Hampton v/s District 1 (A)

The coaches do not cuss the players like you are implying. What you are saying is just a flat out lie. If you don't want your son to be a Bulldog that is fine with me, you'll just be one less mouth. It's pathetic to hear some parents at Hampton whining and crying because their little babies can't handle someone telling them they're not perfect. But if a kid wants to learn how to play the game and be a winner, they should come to Hampton because the Dawgs have 2 of the best. Coach Tolley has done great things with this girl's team and won a few championships at the middle school level, led a team to state runner-up as a player, is still to this day the only player to ever win the MVP of the State Tournament while being on the losing team, and he's the smartest coach that I've ever seen. You don't even realize how good of a coach he is until you play for someone else. Coach White is a TSSAA Hall of Fame coach, won a state championship as a player, earned the only major D-1 scholarship that a Hampton player has ever received (that I know of) which was to the University of South Carolina, and he learned the game of basketball from one of the best coaches in high school basbetball history and Tennessee's All-Time Winningest coach, Buck Vanhuss. I sure hope that Buck cannot see what is happening to the school that he built and the way his school's coaches are being treated because he is probably rolling over in his grave...

I never said it was Coach White, and I think I will take my son somewhere else, on up the mountain. And yes the players do get cursed and it's not a lie. One day the parents of the players will get fed up with the language directed at their sons and they will go to the right people and these Coaches won't have a leg to stand on. My son does not play High School ball yet, but it won't be at Hampton. I can assure you that he won't be the last player Hampton loses from their feeder Schools due to whats going on. There are more people in the stands than just you, and we can hear.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to see Coach Smith curse one of his players and he seens to do just fine. Coach Smith is a good Coach and role model for his players. He is a true class act, and yes he still gets on and pushes his players to be their best.

these players take everything so personal, it's called MOTIVATION, and i never said ned cussed his players but is he gonna get up and quit if ned puts him on the bench? and i have no idea why everyone is on the coaches so bad we're conference champs and first place seed in the district, that to me sounds like a pretty good job from the coaches considering we lost 8 seniors from last years team. i applaude the coaches for what they have done this season.

I never said it was Coach White, and I think I will take my son somewhere else, on up the mountain. And yes the players do get cursed and it's not a lie. One day the parents of the players will get fed up with the language directed at their sons and they will go to the right people and these Coaches won't have a leg to stand on. My son does not play High School ball yet, but it won't be at Hampton. I can assure you that he won't be the last player Hampton loses from their feeder Schools due to whats going on. There are more people in the stands than just you, and we can hear.

I can assure that the coaches don't cuss the players. I just don't see why you would want to get on here and slander them that way. It's pathetic. I just want to make sure that everyone understands this so they won't be misled by your lies. But since your son is not man enough to be a Bulldog, hopefully we won't see you on the Hampton threads again. And by the looks of the sports section in today's Elizabethton Star, Hampton's girls and boys are going to be winning for a long time. DOMINATION!!!

these players take everything so personal, it's called MOTIVATION, and i never said ned cussed his players but is he gonna get up and quit if ned puts him on the bench? and i have no idea why everyone is on the coaches so bad we're conference champs and first place seed in the district, that to me sounds like a pretty good job from the coaches considering we lost 8 seniors from last years team. i applaude the coaches for what they have done this season.

I don't really think its the players that take it personal. I believe the parents are the problem. The coaches deserve tons of credit, but all they get is bashed all the time. I have never seen a team this young win the conference. But when you ask one of these coach-haters what the coaches have done wrong, all they can say is "my son is mistreated" or "my son didn't play enough."

This has been a very interesting thread. I am Unicoi blue all the way, but I've always admired the hard work ethic and (no better word for it) GRIT the Hampton Bulldogs have had in their football and basketball programs. I've often wondered what it takes to produce that kind of toughness year in and year out, as I have with Johnson County's programs, and it may be the 'do or die' mentality of the coaches. It may be the 'produce or sit' attitude or the 'know your role and shut your mouth' philosophy. At any rate, something there produces hard nosed, scrappy kids and that should be commended as much as being conference champions.

