Maryville vs. Farragut

B2B2B

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratz to Maryville, the better team won. I thought the officials left their flags in their pockets as befitting a state quarter final game. Let the game be decided by the players. Now before everyone jumps on the Farragut players for showing no class, lets remember who drew the first personal foul in the fourth quarter.......Maryville.

starpower.jpg

Haven't watched the game, but just based on listening to it... I gotta say if blame goes anywhere. Alot of it I think needs to go to the coaches. Maryville was the better team so the deserved the win. But I still have questions over some of the play calling. I mean, you wait until the 4th qtr when down 14 to go no huddle. Moved well down the field, until the pick 6, but why not try it before then? It was fairly obvious the other style of offense was not working very well. Farragut could barely get first downs to just keep the clock going. I also question the calls late in the 2nd qtr before half time. 3 passes? Farragut was inside the 10-15. With about what :40 left? They throw the ball twice, then give up a huge sack. I don't think 1 run should have been out of the question in that situation. Also, was talking to a friend of mine and I told him they'd run the hb pass. What'd they do about 7 plays later? Ran it. Farragut's offense got very very predictable towards the end of the season. The quick out patterns and then throw deep in 2 plays can only work so many times. Heck, almost every running play is the exact same, especially when out of shotgun. I don't think they've run but 5 different running plays the last 3 years. Atleast it doesn't seem that way. That stuff is only going to work vs. a few teams. Once you start playing good teams with good coaches, you have to start changing things up... Just throwing this out there, can we claim there was a conspiracy? Sweetland went to or coached at Maryville correct? Anyways. Congrats to Maryville. I wasn't shocked you all won by 21. You guys are definitely legit and always have been.

One last complaint.. No screen passes Farragut? What gives? Did they even run one this season? When I was a senior I can remember them throwing 2. They gained about 30 yards on each one.. Can we just not execute, or what? Just makes no sense to never even try one...

Erik G, Good job on calling another great season of Admiral football. You guys do a great job. Can't wait to start hearing some basketball.

You sure did " SEE " an awfully lot to criticize while staring at your RADIO ! I wasn't even going to comment on your pathetic whine fest of throwing your team and it's coaches under the bus till you sunk to a new low of Ignorance by bringing up David Sweetland and a " Conspiracy Theory " !! David Sweetland knows more about football than you could ever Imagine , and he has great Morals , work ethic , and he truly cares about the young men he's around . I hope you and your buddies do try to run him off ... it would immediately make Farragut a worse team , and we would pick up a great up and coming coach .

You sure did " SEE " an awfully lot to criticize while staring at your RADIO ! I wasn't even going to comment on your pathetic whine fest of throwing your team and it's coaches under the bus till you sunk to a new low of Ignorance by bringing up David Sweetland and a " Conspiracy Theory " !! David Sweetland knows more about football than you could ever Imagine , and he has great Morals , work ethic , and he truly cares about the young men he's around . I hope you and your buddies do try to run him off ... it would immediately make Farragut a worse team , and we would pick up a great up and coming coach .

Pep looked two me like gettin' Mairvul stopped wuz tha bigger isshoe in both gaims... :roflol:

can we claim there was a conspiracy? Sweetland went to or coached at Maryville correct? Ihavenofriendzz do you have any idea what you are talking about or saying. I have been around this program for 24 years four of them playing and have seen Farragut with hardly any coaches at all for the freshman to the varsity and most of them were volunteer coaches which coach Courtney had to get approval for that because you can only have two. Did you ever here him complain about that no. Now he has a full staff for the freshman and varsity and look what he has done with the program. He has a pretty good coaching staff and Sweetland has done a pretty good job with the offense. When it comes to the big games the players have to standup and play the game. That is something you can not coach but hope the kids buy into it just like Maryville players have that is why they have 7 goldballs. I was very happy with the way this years team played. To be honest I didn't think they would make it as far as they did. Having to replace the whole o-line but one and the whole defense but two or three. If you are not happy ihavenofriendszz find another team to cheer for or get on the ship and shut your mouth.

