Ensworth vs. MBA

TrackRunner4291

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I hold Mr. Woodroof in high esteem (I really do), I will state my football view that this will be a close game. Ensworth has gotten more banged up since the early game against MBA, yet I am certain MBA has also. BUT, MBA has overcome the adversity of losing their startiing quarterback, and still has athletes who can make plays. Lassing has taking on a heavy load and been up to it. Fletcher is great kicker, and EHS doesn't really have much of a kicking game.

Ensworth may well have to throw the ball more, and I would think that MBA is the better passing team, if it comes down to that.

Darkwa should be well rested with essentially three weeks off. I think this is high scoring with over 60 points scored bythe two teams. EHS ought to win, but not by more than a touchdown.

Since I hold Mr. Woodroof in high esteem (I really do), I will state my football view that this will be a close game. Ensworth has gotten more banged up since the early game against MBA, yet I am certain MBA has also. BUT, MBA has overcome the adversity of losing their startiing quarterback, and still has athletes who can make plays. Lassing has taking on a heavy load and been up to it. Fletcher is great kicker, and EHS doesn't really have much of a kicking game.

Ensworth may well have to throw the ball more, and I would think that MBA is the better passing team, if it comes down to that.

Darkwa should be well rested with essentially three weeks off. I think this is high scoring with over 60 points scored bythe two teams. EHS ought to win, but not by more than a touchdown.

I completely agree with you (almost), and I think that you make some excellent points. Both teams, as in inevitable throughout a season, are banged up, and MBA has done an excellent job of overcoming the the adversity of two QB changes. Fletcher has a great leg, and Lassing is undoubtedly the best player on the team, and has carried MBA on several occasions. I also agree that MBA has a slight edge in the passing game. On all of these things I agree with you. I will put in my two cents in addition, I think that MBA and other teams are more suited to a long season with more injuries because of their relatively deep roster. As stated in another post, EHS only has about 50 players to MBA's 80 something. EHS may have a great starting 22, but throughout the game with long sustained drives, I think that having so many players (especially on the lines) going both ways will come back to bite the tigers. MBA seems to be able to sub people in for players like Lassing, Tanner, and Bars, while EHS has many 2-way players that dont have backups that can compete at a high enough level.

Thus far, I havent seen many serious score predictions, so I'll give mine, but feel free to disagree:

MBA:31

EHS:28

One of the things I've noticed about Ensworth's run-heavy offense is that even the most skilled defenses can only somewhat put a damper on it even when they know it's coming. Oakland held Darkwa to 80 yards in a loss, and, though MBA's defense may be improved since the 330 yard thrashing he gave them in week 2, I don't think they've become an Oakland as the season has gone on. I think it's safe to say that it won't be another 29-point difference, but I still don't think that means that the outcome will be in doubt for very long. Also, Ensworth has improved somewhat in the passing game the last few weeks, so don't count that out as a source of yards for the offense if MBA decides to put 9 in the box. I can see probably a 2 touchdown victory, but take that for what it is, an opinion from an Ensworth student.

I write from long and usually bitter experience. Overlooking the Big Red is not a wise thing to do.

BTW...some of y'all should re-read your posts here. Embarrassing. Do you even recognize what elitist jerks you come across as? Have some pride.

Well said on both counts. Sticking with the football end of things, it is indeed a very bad idea to look past MBA. Traditionally an MBA team is a great deal more than the sum of its parts. MBA players understand (from Day 1 with the 7th grade) that our football heritage is unique. We don't give up.

While some of the juvenile Ensworth supporters may have already chalked this one up as a win, the older and more knowledgable ones haven't. More relevant to Friday night's festivities, we will see Nancy Pelosi with a hickey from Rush Limbaugh before we see Ricky Bowers look past past an MBA team. IF (strictly hypothetically) EHS was to come out for the first half and sleep-walk, I'm guessing the Ensworth dressing room would need to be repainted Saturday.

MBA does have a couple of advantages. Simonis is playing well; he's passing nicely, and there's not a great body of work to use in preparation against him. There's less pressure on MBA than there is on Ensworth. They seem to have come out of their last two games without any major damage. This has kept them in their weekly routine. The first round bye cuts both ways...a team gets a chance to heal and put in new wrinkles, at the cost of routine and a loss (to some of extent) of game conditioning. We'll all sound a great deal wiser in our post mortems.

MBA is better than they were earlier in the season, although there was a lot of room for improvement. I think they can be competitive, and i think they can win, although a lot of factors have to line up just right. They will have no room for error anywhere on the field. No missed tackles, no penalties (especially idiotic unsportsmanlike conduct/unnecessary roughness penalties), no turnovers. They also need Ensworth to start slow and play an average game. Above all, they need some early success. If EHS takes a 14 point lead at any point in the first half, or is up 14-0 at any point, I suspect the night is over. MBA will be a little fragile; nothing from 4 Sep gives them any reason for confidence.

