ALCOA VS. MILAN, Let's get this started!!

MilanDog9

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have been reading all this back and forth nonsense from both sides. It seems like all the Milan people keep wanting facts and evidence to back up statements. How bout this:

Milan's 2009 schedule(with team record) :

Fri Aug. 21 Jackson Christian 4-6(class A)

Fri Aug. 28 at Huntingdon 8-4(class A)

Fri Sep. 4 Westview 7-5

Fri Sep. 11 Humboldt 7-5(class A)

Fri Sep. 18 at Gibson Co. 0-10

Fri Sep. 25 at Peabody 5-5(class A)

Fri Oct. 2 Ripley 4-6

Fri Oct. 16 Dyersburg 5-6

Fri Oct. 23 at Covington 2-8

Fri Oct. 30 at Crockett Co. 11-2

Fri Nov. 6 Stewart Co. 6-5

Fri Nov. 13 Oakhaven 6-6

Fri Nov. 20 Camden Central 11-2

Fri Nov. 27 York Institute 10-4

Milan played "4" teams with a winning record during the regular season and of those 4 teams, 2 of them were 7-5 being just 1 game away from .500 and 2 of them were single A classified teams! In the playoffs, Milan played #51 Stewart Co with a 6-5 record, #64 Oakhaven with a 6-6 record, #8 Camden Central with a 11-2 record(quality opponent), and #24 York Institute with a 10-4 record. Total record of teams played in the playoffs: 33 wins and 17 losses. Overall, the 2 teams ranked the highest and with the best record that Milan has played is #14 Crockett Co at 11-2 and #8 Camden Central at 11-2...if you look at these 2 teams closer, you will see that Crockett Co played the #88 ranked schedule and Camden Central played the #58 ranked schedule. Milan has also only played away from home 5 times this year and 1 of those being at 0-10 Gibson Co. If you look closer at Milan's schedule(ranked #46 toughest in AA by the way) of teams played, Milan's wins, and opponents wins and losses...it is not as impressive as thier record indicates.

Now, with that being said...I think Milan is a very good football team and has a great set of linebackers! Being 14-0, is a big accomplishment and Milan is very deserving of being where they are going to be this friday eve. I am simply trying to provide some facts and records to back up some statements from us "uneducated" East Tennessee fans as to why we think Loudon(notice the O and not the E in the spelling) and CAK could compete and possibly beat Milan too.

Lets look at our Tornadoes for a minute. We opened up on the road at #1 ranked and defending 4A kentucky state champions(15-0) Bell Co who is 13-1(only loss to Alcoa). The next week, we played #1 ranked 6A Maryville(who in some polls are ranked in top 50 in the nation). Maryville is 13-1 heading into thier state champ game with thier only loss a 41-24 defeat by Alcoa. We then played #13 Loudon which is another one of our big rivals before playing the Fulton Falcons whom were the preseason #1 team in thier class(AAA) in the state(currently #16). We then played through 4 games of opponents who had below .500 records. We finished up against McMinn Central who was ranked #8 in the state when we played and then for the region championship against #3 ranked and undefeated CAK. We played #36 Tyner 6-5, #5 CAK 10-2(both losses to Alcoa), #13 Loudon 10-3(1 loss to CAK and 2 from Alcoa), and #9 Elizabethton(1 loss to CAK, 1 to a North Carolina team, and other to Alcoa) in the playoffs. Our strength of schedule is #2(dont see how!!!???).

Also, 6 of the "chump teams we demolish" every week had schedules ranked in the top 20 toughest...including CAK at #14! For that matter, Loudon also played a tougher schedule than did Milan. Loudon also went on the road in the playoffs and defeated previously undefeated Polk Co whom was ranked at #3 just 1 spot below Milan. All of this is some evidence and some facts that help support our OPINION of why we think CAK and Loudon could play with and beat Milan. However, like I said earlier Milan is a good team(just like CAK and Loudon), is 14-0 and going to the state championship game...they just get the break of being on the other side of the state!

