big 9 basketball

unc1

The coach who replaced VanHuss was Steve Shipley. I graduated with his brother Ken in 87. VanHuss didn't stop, he was forced out and died the summer before completing what was told would be his last year.

Man you're crazy. Nobody fires the winningest coach in the state and the one who would have been the winningest in the country if he had lived. I don't know what you're selling, but I"m not buying.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 1/2 agree with that TCSF.......South will get blown out early...

It's just a gut feeling. In analyzing the stats and wins/losses on the year for both teams, neither team really looks capable of blowing the other out. I hope I am able to serve you crow tonight, however, I might be chomping on the fine bird myself.

Man you're crazy. Nobody fires the winningest coach in the state and the one who would have been the winningest in the country if he had lived. I don't know what you're selling, but I"m not buying.

Did you read my post? I said he was being forced out. I know because I played for VanHuss and still was around a lot when Ryan Black and all the others were freshmen. After Ryan's freshman year, the staff told Buck that the following year would be his last. Politics played a major roll in that. If you can think back that far, guess who was VP of "THAT" company then. After Buck died, "THAT" company all of a sudden hosted the Thanksgiving tourney at DB again. The Arby's was too big for DB to bring back the Christmas tourney, so they held it during Thanksgiving weekend.

Did you read my post? I said he was being forced out. I know because I played for VanHuss and still was around a lot when Ryan Black and all the others were freshmen. After Ryan's freshman year, the staff told Buck that the following year would be his last. Politics played a major roll in that. If you can think back that far, guess who was VP of "THAT" company then. After Buck died, "THAT" company all of a sudden hosted the Thanksgiving tourney at DB again. The Arby's was too big for DB to bring back the Christmas tourney, so they held it during Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm still not buying. I remember that era well and Buck was loved by this community. Enough to name the gym after him! Enough said.

Region 1-AAA Tournament

Saturday, February 28

Quarterfinals

#1 Science Hill 66, #4 Morristown West 34

#3 Dobyns Bennett 72, #2 Jefferson Co. 39

#1 Morristown East 64, #4 Sullivan South 61

#2 Tennessee High 70, #3 Cocke Co. 59

Tuesday, March 3

6:00 pm, #1 Science Hill vs. #3 Dobyns Bennett

7:30 pm, #1 Morristown East vs. #2 Tennessee High

I'm still not buying. I remember that era well and Buck was loved by this community. Enough to name the gym after him! Enough said.

I understand that, but when you have "THAT" company wanting the VP's son starting with the FAB four, then you have what happened. You don't have to buy a thing. I was there and know what went on. And Buck was loved by all, and should have had the Dome named after him. That doesn't stop progress and what some people wanted. Buck will always be one of the best coaches to ever coach this game. I remember when he was chosen to be Assistant Coach for the US Men's Olympic Festival in 1987 with Head Coach "Lefty" Dreisel and other Assistant Coach John Kreese. There are so many memories that I have with him that some would have you in the floor laughing so hard! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I also remember the summer of my freshman year, I started with the first squad and Buck was disciplining me for making a mistake. At that time I was real young and didn't want to hear it. The head of College Officials took me to the side and told me that I should listen t EVERYTHING that Buck had to say cause as far as he was concerned, Buck was the best coach ever! That stays with me to this day. That's how much he was respected in the Country!!! Anyway...getting off on a tangent........ /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Congrats to South for making me eat crow!!! You played one heck of a game and represented your school and the Big Nine proudly!!!! Way to turn your season around!!!!!

I thought South lost ? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I thought South lost ? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I ate crow from saying it would be a blowout. South made a game of it but came upshort. Still doesn't take away from their success. My bad WACO....and just where have you been lately? /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />

I ate crow from saying it would be a blowout. South made a game of it but came upshort. Still doesn't take away from their success. My bad WACO....and just where have you been lately? /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />

Its been a very boring basketball season. No team from the big 9 is very impressive. Their only playing now for the right to be the "sacrifical lamb". Did you notice that no team was able to break out of the "big 9 thread" all year. I think that was a first. There just wasn't a team that stood out.