Ultimately, from my point of view, the biggest floater in the punchbowl comes from the fact that Ensworth just has a better football team. If both teams play a good game, Ensoworth should win it by 10-14 points. Still, it should be worth watching. Thanks to the good people at the TSSAA, all I can do is sit at my computer and listen to the radio broadcast. BTW, if you've never listened to MBA's radio broadcast of a game, you're missing a good one. Knowledgable, well-informed, funny, and only mildly partisan. It's almost as good as being there.

I write from long and usually bitter experience. Overlooking the Big Red is not a wise thing to do.

BTW...some of y'all should re-read your posts here. Embarrassing. Do you even recognize what elitist jerks you come across as? Have some pride.

Well said on both counts. Sticking with the football end of things, it is indeed a very bad idea to look past MBA. Traditionally an MBA team is a great deal more than the sum of its parts. MBA players understand (from Day 1 with the 7th grade) that our football heritage is unique. We don't give up.

While some of the juvenile Ensworth supporters may have already chalked this one up as a win, the older and more knowledgable ones haven't. More relevant to Friday night's festivities, we will see Nancy Pelosi with a hickey from Rush Limbaugh before we see Ricky Bowers look past past an MBA team. IF (strictly hypothetically) EHS was to come out for the first half and sleep-walk, I'm guessing the Ensworth dressing room would need to be repainted Saturday.

MBA does have a couple of advantages. Simonis is playing well; he's passing nicely, and there's not a great body of work to use in preparation against him. There's less pressure on MBA than there is on Ensworth. They seem to have come out of their last two games without any major damage. This has kept them in their weekly routine. The first round bye cuts both ways...a team gets a chance to heal and put in new wrinkles, at the cost of routine and a loss (to some of extent) of game conditioning. We'll all sound a great deal wiser in our post mortems.

MBA is better than they were earlier in the season, although there was a lot of room for improvement. I think they can be competitive, and i think they can win, although a lot of factors have to line up just right. They will have no room for error anywhere on the field. No missed tackles, no penalties (especially idiotic unsportsmanlike conduct/unnecessary roughness penalties), no turnovers. They also need Ensworth to start slow and play an average game. Above all, they need some early success. If EHS takes a 14 point lead at any point in the first half, or is up 14-0 at any point, I suspect the night is over. MBA will be a little fragile; nothing from 4 Sep gives them any reason for confidence.

Ultimately, from my point of view, the biggest floater in the punchbowl comes from the fact that Ensworth just has a better football team. If both teams play a good game, Ensoworth should win it by 10-14 points. Still, it should be worth watching. Thanks to the good people at the TSSAA, all I can do is sit at my computer and listen to the radio broadcast. BTW, if you've never listened to MBA's radio broadcast of a game, you're missing a good one. Knowledgable, well-informed, funny, and only mildly partisan. It's almost as good as being there.

Wow...kwoodroof....I may not be able to sleep tonight for the bad imagery you gave me with the "Nancy Pelosi with a hickey from Rush Limbaugh" thought!" BTW....I agree that no team should be taken lightly once you get into the second round of the playoffs. If MBA plays there best and can get a turnover or two I think they can pull off the win. From some of the ramblings I have read on here....I hope they do. I am making the long trip from Chattanooga to Memphis for the Baylor vs MUS game but will listen for scores of the other games.

There are 3 sides to this:

1) As a Senior at EHS, i sincerely thank those who decided to step in and comment on the negativity in the post. Both schools are good, but cast themselves in a negative light through crap like this.

2) I cannot post without responding to one specific incident. MBA: Your motto is three words, one of which is 'gentleman.' Let's act like it. Hardcastle knows alot about this stuff, and working for 'RivalsHigh' is not too shabby. Pulling out bs like "he mixes gatorade and washes jock straps" is low and uncalled for.

3) To talk about FOOTBALL, MBA has definitely improved but I dont think they can stop Ensworth's offense. It is a rivalry game though so no one should be counted out. Personally, I pick EHS in an offensive shootout, 31-21. Go Tigers!

PS, yes Darkwa is fine

This is the 17th page of this MBA/EHS thread and it just shows there is a lot of interest in this game by both students, parents, and fans.

This is an intense and jealous rivalry that makes this a game hard to predict.

I don't won't to mention the "war" word (sorry KWoodroff) but maybe a battle. The last game was pretty intense with lots of hard hits producing multiple injuries, even season ending injuries.

Some random thoughts:

MBA's injured QB will be emotional spark for the MBA team.

EHS hasn't hit anybody in 2 weeks and could be flat.

There are alot of Gold balls in the MBA hallway and some were won when MBA was the underdog.

Lassing might not be the best DII back but he runs harder than Dakwa and that makes the run game about even. Lassing never comes off the field to get a blow and Dakwa does.

Passing game is also about even, maybe slight edge (79yds/gm vs 69yds) to EHS.

Kicking game is MBA's.

Home game for EHS.

Coach Ricky can taste the championship and will have his team fired up.

MBA's defense coordinator has see the potent EHS offense once and will be better prepared.

A mediocre underdog BA team played against EHS last year in playoff and won.

Health rumors running rampant about Dakwa just like last year with EHS's QB Jefferson.

Good luck on predictions, should be a great game.