Polk @ South Pitt

SgtEagleFort

Polk is a well coached team with some tough hard nosed kids that play the game the right way but they have not come close to seeing the skill position players they will see Friday. SP is loaded with speed and has good size up front. Unless SP turns the ball over this game won't be too close. Polk will line up and keep punching though. Tough kids.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Pitt 27

Polk County 21

This will be a one of the best match-ups of the week! :roflolk:

Exactly what i was thinking.

Speed wise there are very few teams in the state that can match up speed for speed at EVERY position on the Field with South Pitt.They are very well coached team and have some really good players. I dont think this game will be close iv seen both on film and Sp is the better all around football team. No one in 1a will touch them.Best of luck to both teams!

I was reading in my Murphy Fair book during the game last night and read it some more this morning. Let me tell you people something. This Polk County team is for real. They will hit you and have some real big ole boys that will be able to knock a hole in our line. You think I am joking but I am not. I hope nobody thinks it is a joke because they are a real good team. They have some boys that are fast too. I been reading about this Jared Allen boy. He is a pretty big boy that is strong and fast. They also have a Christian boy that Murphy says is a real good ball player. I hope Grider makes these boys lift alot of weights this week so they will be real strong in time for Friday night. Let me ask you Polk people a question. Is this Polk County best team they have ever had? I was reading in my book that they have a coach named Davis. Let me ask you something. Is that coach kin to the other Davis man that use to coach Polk County in the 80's? That Davis man was a real good coach back then. He would make those big ole boys line up and they knew how to knock a hole. They had a real big ole QB one year too. I am afraid that those big ole boys will be able to knock a hole in our line and let the runners have holes to run through next week. According to my Murphy Fair book this Davis guy has a real good coaching record too. Let me ask you Polk people another question. Will SP be the best team Polk has played this season or have they played some better teams? Let me tell you something. I was noticing something last night. I hope Grider puts some ankle weights on some of our boys this week so they will be faster in time for the game on Friday. We need to be real fast and real strong for this game. Polk County is good. You think I am joking but Im not. Grider better tell the team how good big and strong Polk County is or we will get beat. Its not a joke either. SP will not be mercy ruling this team. I will show some of you in my Murphy Fair book how good this team is.

yes yes and yes . grider and davis either went to collage together or coached together at one time so they know each other very well , no doubt both teams will bring it , there will be no mercy rule . polk is not all that big just a few but they arent slow if sp back slow or hesitate getting to the hole they will be stopped polks d is not slow the line gets off the ball fast and both d- ends are quick. they dont have a lot of seniors and this team is a TEAM they have played together for years . they play as a team with no one claiming the glory . yes i say this maybe the best team they have had in over 20 years . they are not afraid to hit .last thing pray for the back qb/tb he was hit last week in the game and has a ruptured spleen . :roflolk:

Charlie consulted his sources and did some digging and here are some answers to a few questions posted on this thread.....

Yes, Polk has a kicker that lost his leg below the knee due to a broken leg suffered in a spring scrimmage (2008). I think he was the #1 running back going into the '08 season. I believe he went through about 15 surgeries from Spring of '08 until winter of '08 when it was determined that amputation was the ony alternative. He kick's PAT's and plays some at DE and has carried the ball a few times.

Yes, Coach Derrick Davis is the son of Coach Larry Davis who coached the Wildcats during the late 20th century. If I'm not mistaken, this father and son coaching duo are 2nd or 3rd in Tennessee for combined wins by a father and son,,,,Any guesses at #1 ...? (wouldn't really be a guess would it?)

As for passing, Polk hasn't attempted many passes because when your up 21 - 0 after 1 qtr, there's really no need.

I read on here where SP is stingy against the run,,,but the TFP had the LV kid at 192 yards,,,I assume that was all during mop up duty,,,is that correct?

When did these teams play last?

Charlie thinks this will be a good game with great sportsmanship, hard hitting, and hopefully safe play, considering the connections that these coaching staffs and schools have....

Anybody know the connections.....?