The only two cents I have to throw in is that, in absolutely no way, cussing is not motivation. I have watched Head Coach John English for years teach, correct, motivate, and Reprimend (to put it politely haha) from afar and all without ever belittling a young man-- certainly not publically-- and he is not an easy man to play for. Respect commands respect and that might be the single greatest factor to the Blue Devils success during his reign.

I won't pretend to know the truth as to what's going on during games or practices, but if the problem truly existed to the level that has been suggested on here, there are productive ways of achieving change. Letters to the editor are powerful tools for those not afraid to sign their name on the bottom. School board meetings are the best way to communicate problems for those not afraid to stand up and be accounted for. And the list goes on.

I know I'm spoiled to have the staff I do coaching the young man of my community, but if they ever crossed the line it would make the Erwin Record and/or School board agenda long before it got hashed and rehashed out on an anonymous message board.

I love following Hampton athletics so please don't think of my comment as a biased intrusion-- Good luck!

I think parents like Dr. Enuf here is why kids are in the shape they are in today. Back when I was a teen, we all cussed but we made something of ourselves. Most of these goody two shoe kids who don't cuss are the ones who stay home til their 30 and our tax dollars have to keep them up. My point is there are worse things than language and that is being a coward and a worthless piece of crap that the government has to support. Some of you posters make us sick. The real Hampton and Cloudland fans know there is a tournament to be played and they don't need retarded distractions like this. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

I won't pretend to know the truth as to what's going on during games or practices, but if the problem truly existed to the level that has been suggested on here, there are productive ways of achieving change. Letters to the editor are powerful tools for those not afraid to sign their name on the bottom. School board meetings are the best way to communicate problems for those not afraid to stand up and be accounted for. And the list goes on.

I agree with what you have said. But I just want you to know that the only 2 people on this board that are accusing the basketball coaches of cussing are in no way involved with the Hampton High basketball program. One of them (Dr. Enuf) is the parent of a child who apparently plays somewhere in some middle school. She has never been at a practice or been in the locker room. The other person (maxalt) is from Unaka and I believe he just said what he did to get a little laugh by watching the Hampton fans get mad...

I agree with what you have said. But I just want you to know that the only 2 people on this board that are accusing the basketball coaches of cussing are in no way involved with the Hampton High basketball program. One of them (Dr. Enuf) is the parent of a child who apparently plays somewhere in some middle school. She has never been at a practice or been in the locker room. The other person (maxalt) is from Unaka and I believe he just said what he did to get a little laugh by watching the Hampton fans get mad...

And that is exactly why I phrased my comments the way I did, Vader. I've read every last word of this thread and I just wanted listed somewhere on here the 'correct' way to take action against a coach behaving inappropiately-- IF THAT WAS ACTUALLY THE CASE. You follow me /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think the best thing in this type of situation would be to let go and move on. Instead of keeping this topic going on forever and ever. It's no secret the fans who arent behind the program and this goes for all programs. Are going to continue to bash and bash until they are satisfied.

The program and coaches know's whats best for the team and will continue to block out these distractions and try to finish out the season in the right type of manner... Hopefully this thread will be deleted or locked.

Start something new already? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I don't really think its the players that take it personal. I believe the parents are the problem. The coaches deserve tons of credit, but all they get is bashed all the time. I have never seen a team this young win the conference. But when you ask one of these coach-haters what the coaches have done wrong, all they can say is "my son is mistreated" or "my son didn't play enough."

ur exactly right the parents are the one's who are causing all the problems, not the coaches they are doing there job and have done it very well.

It should be a good night at Vanhuss White gymnasium. Its senior night and I look for the dawgs to come out and play well. Hopefully, we will gain some momentum heading into the district and regional tournaments. I think Hampton gets a big win tonight. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!