Oak Ridge vs. Maryville

boyfromsi

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21-6, then OR picked off maryville too make it 21-13 4th Q 3:46 to go

OR did not pick Maryville off they over threw their own receiver and Maryville corner batted the ball in the air and OR's deep receiver came back and caught the ball on the tip and was behind everyone and turned and ran it in for the TD.

That being said OR is very young at the skill positions and will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future. Young Zulliger will be a stud before he is done with a couple more years in the weight room and maturing on the field mentally.

One last thing, one of the hardest things to do in life must be to be a sports broadcaster, Packer is an idiot in no less than 5 plays he said Maryville is dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball right now and turns around and says OR is dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball so far, when in truth neither team was out playing the other. Stanton Stevens has yet to say anything positive about Maryville. How hard is it to broadcast a game without contradicting yourself or being bias?

So Matback I guess they were dominating each other huh? LOL By the way do you have any idea what Stevens is doing now? Does he still teach at OR? Just curious. Fun game to watch, OR red zone defense was outstanding.

Do not like "Packer" , he knows about as much about football as Heather does. Take your TV games to wherever it is they came from, they just take away from H S FOOTBALL.

O R played a good game last night, #47 impressed me , what a player. MARYVILLE played sloppy football. I think both teams shot themselves in the foot a lot last night. This will be a good rivalry.

My observations on the game:

- I was immediately surprised that OR didn't bring a bigger crowd

- Holy crap...I had NO IDEA that OR QB is a soph...wow, that's scary. He's got game.

- MHS left a lot of points on the field

- MHS QB missed by inches on several huge plays

- More drops than I've ever seen from MHS receivers

- OR defense is FAST...tons of plays that looked like nothing but space and opportunity closed down quickly

- If Blade had Hillsboro talent out there, he'd have blown that game wide open

Great beginning to a great rivalry. Go Rebels!

As for the Oak Ridge crowd, I think because of the threat of rain (not like we shouldn't be used to a little rain by now-LOL), and the fact that it was on TV, and the fact all I heard all week was that the visitors side was not small but wasn't real big either, and that you needed to be at the field real early to get a seat, lead to a smaller crowd from OR. It being on TV though, was by far the biggest factor.

OR soph QB played a great game, as did the Maryville QB, these two guys kept their team in the game the entire night.

As an OR fan, I was impressed with the progress they've made since the beginning of the year. There is no doubt in my mind that Coach Blade is coaching these young men up. I also think they will have more than average improvement between now and the end of the season.

Maryville's level of execution was absolutely fantastic. As someone pointed out, there were a couple of near completions that could have changed the game. But overall, they executed their offense beautifully. On the other hand, OR had a couple of pretty flimsy fumbles early in the game, and should take away some confidence that it took a pick 6 and a special teams breakdown / return for TD to get the win. To hold the Maryville offense to 1 TD is impressive IMO. The Maryville QB really impressed me, as did their OL.

To be frank, both of these teams looked better than I expected. OR has to develop the ability to stretch the field with their passing game. I have confidence that Coach Blade had the right game plan for last night, but the lack of a deep passing threat allowed the safeties to play up and the corners to play up as well. The OR ground game with a running QB and the short controlled passing game is good, but if they want to get to the playoffs and have a shot at advancing against very good teams I believe they will have to force the defense to back off by making them respect the deep threat. I also didn't see a big playmaker at RB for the Wildcats, but the soph QB is definitely a playmaker.

I am glad you are impressed Govols but that was an incredibly sloppy offensive game by Maryville standards. Several drops and a few missed passes to the receivers that are not representative of a typical Maryville offense. The line has three and sometimes four sophomores starting and it does show at times. The Maryville fumble on the one was a missed blocking assignment and a good play and hit by the OR player. I guess you haven't watched a Maryville offense very much but regardless thanks for the complements.

Blade knows how to build and it's no surprise that his team is improving. That's what good coaches do. Like Maryville OR is young and will be formidable again very soon.

I am glad you are impressed Govols but that was an incredibly sloppy offensive game by Maryville standards. Several drops and a few missed passes to the receivers that are not representative of a typical Maryville offense. The line has three and sometimes four sophomores starting and it does show at times. The Maryville fumble on the one was a missed blocking assignment and a good play and hit by the OR player. I guess you haven't watched a Maryville offense very much but regardless thanks for the complements.

Blade knows how to build and it's no surprise that his team is improving. That's what good coaches do. Like Maryville OR is young and will be formidable again very soon.

Ha ha Reb. Yes, if you take away the Maryville fumble, dropped passes, missed passes, and missed blocking assignments, it would have been a blow out.....but if you take away Oak Ridge's 2 fumbles, interception for TD, blown punt coverage for TD, and missed extra point Oak Ridge has a convincing win. Couldn't that be said in every close high school game played? The game was what it was, and the players played the way they played. Part of the reason OR fumbled was the pressure that Maryville was applying. BUT, part of the reason that Maryville had missed passes was the pressure the OR defense was putting on your fine QB. And of course, you mentioned the fumble at least had a little bit to do with the hit that the Maryville QB took.

I don't know whether this applies to you or not, but I think there are a number of fans who (while they will never admit it) expected the game to be pretty one-sided and are a little disappointed today. Maryville has a fine team and a tremendous tradition. They probably are not quite up to their typical standard. But I can assure you as one who has watched OR football for 25 + years, that while I'm proud of our team's effort last night, make no mistake. This was not representative of OR's standards either. Good luck the rest of the season. See you next year.

Ha ha Reb. Yes, if you take away the Maryville fumble, dropped passes, missed passes, and missed blocking assignments, it would have been a blow out.....but if you take away Oak Ridge's 2 fumbles, interception for TD, blown punt coverage for TD, and missed extra point Oak Ridge has a convincing win. Couldn't that be said in every close high school game played? The game was what it was, and the players played the way they played. Part of the reason OR fumbled was the pressure that Maryville was applying. BUT, part of the reason that Maryville had missed passes was the pressure the OR defense was putting on your fine QB. And of course, you mentioned the fumble at least had a little bit to do with the hit that the Maryville QB took.

I don't know whether this applies to you or not, but I think there are a number of fans who (while they will never admit it) expected the game to be pretty one-sided and are a little disappointed today. Maryville has a fine team and a tremendous tradition. They probably are not quite up to their typical standard. But I can assure you as one who has watched OR football for 25 + years, that while I'm proud of our team's effort last night, make no mistake. This was not representative of OR's standards either. Good luck the rest of the season. See you next year.

Yes...the hit had everything to do with the fumble but you stated that that Maryville's level of execution was fantastic and it was not. As I stated and GQ and many others would suggest....that was a sloppy offensive game for Maryville. OR's defense had a lot to do with the offensive play but dropped passes and throws that were inaccurate to wide open receivers are not a indicative of fantastic execution nor had anything to do with OR's defense.

Congrats to the Rebels. I believe that the better team won. It was a measuring stick for our team. We had an opportunity to play against a program that is at a place we're trying to get to. Both teams played hard and made some mistakes. The difference is that when you make a mistake against Maryville, they almost always capitalize on that mistake and make you pay for it on the score board.