Old Pirate says the connections between these two programs are many. As pointed out Don Grider coached against Coach Davis Sr and the two played many times while these two fine coaches were walking the sidelines. The programs have continued this tradition with sons currently walking the side lines with SP having two sons coaching. Now the one that most folkes may not know is an old pal of mine once starred at Polk County and later walked the sidelines @ SP. Yep....thats Coach Dave Baxter fellers. Coach Dave served SP well during his time @ SP and still regularly attends games to watch the Pirates ear hole folkes. :roflolk: OP is rather sure Coach Dave has a cave he hides out in up there from time to time. Least ways when he wants to take a leak off the back porch. These two programs have had a long relationship and the fans from each have always shown the utmost respect for each other. So you youngons that are trying to learn hows to rattled cages.........BE NICE. :roflol:

Great info regarding the history between the two teams... I knew we had always played them in the 80's and early 90's, then it became mostly scrimmages due to conflict of scheduling. I have always respected Polk Co, and to the one that posted saying no respect down here for Polk, you are wrong. That may be the case in Chattanooga, but not SP. I started this thread on the 1A boards too in case anyone wanted to post there. No biggie. I believe Polk may pound it up and down the field, but SP will quickly and often.

SP- 42

PC- 14

I was curious so I looked some stuff up and up to this point teams that polk have played are a combined 20-46 while teams SP has played are a combined 41-23...The difference in strength of schedules speaks for itself and will help the pirates I believe :wacko:

IMO, these opponents records are a little deceiving. Most of SP's opponents wins have come against below average 1A teams. IMO, two of Polk's opponents (Bradley and McMinn Central) would beat anyone on SP's schedule, with the exception of Boyd. I'm not saying that Polk's schedule is as strong as SP's schedule overall, simply making the point that Polk has played and beaten some quality teams.

With that being said, I have a huge amount of respect for the programs at SP and at Polk, and look forward to what should be a great football game between to proud programs at Beene Stadium Friday night.

Where are all my Polk people at? We got those cocky SP guys all over our 3a board telling us how bad they are going to beat us. Lets put this simply this game will be decided in the final minutes. Lets see SP's weaknesses is our strengths and Polk's weaknesses is yall's strengths. So this game is going to be interesting, and let me tell you speed does not always beat power i promise you that. Bradley and Central both thought they could beat us with speed. Mind it they ripped one but after that we contained their speed all night. SP is by far the best team we have played this year, but you will never convince me that they have speed that can match Justin Houston from bradley. Oh yeah Polk boys are the hardest hitting group in the state and we have 3 all state bound boys on our defense in Hargrove, Allen, and Akins. You best believe Hargrove will be all over the place, Allen will be cleaning up the secondary, and Akins will be in T Robs face all night. This will be a good game but I promise Polk will be able to limit the South Pitt Kids and trust me SP fans you haven't faced a running attack like us all year. Chase Christian, Tyler Lee, Jared Allen, Chase Mull, and Derrick Saxe. Try and limit us Chase is a man on fire he doesn't go down easily. Everyone have fun be safe these one will be the game of the week and for Polk and SP fans it should be the game of the year. :wacko:

Where are all my Polk people at? We got those cocky SP guys all over our 3a board telling us how bad they are going to beat us. Lets put this simply this game will be decided in the final minutes. Lets see SP's weaknesses is our strengths and Polk's weaknesses is yall's strengths. So this game is going to be interesting, and let me tell you speed does not always beat power i promise you that. Bradley and Central both thought they could beat us with speed. Mind it they ripped one but after that we contained their speed all night. SP is by far the best team we have played this year, but you will never convince me that they have speed that can match Justin Houston from bradley. Oh yeah Polk boys are the hardest hitting group in the state and we have 3 all state bound boys on our defense in Hargrove, Allen, and Akins. You best believe Hargrove will be all over the place, Allen will be cleaning up the secondary, and Akins will be in T Robs face all night. This will be a good game but I promise Polk will be able to limit the South Pitt Kids and trust me SP fans you haven't faced a running attack like us all year. Chase Christian, Tyler Lee, Jared Allen, Chase Mull, and Derrick Saxe. Try and limit us Chase is a man on fire he doesn't go down easily. Everyone have fun be safe these one will be the game of the week and for Polk and SP fans it should be the game of the year. :lol:

I do not mean any disrespect at all by what I am fixing to say so Polk ppl do not be offended....No way Polk can make this close til the fourth quarter....Sp is to talented and Polk has not played a challenging team yet since Mcminn central :lol: I will let our boys do the talking on Friday night...You say we cant shut your run down....Well all I have to say to that is you will find out Friday night rookies....I believe Jasper runs a similar offense close to the wing T and we held them pretty good first game of the year but oh well I am glad people have pride in their schools....they should!!! I just hope you guys bring a crowd because I am sure myself and many other SP fans get tired of getting on here and talking up a big game with an opposing team and then they only bring about 100 to the game :lol: and about the hardest hitting group in the state comment....Well I believe #'s 42, 28, 6, 90, and 54 might take offense to that statement :wacko: