tennessee High, SR

Tyler DeVault - Sullivan Central, SR

Nick Jones - Daniel Boone, SR

Todd Halvorsen - Dobyns-Bennett, SR

Justin Sylvester - Dobyns-Bennett, SR

Third Team

Ashlon Adams - Dobyns-Bennett, SR

Tyler Ashworth - Sullivan South, SR

Aaron Bennett - Volunteer, SR

Jordan Cross - Sullivan East, SO

Larry Smith - Science Hill, SR

All-Sophomore Team

Kevin Connell - Daniel Boone

Jordan Cross - Sullivan East

Zach Garland - David Crockett

Christian Greene - Volunteer

Matt Harmon - Sullivan Central

Honorable Mention

Daniel Boone - Cody Connell, Thomas Karczmarcyk

David Crockett - Zach Garland, Chris Champbell, Wade Cole

Dobyns-Bennett - Dustin McConnell

Science Hill - Jamieson Hamilton, Detrick Hancock, Zach Jordan, Isaac Kinley

Sullivan Central - Patrick Albright, Carl Roberts, Nathan Vannoy

Sullivan East - Zane Campbell, Jeremy James

Sullivan South - Logan Blair, Bailee Dick, Tyler Moore, Dustin Sims

Tennessee High - Denzel Gilmore, Taylor Harmon, Tre' Webb

Volunteer - Cody Moore, Chris Parker, Ethan Pearcy, Jordan Seals, Cameron Trent

Not many surprises for me other than Koree Deeb on first team and Ashlon Adams and Larry Smith on third...not going to happen in real life.

I've had the pleasure of attending every one of the Big Nine Awards Banquets and I have to say that they got better every year. Coach Dyre really did a wonderful job in organizing this function and he should be commended for his efforts. Congratulations to all especially our Coach Roby Witcher. I knew he had a chance but felt like Cutlip had it locked in after beating DB twice in the regular season, and then winning the District and the Regional tournaments. I personally wouldn't have been able to (in good conscience) overlook what he has accomplished this year...and it aint over yet. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />