Oak Ridge vs. Maryville

boyfromsi

Well we got three pages of this thread and barely a word about this great match up between two highly regarded programs.

Who really cares about a clown like baldruner, who never really offers any game strategist talk, just attempts to high-jack a thread that is making an attempt talking X's and O's. Who cares about a group of sportswriters' opinions back in 58 about a National Champion? National Sports News Service (NSNS) polls are interesting, but are not any type of play-off test. In 1958, one source has Jefferson HS of Portland, OR, as the national Champion.

I posted somewhere I thought it interesting OR had trouble with halls. No disrespect to Wang-t Halls, but I thought OR to be a three TD favorite. I guess I was wrong. Maybe Halls is better than most thought or OR is not very good but maybe had an off game.

If there is an advantage anywhere for the Rebels I think it will be the atmosphere of being at home vs. another once storied program. Coach Blades might have a win on GQ, but I would take GQ 9 times out of ten in any match up. Is OR starting QB or RB a freshman? The game is on TV so maybe there will only be 9K fans show up

I too have been waiting for this game for many years.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we got three pages of this thread and barely a word about this great match up between two highly regarded programs.

Who really cares about a clown like baldruner, who never really offers any game strategist talk, just attempts to high-jack a thread that is making an attempt talking X's and O's. Who cares about a group of sportswriters' opinions back in 58 about a National Champion? National Sports News Service (NSNS) polls are interesting, but are not any type of play-off test. In 1958, one source has Jefferson HS of Portland, OR, as the national Champion.

I posted somewhere I thought it interesting OR had trouble with halls. No disrespect to Wang-t Halls, but I thought OR to be a three TD favorite. I guess I was wrong. Maybe Halls is better than most thought or OR is not very good but maybe had an off game.

If there is an advantage anywhere for the Rebels I think it will be the atmosphere of being at home vs. another once storied program. Coach Blades might have a win on GQ, but I would take GQ 9 times out of ten in any match up. Is OR starting QB or RB a freshman? The game is on TV so maybe there will only be 9K fans show up

Fibee, You are right, How about the teams that they rank nationally ... I am talking about .. now.. I think that if you play teams from around the country, that is one way to judge it. But when you play in a class down from where you are supposed to play & only teams in Tn & then go undefeated .. it does not hold much water... Does it? .

Fibee, You are right, How about the teams that they rank nationally ... I am talking about .. now.. I think that if you play teams from around the country, that is one way to judge it. But when you play in a class down from where you are supposed to play & only teams in Tn & then go undefeated .. it does not hold much water... Does it? .

Eye wushed eye knowed sumbody like that......

I would say that the Rebels have an advantage in that they are a tested team in a tested program. We are still very much going up the learning curve both as a program and in player development. We start a Soph at QB in Bradley Zulliger. He is looking better every game. l would love to see our freshman Rian Hall at RB as I thought he had a better game against Halls than our other 2. Our defense is getting pretty stout but face a big test with Maryville's passing game. They do force turnovers and are good at getting the ball.

As I always said when Maryville plays anyone, you can't beat Maryville without winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. (And that doesn't happen very often.) We have had good line play most of the time on defense and inconsistent line play from the offensive side of the ball. I don't know about Maryville this year but with the last 2 games being shutouts, they seem to be on a roll. Our 1st team defense didn't allow a TD against Powell and gave up one on the 1st drive to Halls.

We are a work in progress and getting better every week, but I don't know if we are good enough to beat Maryville at home. This is even more so with them looking forward to playing a Scott Blade coached team again. That said, I'm looking forward to us playing a tough game and keeping it close to end. After that, who knows?

Good post Sir.

I would not say MHS has been tested like other years yet but maybe just a little more than the OR catz so fare this year. Farragat got the catz early but they are becomming a force in maryvilles path through the play-offs. Alcoa got the best of the rebels but MHS did not play very well ether. It happends.

A soph QB is a good thing to have, he no doubt will improve and his experience for the team will be worth sevreal wins in his senior season. Would say OR is run or passing team. Balance is best.

I think we are in for a great game.

Good post Sir.

I would not say MHS has been tested like other years yet but maybe just a little more than the OR catz so fare this year. Farragat got the catz early but they are becomming a force in maryvilles path through the play-offs. Alcoa got the best of the rebels but MHS did not play very well ether. It happends.

A soph QB is a good thing to have, he no doubt will improve and his experience for the team will be worth sevreal wins in his senior season. Would say OR is run or passing team. Balance is best.

So are you playig the" Maryville card" RE: Alcoa, or are they the best team in the state in any class?

You are either down, or they are just that good. You need to pick one.

I'll be surprised if this is a competitive (on the scoreboard) game in the 2nd half. But in the years to come, assuming the schools continue to play one another, it should be one of the best in East TN.

I would not be. If you are using the Farragut game as a benchmark, we are much, much improved on defense from that game. The key will be if our offense can move the ball on Maryville's defense. If we can't then this will get ugly, however I still see this as a competitive game until the final whistle.

I'll be surprised if this is a competitive (on the scoreboard) game in the 2nd half. But in the years to come, assuming the schools continue to play one another, it should be one of the best in East TN.

I would not be. If you are using the Farragut game as a benchmark, we are much, much improved on defense from that game. The key will be if our offense can move the ball on Maryville's defense. If we can't then this will get ugly, however I still see this as a competitive game until the final whistle.

No, I'm thinking of personnel for each team and their entire "body of evidence" to this point in the season. Oak Ridge will continue to improve, but Maryville has improved as well since its opener. Besides Alcoa, I can't think of another East TN team I'd take over Maryville right now. Hoping for a well-played, injury-free game.

Oak Ridge is pretty good and getting better, but I don't think they're ready to come into Maryville and win. They will definately have to reduce the number of penalties they've been committing to stay in this one. Maryville looks to be right back on track since the Alcoa game. Both coaching staffs are excellent and it should be a well played hard fought game. Blade doesn't have near the athletes that he had at Hillsboro, at least not right now. I think Maryville has a little to much at home for my Cats. Looking forward to it though, and hope there's no major injuries. I doubt you could find a better atmosphere for a high school game this weekend.

Good post Sir.

So are you playig the" Maryville card" RE: Alcoa, or are they the best team in the state in any class?

You are either down, or they are just that good. You need to pick one.

Hey Troll (bladerunner) , Like I told you on the other board Maryville will be fine this year and they will beat Oak Ridge thursday IMHO. It's nice to see you on an Oak Ridge board , but your still trolling the Maryville fans. Prediction ......... Maryville 35 Oak Ridge 14