7-AAA 2008-2009

MidTennFootball

Who will 7-AAA  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who will 7-AAA

Oakland could have prob made state then, but they had White County and Columbia in the same region.

For those who don't know, White County played Columbia for the state championship in 1999. WC and Columbia both made the state tourney as well in 1998. White Co. won it in 98. I believe Columbia lost to Whites Creek in the tourney that year. Not positive though.

I think that would have been the case both years, as we had some great teams, just didnt have that superstar to get us over the top.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brent Jolly was a finalist twice, both as a junior and a senior. Vincent Yarborough won it his junior year, then Brent won it as a senior. There may have been others, but that is one I know about. I do know there have been some extremely talented players in this district for a lot of years. Contrary to some comments, this district had a lot of good players and teams long before Siegel was built. I'm certainly going to miss watching all these talented athletes play when the new districts take place.

Also, all district teams were named today (Can also be found here: All-District):

Coach of the Year: Randy King (Oakland)

First Team

- Kerry Hammonds (MVP) - Siegel

- Jamal Hughes - Oakland

- Judah Akers - Cookeville

- Xavier Smith - Lebanon

- Tyler Edwards - Oakland

Second Team

- Stewart Mitchell - White Co.

- Shawn Smith - Blackman

- Marc Gooch - Siegel

- Vari Craig - Riverdale

- Casey Nunley - Lebanon

Third Team

- LaVon Tate - Siegel

- Mitchell Hill - Cookeville

- Cory Johnson - White Co.

- Kyle Wylie - Cookeville

- T.J. Chesterfield - Riverdale

- Kyrie Harris - Warren Co.

Honorable Mentions

- Justin Crutchfield - Blackman

- Robert Crudup -

- Dominik Nicholas -

Good post.

Just a couple corrections.

I believe Mitchell Hill from Cookeville was actually 2nd team & Taylor Hennigan was also honorable mention.

Oakland beats Hunters Lane 57-42... They still rolling

so i did a little research into oaklands cupcake schedule. i know i always say that on here but i wanted some facts to back it up. lets compare siegel's and oakland's schedule:

Oakland

Whites Creek 6-17

Ezell-Harding 8-21

Maplewood 18-5

Clarksville NE 19-5

Overton 14-12

LaVergne 13-12

Clarksville NW 12-13

Hillsboro 15-11

Brentwood 16-8

Father Ryan 22-7 (terrible private school team)

Hunters Lane 17-6

Opponents' record: 160-117

Siegel

Alcoa 10-17

Dobins-Bennett 22-5

Science Hill 24-4

Overton 14-12

Memphis Carver 16-10

Liberty Tech 23-5

Memphis Trezvant 14-7

Shelbyville 23-4

Maplewood 18-5

Memphis Central 18-3

Smyrna 8-15 (only flaw on siegel's schedule)

opponents' record: 190-87

now who would have the tougher shot at winning 20 games? and as for anyone trying to argue that hughes should be district mvp or his stats are better than kerry's, who do you think had the better defenders guarding him every game? now do yall see how oakland wins 20 games every season???

so i did a little research into oaklands cupcake schedule. i know i always say that on here but i wanted some facts to back it up. lets compare siegel's and oakland's schedule:

Oakland

Whites Creek 6-17

Ezell-Harding 8-21

Maplewood 18-5

Clarksville NE 19-5

Overton 14-12

LaVergne 13-12

Clarksville NW 12-13

Hillsboro 15-11

Brentwood 16-8

Hunters Lane 17-6

Siegel

Alcoa 10-17

Dobins-Bennett 22-5

Science Hill 24-4

Overton 14-12

Memphis Carver 16-10

Liberty Tech 23-5

Memphis Trezvant 14-7

Shelbyville 23-4

Maplewood 18-5

Memphis Central 18-3

now who would have the tougher shot at winning 20 games? and as for anyone trying to argue that hughes should be district mvp or his stats are better than kerry's, who do you think had the better defenders guarding him every game? now do yall see how oakland wins 20 games every season???

Ive argued the schedule with you before, so I am just going to leave it at that. As for Jamal, he needed to be in the conversation for the shear fact that he averages almost 20 ppg on a team that finished 2nd in the district. He doesnt try to get his points, he merely does it within the flow of the game. He does all the little things well and has gotten almost no pub outside of what Ive said throughout the year. Hammonds deserves the MVP, but Jamal deserves a comparable amount of pub, without him, Oakland probably wouldnt be in this position to make a deep run into the postseason.

Ive argued the schedule with you before, so I am just going to leave it at that. As for Jamal, he needed to be in the conversation for the shear fact that he averages almost 20 ppg on a team that finished 2nd in the district. He doesnt try to get his points, he merely does it within the flow of the game. He does all the little things well and has gotten almost no pub outside of what Ive said throughout the year. Hammonds deserves the MVP, but Jamal deserves a comparable amount of pub, without him, Oakland probably wouldnt be in this position to make a deep run into the postseason.

When schedules are first made and then you play those teams 2,3, or 4 years down the road you don't know how good or bad the teams are gonna be. That team may be 4-25 or 25-4.

I'm guessing that if Siegel was never built "boroballer" would have went to Oakland. Hmmmmm /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

He would then prob. be one of the biggest Oakland fans on here.

post season prediction:

oakland loses to siegel in the region champ and travels to walker valley where they will find their season over.

siegel hosts red bank in the substate and wins for their 4th state tournament appearance in 5 years!!

Oakland

Whites Creek 6-17

Ezell-Harding 8-21

Maplewood 18-5

Clarksville NE 19-5

Overton 14-12

LaVergne 13-12

Clarksville NW 12-13

Hillsboro 15-11

Brentwood 16-8

Hunters Lane 17-6

Siegel

Alcoa 10-17

Dobins-Bennett 22-5

Science Hill 24-4

Overton 14-12

Memphis Carver 16-10

Liberty Tech 23-5

Memphis Trezvant 14-7

Shelbyville 23-4

Maplewood 18-5

Memphis Central 18-3

If you want to make the argument that Siegel's schedule is tougher then Oakland's this season, then I'm fine with that (and I agree with it as well). But claiming that Oakland played a "cupcake" schedule is a bit of a stretch. Could it have been tougher, sure. Did they play a load of less talented A or AA teams , no. They played one AA team in Ezell, and this year I would classify them as a cupcake.

The only other cupcake that I can see would be Whites Creek, which Oakland plays almost every year and more times then not Whites Creek is not going to be a cupcake. There were 4 other opponents that were at or around .500. I don't think you can call any of those 4 teams cupcakes. Once again were they as strong as some of Siegel's oponents, no but all 4 of them have decent programs with a respectable amount of talent and athleticism that allow them to compete at a higher level then "cupcake".

Plus, your comment about Father Ryan completely compromises the validity of your "facts". Have you seen Father Ryan play? I haven't, but I know they have a Mr basketball finalist who has signed to play at Princeton in Connolly, they just won the Middle/East Region Championship, and they have been in the Division II AP top 10 for most of the season. So I don't think that your comment of "terrible private school team" holds water.

Additionally, I think you have to add Alcoa as a "flaw" on Siegel's schedule. Plus, you forgot to include Siegel's season opening opponent Lincoln Co (5-20), which I think would also be considered a "flaw". I know it was a Hall of Fame game, but if your going to include the W in your record then you got to include the opponent when analyzing the schedule.