New Coach at Blackman

2priceless

Hendersonville has done well over the years running the wingt. We did defeat them in 98 for the state championship....but they did get there. The fact remains that the wingt can be run successfully and players can get attention from college scouts If you want to be honest, we only ran the wingt at OHS for one year, and didn't really give the players a chance to even feel comfortable with it. Our freshman last yr did amazingly well with it with Coach Bartsh. Unfortunately where Ferg went wrong was by putting a an inexperienced fellow calling the plays. ( Not a slam on Coach Cowan in any way) You need someone that can set up and develop the plays and truly understand the system, not a rookie. I think things would have been better given another yr to run it. Those sophs would have pushed everyone to be better, and the coach would have had a chance to grow with it too. Dre Frazier was a STUD running it last yr on the frosh team.Had Bartsh called the O last yr on varsity, I think you would have seen a different result. Coach B knew it like the back of his hand....of course he had the benefit of mastering his craft under Coacg Elrod at WC. We DId have the talent to have prevailed in it. Ask some of our competition and they will tell you the same thing. We didn't give it long enough. The more practice you get at anything, the better you will be. Just Don't put all the blame of our 3-7 season solely on the wingt. Ferg didn't have the support of the administration like McDaniel has had. He was unable to hire in extra coaches to get an experienced OC much less a LB coach when Mitchell left right as the season started for Smyrna. OHS always had a skeletal staff.

Central Middle School ran the wingt T with perfection when I first moved here. I was stunned the first time I saw them play at how 7th and 8th graders could run it so smoothly. That was b/c the coach apparently knew it so well and knew how to teach it.

BTW, Patriotmama.....you aren' t going to find a lot of true D-1 players at many of the schools we play no matter WHAT kind of offense that they run.

Now.....do I like the wingt? No, thanks.....but I really hate the spread worse than the wingt.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ol wing T debate ...it is great for offensive lineman if they can hold their block for 5 seconds like they do with a wing T then they can hold their block for 3 seconds like in most offenses...I do think the wing T does hurt the skill players i think we have a few athletes that are really not getting or seeing their full talent if we didnt run the wing T everyone would be talking about how good dequinton Sherrill is but no one is talking about him because he only gets the ball 5 times a game and for 5 of those yards he has to go side to side...I am not a fan of the spread in high school either as the sole offense...look this is high school football keep it simple line it up and tell them i am going to run it down your throat now stop me ask oakland if they have had success with that philosophy this year

Now y'all done got my hopes up for nothing. I was HOPEING I would NOT have to see the WingT next year except for teams we used to beat.

If it is Shad he will have made a powerful enemy in this county of one of his main boosters. That would NOT be smart as it WILL come around and bite him eventually.

Shafting a Christian school is not smart either.

No team has won the State Title running the wing-t at the highest classification. (NO...Cleveland was 4-A)

And noone will again this year.

How did that pivotal game with Hendersonville (and the wing-t) turn out for you. Personally, I think you guys are blowing the offensive arguements way out of proportion...wing-t's in and off itself are different (there are plenty of hybrid versions of it). The single wing was a laughing matter 3 years ago, and Houston Nutt thought differently at a major college level and look at what has happened since (which further proves my point b/ce then he tweaked it, it has since been tweaked more, and so on). Guys, football is cyclical, and defenses will catch up only to have an offense branch off again...that is the beauty of it. Look at the main ingredients of the checklist: is the guy a worker, does he make the weight room a priority, does he surround himself with quality people, is he a motivator, and will his kids play hard for him. Research that, if he grades high, hire the guy and give him what he wants-don't give hime the keys to a car that won't start.

By the way, GWAVE 1, you look to have Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, and Station Camp on the schedule for you...three wing-t's, three easy wins?

I like the drama of the waiting game. All the SHS fans were in the same boat last year. Think about this if we didnt love high school football in our little corner of this whole state this topic wouldnt be the top one.

Region 4-5A (speaking for the present we havent played our first game as a part of the new alignment) is truly the road to the State in my opinion since 1994 this area has brought us all wonderful Friday Nights and some Saturday Nights (count the rings from this area). Who ever it is lets hope it always stays competitive, but in reality kids play the sport. Without the players the coaches are nothing. I can remember when SEC basketball had Hugh, Wimp, Dale, Fogler, Pitino etc.... If message boards had been around back in the DAY O it would be the same drama that is happening now. Oh btw is there any drama with coaches in the SEC Football Today...........???? I love this country and love watching it all go down. Whomever it is lets all support the kids.

Coaching in all sports is for the love of the game in high school very few worry about the money.

Teaching is a job and you should be happy doing it. It is a thankless job. I couldnt do it.

I am sure coaches who once coached in this area always sit back and chuckle about just how competitive we are here in Region 4-5A and those that are coaching now will tell you they love it.

To whomever it is good luck and I am counting the days until next August.

Good Luck to Oakland, I truly dont think you will need it you are the most physical team by far.

PS: My phone just hasnt stopped ringing today about this topic.

The Stork

www.storkmontgomery.com

Who ever the new coach is he will get a great senior class that was the major majority of blackmans starters this season. It was a sham blackman wasnt able to make the playoffs as they were hitting their stride after beating a good siegal team and a decent lebanon team and had to lose to oakland by a horrible call by the refs. Look for blackman to be a strong competitor next season no matter who the coach is this coming up senior class hates to lose and have come acostum to winning since they won the lions bowl there freshman year.

GO BLAZE

The latest rumors I've heard on Wed. that 4 have interviewed Hester, Britton, Dyson and Coach Shad. Also heard the announcement will be made after Christmas. heard it's Shadowens to turn down.

then on thursday I heard a different 4 listed, that included the coach from Ga. Seems as though Mrs. Vick and the staff at BHS are the masters of surprise.

The latest rumors I've heard on Wed. that 4 have interviewed Hester, Britton, Dyson and Coach Shad. Also heard the announcement will be made after Christmas. heard it's Shadowens to turn down.

then on thursday I heard a different 4 listed, that included the coach from Ga. Seems as though Mrs. Vick and the staff at BHS are the masters of surprise.

Or they have no clue what they are doing.