Now that we have given some things to back up our side...PLEASE, do tell us the stats and reasoning that back up your statements about us playing "chump teams" and that teams in your region would beat teams in ours????

Wow...you have mastered the use of the internet well, Dr. Phil. Truth is, NOBODY said that East TN football was not good. Milan, as previously stated, played the hand they were dealt..as did Alcoa. You know there IS a way we can find out if Loudon and CAK can beat Milan..you guys beat Alcoa, then we will beat you. Next...

I have watched Alcoa 9 times this year and he's played maybe 10 quarters all year at linebacker. So yea I'm pretty sure. Also Alcoa will have a chip on their shoulders after the results of the Mr Football awards. This team and its players will want to prove something. Not that the players that won didn't deserve it because they had great seasons as well. However Toney's performances in the big games cannot be denied. Prepare for a statement performance!!! :wacko:

Wanna talk about a chip being on a shoulder?? Ask Milan. They get no respect for going 14-0 two years in a row. I don't believe anyone has gotten on here and said they will blow Alcoa away, the way Alcoa is talking about them.

average Alcoa fan: "Milan will be another tick mark. They can't hang, not even close..Alcoa by 30"

average Milan fan: "Milan will have to play perfect football, and hope for some breaks. Alcoa is great..Milan by 3-7"

Now tell me what highschool football fan would NOT pick their team in this situation. If you don't, I dare call you a fan. Rest assured Milan knows whats in front of them, but that doesn't mean they are timid, and that doesn't mean their fans don't believe in them. I honestly believe Milan can and WILL hang with this Alcoa team all game, even though I haven't seen a game in person all year from either team. You don't think Avery Williamson has a chip on his shoulder?? Who most teams Milan played this year, call the best LB in the state! I wouldn't doubt if he broke his own record on you guys this year. You talk about your DL being so good..I am SURE it is, they were great last year. But I hope you have some strong DB's...because they are gonna get a hefty dose of a Gilbert stiffarm. Milan has the tools and the coaches to win this game. I have said for 6 weeks now, Milan 24- Alcoa 21, and maybe not a last second field goal..but the kicking game will be deciding factor. ie. field position. GO DAWGS!! :lol:

An awful lot of folks guaranteeing things in which they have no control over. Anyone care to talk matchups?

Obviously the big question is can the Milan O and D lines get some push. However, I will also be interested in seeing the performance of some of the not so big names players. We're gonna have to show some things other than Gilbert and Williamson up the middle. Tim Adkisson could be an X-factor for Milan. I think we take advantage of his speed and versatility on offense, also could come up big if Alcoa elects to kick it to him. Need him and Trey Milan to play run support from the safetys without giving up a big, trick play. Curious how much Coach Morris will throw the ball and if he intends on running Ryan any. I think Moore, Vandiver, and Adkisson could be a problem for Alcoa in the passing game. It also sounds like we have the advantage in Moody.

Wah wah wah wah wah....

I'm so tired of reading Loudon and CAK are this and that and Milan can't beat them. Truth is, Milan doesn't have to WORRY about beating them until they can beat Alcoa! Because as long as Alcoa is around, CAK and Loudon will never know what it's like to play in a championship game, or face Milan.

IMO, Classes are just numbers based upon the number of kids in your school. It would be entirely possible for a 1A school with great athletes to beat a 6A school with great athletes. The number of kids in the school has no direct correlation on how good one paticular player is. The ONLY difference is, as the 'A's get higher, so do the number of athletes you have to chose from.

There's this little bitty game over here we play called Alcoa vs Maryville. See, everyone praises Alcoas talent but for some reason we've only beat Maryville 3 times since 1993. Now are you saying that Alcoa doesnt have the athletes to play with Maryville? Maryville wasnt always a 4a/6a powerhouse. There have been a lot of great athletes that have come though Alcoa that never beat Maryville. See the key was 10 years ago, Alcoa would dress out 40 players (we had around 300-400 enrollment) and Maryville would dress out 40 SENIORS. Larger schools (on average) have a much bigger advantage because the percentage of people playing football is higher. If you can sub 1 guy in for 2 plays and give another guy 3 minutes to rest that can mean the world in football. Depth is a HUGE factor in most football games. Elizabethton has some great athletes on their team but you could clearly see when their team was on the field during pre game and they were out numbered by alcoa on the other side (and the linemen were still in the locker room) that it was going to be a beat down (physically).