Now, now ... I hate to be anyone's apologist, but I think the tongue in cheek nature of Ihavenofriendzz conspiracy theory might have been more obvious had he employed one of those goofy "smileys". Most schools would kill to have Farragut's offense, but there's no denying they were sputtering in the playoffs. When I saw that Purty was seriously limited early in the game, I figured it would take Maryville giving it away in order for Farragut to win. And when is Maryville ever in a giving mood? You beat the Rebels by shortening the game, pounding them with the run and not making mistakes. With Purty hobbled, Farragut was effectively playing with one hand tied behind its back. I don't envy the offensive coordinator's predicament. As for running the hurry up, Farragut tried that some the previous week vs. Bearden and it just didn't click. As a matter of necessity -- fine. But to run it only to shorten the breather your defense is getting is obviously self defeating. If they were going to try it, the first possession of the 2nd half would have been the time. One of the more glaring differences in these teams: contrast Maryville's offensive game plan playing with the lead in the 2nd half to Farragut's offensive game plan playing with the lead during the regular season matchup.

Thank you Cletus, I am glad someone atleast got that I clearly wasn't serious about that. It shouldn't take a smiley face to understand it. fsunoles. So you want me to not cheer for Farragut anymore simply because I am unhappy with their quarterfinal performances the last several years? Something has got to change. You can't get to the quarterfinals, what 4 or 5 times in row and not win one of them (I suppose clearly you can because Farragut did it). You can say the players need to step up all you want, but if the coaches aren't there right beside them, then it's not going to matter. I have seen plenty of games where it seems as though the coaches lay down and give up in games. Once one or two things go wrong, it's like they think they have no shot, so they basically do nothing to win. with you having been around the program for "24 years" you should have noticed this by now. You should also be unhappy with this stuff. Giving everyone the benefit of the doubt after losing games does not make you a true fan. I kind of think you aren't even upset over it, or frustrated at the way the last several years have ended, then you should pick another team, because you clearly don't care enough to want something to change. I would like my teams to win championships. Not get 2nd in their conference/district, whether it be college or high school, then lose in the playoffs or their bowl game. You want to compete for championships. I for one am not satisfied with my high school team winning 9 or 10 games a season if it means no district championship and not getting past the quarterfinals. I don't really care if the kids "grow up to be real men" or not. You play for championships. That's the point. I am not saying Courtney needs to go.... not yet atleast, but something has got to be done. He changed the gameplan in Ooltewah and we won. He didn't change the gameplan in Maryville, and we got dominated. We can't expect things to eventually work just because we keep running it. You have to change things up. Something Farragut rarely does during games..... especially during close games in which the season is on the line.. cough cough playoffs cough cough..

You can say the players need to step up all you want, but if the coaches aren't there right beside them, then it's not going to matter. I have seen plenty of games where it seems as though the coaches lay down and give up.

I am glad you said this. #3 told me last year that when he got hurt that he was a soph and he didn't care if he came back because he had two more years a coach can not make a kid play the kid has to want to play. You so call coaches that seat in the stands make me sick. My oldest son played down here for four years last year being his last and watching kids come through this program not wanting to show up for workout in the off season and not want to practice in the spring and then when it is time for the fall to get here that they should start. Well to me that is not what it is about. I am up happy that Farragut has not made it to the State game but a coach can only do so much the players have to want it to. Sometimes it seem that they don't want to get to the next level. That Maryville game alot of missed tackles guys missing cover leaving guys wide open and coach cannot go out there and put them were they need to be. Yes there is some play calling that I think is not the right call but the person throwing the ball has to make the right call to throwing into double and triple cover is not a coaches call. Stop and watch the game before you start making the coach the problem. Best why don't you become a coach since you have all the answers.

You say you were just joking ihavenofriendz , then you go on a 1000 word summary blasting the coaches some more . I saw Farragut play 10 plus years ago , and I see them now .... there Is no comparison to how far this team Is today , and how they were in the past . It amazes me when fans who DIDN'T EVEN GO TO THE GAME .... want to blast the coaches after a season where the only 2 teams that beat their team are 2 of the 4 teams left standing . It's easy to stand behind your team when you're winning every game ... It's how you react to a loss that reveals one's true character .

ihavenofriendz, I know just the coach you deserve, his name is Scott Meadows and he is the current coach of Catholic. If I were you, I would get the boosters and administrators to put a pay package together that Scott just couldn't turn down, probably in the $125,000 per year. Money should not be an issue over there at Farragut. Then you all will have a coach that you DESERVE and can be proud of.

I see have-no's point but.... Coaches can only place the players in the position to make a play. It is up to the players to make the play. Many bleacher QB's don't see the bigger picture and don't always know the scheme of things, or why a field coach has called what he has called.

If players don't want to dedicate themselves to improving the best that they have the ability to do, that is another matter. I drive by Maryville's fields often I and I can tell you many of the kids on the team and a few others who are not will be out there throwing the skin around without any coaches in sight. During times that other young men are doing other things.

Hard work is what it takes to get there and even harder work must be done to stay there.