MBA vs MUS

oldgoldandorange91

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tough night for the big red. MUS just too efficient.

MBA moved it all night but couldn't convert in the red zone. MUS could do no wrong on MBA side of the field. Glad Brunetti is gone, for sure. He's as good as there's been in the state.

Huge holding penalty on MBA which negated 1st and 10 from MUS 12, 0-0 in 1st. that led to a long missed FG. Can't do that when you're the underdog.

Really wasn't much of a contest in the 2nd half. Brunetti had all day in the pocket and just eventually knifed through the MBA secondary.

Congrats MUS!

Not sure where your getting your initial observation (though I understand the judges are giving credit for the answer "An enormous well of bitterness.") It was a one TD lead in the 4th quarter and 2 TD's with 8 minutes left, pretty similar to how things looked against your team at the same point. Recall, if you will, how that turned out.

That said, clearly the better team won. MUS doesn't look at all impressive: they're not especially big. Going back to the '70's, they look like a modest AA team. I probably wouldn't have to look very long to find a larger 9th grade team.

But their execution is impressive. Aside from a late hit out of bounds on the first possession (probably nerves more than malice), they made no real mistakes. MBA had their chances, and certainly the weather favored them (Brunetti couldn't have been at all comfortable out there). MBA really only made one mistake of any consequence. But MUS didn't make any.

Congratulations to an outstanding MUS team on a well-deserved championship. And congratulations to a very scrappy and overachieving MBA team. Excellent game and excellent season.

Really wasn't much of a contest in the 2nd half. Brunetti had all day in the pocket and just eventually knifed through the MBA secondary.

Congrats MUS!

Not sure where your getting your initial observation (though I understand the judges are giving credit for the answer "An enormous well of bitterness.") It was a one TD lead in the 4th quarter and 2 TD's with 8 minutes left, pretty similar to how things looked against your team at the same point. Recall, if you will, how that turned out.

That said, clearly the better team won. MUS doesn't look at all impressive: they're not especially big. Going back to the '70's, they look like a modest AA team. I probably wouldn't have to look very long to find a larger 9th grade team.

But their execution is impressive. Aside from a late hit out of bounds on the first possession (probably nerves more than malice), they made no real mistakes. MBA had their chances, and certainly the weather favored them (Brunetti couldn't have been at all comfortable out there). MBA really only made one mistake of any consequence. But MUS didn't make any.

Congratulations to an outstanding MUS team on a well-deserved championship. And congratulations to a very scrappy and overachieving MBA team. Excellent game and excellent season.

Look, if you can't get pressure on Brunetti you can't win, and MBA didn't and they lost. MBA's offense started well offensively in the second half but there was no way MBA could get back in it with the way they played defense in the last 24 minutes.

Congrats to MUS. Thought MBA played pretty well. The penalties that stalled MBA's early drive, the faulty snap on the FG, and the fumbled punt are hard to overcome when you play a good team like the Owls, but the Big Red kept fighting and were in it for the whole game. This year's team has a lot to be proud of. Hats off to them as well.

Congrats MUS!

This was a great and sad game to watch. Though I go to Ensworth, I was pulling hard for MBA. This was a great display by both teams minus MBA getting the flu almost every time they got in the Red Zone. I was thoroughly impressed with MBA's QB and some of the amazing and clutch passes he made to Tanner, Mobley, and Bars who had minimal drops. Lassing really tore it up from every position tonight and showed why he is the best all-around player on the field.

Enough cannot be said about the precision and mechanics of this MUS team. As you pointed out they hardly have anybody over 210 pounds besides their offensive line, but they are the most football knowledgeable and skilled players. I don't know if that is a result of coaching or just the way they are, but that is what elevates them to an elite status. Brunetti is just to good for this level of football. Yes he made a couple errant throws, but normally he threw on the dot bullets to the proper receiver and the threw the secondary off with his eyes and body movement. He will make a big impact at the next level. Also his receivers and running backs are very good and always were on the same page with him. They seem like a well oiled machine.

All in all I think the two teams who deserved it made it to the championship and it was a great game.

Congratulation to MUS on a well deserved State Championship. Staying undefeated against the schedule you played is a real accomplishment. I was impressed by Brunetti's arm, but i am sorry (maybe I'm not really sorry) he was not 100%. MUS plays the 33 stack as well as anyone I have seen. MBA should have been able to pound the rock right up the gut but they really had a hard time. Those small defensive linemen played a tremendous game.

To the MBA boys. You had a great season, and accomplished great things. You overcame much adversity to reach the highest stage this state has to offer. Be proud of all you have done.

MBA is going to bring MUS back to reality. MBA has had an outstanding run in the playoffs, and I don't think it stops with MUS.

MBA 24 - MUS 18

Hadouken,

Based on your other posts, it's apparent that you have grossly miscalculated MUS' true strength. The conclusions that you drew about MUS (after a sub-standard performance vs Father Ryan) are woefully faulty.

I've seen MUS play three different times this season versus quality competition, including their impressive victory over South Panola.... Trust me when I tell you--MUS is anything but overrated! Their typical Gold-Standard performance was on display in all those games, and most others.

No disrespect to Father Ryan, but MUS' performance in that game was an aberration.

-------------------------------------

MUS 28 -- MBA 17

Congratulations to the Memphis University School Owls: Back-to-Back State Champs!

Great season MBA.

Congrats Owls.

Now for an observation from the game......Why didn't MBA put more pressure on the MUS QB?

At times they just rushed 3 defensive players. Didn't see a lot of stunting and blitzing from MBA.

MUS's caliber QB will eat you alive if you don't pressure him some.

You worry about a QB that can run when blitzing but it was obvious he was not going to run.

MBA's #23 should had been in the running for DII back of the year. Not only is he a strong running back but he is the leader that every team needs to succeed. I was waiting for #23 to throw a halfback pass for a TD like he had during the 2 playoff games.

Congrats to the Owls. Worthy champs.

Check out the "What if Alcoa and Maryville played again now??" thread on the 3A/4a boards - quite a bit of grasping at straws. I would take solace in the fact the chosen team of some of the fans who were not impressed with MUS is coming off of a 0 passing yards and 177 total yards offensive performance in its championship game. I'm not sure what was not to be impressed about with MUS's multi-dimensional, mistake-free game last night against a team who had just beat two very hot teams itself.

Anyway, as is the case every year, the "best in state" debate will occur now, with homers boosting their teams and the naysayers going against the teams they hate. Nevertheless, while the battle will not be decided on the field, MUS will be the highest ranked and highest rated team out of Tennessee when all of the rankings and ratings are finalized over the coming days. Based on an entire body of work, that consensus will be fully justified. At the very least, I'm sure the entire unbiased population of Batesville, MS, will wholeheartedly agree.