Ensworth vs. MBA

TrackRunner4291

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloud, et al, let's review:

Back to football, and EHS v MBA. Haven't heard enough about MBA's players like Fitz Lassing, Brad Bars? What happened? I expected them to put up more of a struggle Friday night -- especially after watching Lassing beast his way, in the 2nd half, to beating Maplewood last week. Both EHS and MBA seemed rattled after Colbert suffered a concussion and was carried off the field, but MBA was down by 3 TDs by that time, late in the 2nd qtr (28 -7?). Not as much fun for fans, either, after that. Who has insight on who did what in the first half, when this game seems to have been decided?

MBA didn't lack fight in the game. They simply don't have as good a starting line-up as Ensworth, and the most glaring issue is their defense and the number of points they've given up. In the last two games, a good TB has been through the line nearly every play. Vanlier was pretty small, and could be brought down. Darkwa was 50 lbs heavier, two years older and savvier, and was a very punishing runner. Realistically, 21 points ought to win you a game.

Lassing ran well, although he didn't touch the ball until they were down by 2 touchdowns. Barrs played well too. MBA doesn't have a bad team; Ensworth and few others just have better teams.

I do believe that MBA was badly shaken by the injury to their QB, but the game was already getting out of reach at that point.

The issue was their defense. They were playing some form of 4-4 with only one safety. If Orleans broke thru the line, there was no one left back to tackle him except the lone safety (who had trouble tackling). The D line made almost no plays and tackling at corner and OLB was very poor as well. Right now the jury is still out as to whether or not MBA is a good team. With their struggles on D and the loss of their #1 QB, it could be a long season. The competition is tough.

As a public school parent who looks at CoachT from time-to-time, I finally came across something that I had to comment on.

I have to say the recent comments by GreyGhost, TransplantMom and Bostie were totally out of line. You may not agree with 3yards but he has a right to his opinion and his initial points were not personal attacks on anyone.

Your comments about his personal chararacter show your own pettiness and the weaknes of your argiments.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As a public school parent who looks at CoachT from time-to-time, I finally came across something that I had to comment on.

I have to say the recent comments by GreyGhost, TransplantMom and Bostie were totally out of line. You may not agree with 3yards but he has a right to his opinion and his initial points were not personal attacks on anyone.

Your comments about his personal chararacter show your own pettiness and the weaknes of your argiments.

Thanks.

As a public school parent who looks at CoachT from time-to-time, I finally came across something that I had to comment on. I have to say the recent comments by GreyGhost, TransplantMom and Bostie were totally out of line. You may not agree with 3yards but he has a right to his opinion and his initial points were not personal attacks on anyone.Your comments about his personal chararacter show your own pettiness and the weaknes of your argiments.

Rightnow, reasonable people can, and do, disagree with the highlighted portion of your post above.

This article will give you a little flavor of the background the the recent history of the MBA-EHS rivalry, and the context in which 3Yards made his ill-advised comment: http://www.nashvillescene.com/2009-01-2 ... also-news/

MBA Headmaster Brad Gioia said it exactly right, as quoted in this article, when he said "when the line between what's funny and what's spirited gets muddled, it's best to step away from it." Apparently, 3Yards either didn't get the memo, or he thought the "Hooked on Phonics" chant was funny. I was at the game that cold January night and did not. Hence the reason for me calling 3Yards out in my earlier post. I do not read any sense of sensitivity to this issue in any of his subsequent posts in which, instead, he seems to imply that he was factually correct with his unfounded and insulting accusation.

As the fans of MBA and EHS (and, having had one daughter graduate from Harpeth Hall - effectively MBA's sister school, Rightnow - and another at Ensworth, I consider myself a fan of both) get used to having their biggest rival be the school that their friends attended, their family members attended and, in some cases, where they attended (!!!), it is imperative that they keep things positive and focused on the competition. Both schools have many gifts and, although many seem to have difficulty getting acclimated to it, their new rivalry can be one of the very best!

• 1 month later...
I didn't see the game today but from the score it looks like MBA is HOT right now. Can anyone break down how the MBA vs BGA game went for me?

My impression of the MBA/BGA score and game is not that MBA is "hot", it's that BGA is BAD. MBA did what they should have done to the Wildcats, and should have done the first time. It will always be a mystery to me that BGA beat them, because they are a significantly better team.

It will be interesting to me to see how the MBA/EHS #2 shakes out. I expect MBA to play with a lot of emotion and really come after EHS after a very humiliating early season loss. On the other hand, EHS can look at this game as a "gimme" after what took place in the first game and come out flat. However, EHS is too well coached for that and the program has way too much to play for, so I predict a very workmanlike EHS victory, a 14 point margin.

I didn't see the game today but from the score it looks like MBA is HOT right now. Can anyone break down how the MBA vs BGA game went for me?

My impression of the MBA/BGA score and game is not that MBA is "hot", it's that BGA is BAD. MBA did what they should have done to the Wildcats, and should have done the first time. It will always be a mystery to me that BGA beat them, because they are a significantly better team.

It will be interesting to me to see how the MBA/EHS #2 shakes out. I expect MBA to play with a lot of emotion and really come after EHS after a very humiliating early season loss. On the other hand, EHS can look at this game as a "gimme" after what took place in the first game and come out flat. However, EHS is too well coached for that and the program has way too much to play for, so I predict a very workmanlike EHS victory, a 14 point margin.

Agreed. I didn't see the first BGA game, but how in the world did they beat MBA?

It'll be tough for MBA to beat Ensworth, especially after a bye week.