Go back and check the scores of Alcoa-Maryville games from '93 to 2000. Look at how bad Alcoa would get beat down in most of the games. Then go look at the past 5-6 years when Alcoa has had depth. Sure we might lose the game still but its no longer 49-14 is 21-17

Hm....I, as a Milan fan, have been pegged as "cocky, arrogant, pompous idiot", yet I make a GENERAL statement, and it SOMEHOW manages to get turned into Alcoa/Maryville talk.

My point with this post, and i didn't state it clearly, is I believe classes should be based upon number of players, not school size. What happens if you have a team of 60 guys, but the school is 75% female. Not quite fair to move them to a higher classification.

I don't know...made sense at the time....doesn't now....could be the 13 hour days at work! :wacko:

Alcoas not unbeatable.... Wasn't it just 7-3 entering the 4th quarter two weeks ago? In the 3rd round?

What did they do to slow Alcoa down?

Something Milan can not do...............stop Alcoa's :wacko: run game!

BCsportsfan, I will have to disagree with you slightly. My guys from Loudon did not stop the Alcoa Run Game! We may have slowed it down a little but if you look at the yardage I'd say they racked up some #'s. The entire 3rd Qtr was played on Loudon's end of the field.

Yes, but Loudon's line was the biggest, most physical line Alcoa faced. Betsy studied the film of the Alcoa/Loudon game in detail because of Loudon's success in "slowing down Alcoa run game". The problem, Betsy did not have the horses to do the same thing. Milan's line is much better than Betsy's........but not as big and physical as Loudon's. On paper Milan's defense is similar to CAK's. And they had a great defense. Milan says depth will not be an issue? But, In all of Alcoa's games the other teams where gassed in the late 3rd and 4th qtrs. The continued pounding of the rock with long drives, over and over for 4 qtrs takes it's toll. Alcoa played some great teams...........can Milan slow Alcoa run game down for 4 qtrs??? :lol:

Cool Bulldog! :lol:

Bee Cee whut iz thiz werld comin' two???.......Furst hits water skeein' squirrulls, then last week jackhammerin' beavers, and now this......Eye'm lucky if "Blue", my ol souphound, can remimbur whur hiz water dish iz (momma leeves tha lid up fer him) and if mommaSTARS little lap dog "Chuck" don't jump off momma's lap and attack tha TV when'st he's watchin' Bud Bundy on Married Wif Childrun wif momma....... :wacko:

I believe there is one area which most of us on both sides have in common. We are pretty rabid Vol fans. I suspect there are alot on both sides that don't understand why several of the players on both sides of the ball are not recruited by UT. Just look how hard each plays for their respective home schools. I would think that UT would want some of our home grown talent. It is a shame that players from Milan and Alcoa have to leave the state to play on the same team at the next level. I personally believe they would play harder than out of state players and be less likely to get into trouble. In the past there have been several players from Milan that have been fairly successful at UT. Yet it seems as though they are hardly ever recruited by UT anymore. Just wonder what is the sentiment in K'town's back yard. Do you think things will be different with Kiff. at the helm?

Well...come next football season Kentucky will have 3 former Alcoa players and Tennessee will have 1. Kiff had better even that out.

Cool Bulldog! :D

Bee Cee whut iz thiz werld comin' two???.......Furst hits water skeein' squirrulls, then last week jackhammerin' beavers, and now this......Eye'm lucky if "Blue", my ol souphound, can remimbur whur hiz water dish iz (momma leeves tha lid up fer him) and if mommaSTARS little lap dog "Chuck" don't jump off momma's lap and attack tha TV when'st he's watchin' Bud Bundy on Married Wif Childrun wif momma....... :lol:

Yup, I node wur uz cumin frum. My ol dog "Jack" can rite his name in'a snow! :wacko: yuns belif that?! :D