Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

Exactly, big doesn't always mean physical. This is where all the conditioning and weight lifting comes into play. Maryville has an excellent system and it went into overdrive once the amazing Don Story athletic center was built. Those kids are ready and will be able to match up with anyone White Station lines up. All the talk last week was about how big Riverdale was and how they would control the line of scrimmage and they were run off the ball all night.

Don Story - thats a name I haven't heard used with Maryville football in a while. He was one heck of a coach, wasn't he? Giving back to Maryville High after retirement - one real fine man.

I met him when I was a student at MMS. He came back to the schools and took the job as the bus coordinator. When you realize that this guy left MCS did well on the Stock Market and came back to still give his time to make sure the busses ran on schedule and the kids were taken care of, it means a lot. I believe he financed that weight center. That is part of the winning tradition of Maryville, selfless men and women taking their time to help make these young men better. Coach Ellis could have any head coaching job in this state, as well as Coach Gaylor. GQ should be coaching in atleast 1-AA right now.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reading through this thread, there are several things that I've found interesting and/or wondered about.

First, in all of Maryville's championship games, I wonder how many times the Rebels have actually been favored by the media or by general consensus. For those who have not been close to the program, you might think that the mighty "Goliath" of Maryville has always been expected to win, but those of us who have been around awhile know that is not the case. It seems that in most years until the past couple, MHS has been told by everyone that they don't play anybody all season, that the streak ends here, and that they just don't have the athletes to play with whoever they're about to face. It is a very interesting role reversal to be on the other side of the conversation and having so many people telling you the game's already in the bag.

Secondly, this matchup worries me a little bit. I've never seen WS play football, but I've seen them playing on the hardwood and I know they've got athletes down there. The other teams I've seen Maryville match up against from Memphis have always been fast and athletic, and that has given MHS some difficulty at times although they've typically been able to contain. This year's Rebel squad doesn't have some of the same speed and talent that their former state championship teams have had. They've got all the heart in the world, great coaching, good talent, phenomenal execution, solid leadership and all of that, but still I've seen us have trouble with the run, know that our team speed is down a little bit this year, and also know that we've had a tough time against mobile quarterbacks at times (i.e. Oak Ridge). So, while I think the Rebels will get the W, there is reason to believe this will be a game after all regardless of all the talk from the Middle and West of the state.

That may have been true about Maryville when they were in 4A. Their strength-of-schedule was often questioned, on this forum.... Well, Maryville still won countless Championships!

Now that Maryville has finally gotten around to playing and, ultimately, smacking around all the so-called "Big Boys" (6A)....there is no doubt in my mind, given human nature and plain ol' common sense, that Maryville is now widely considered to be THE ultimate Big Boy--Goliath!

Little ol' Memphis White Station is up next....take its turn at knocking off the baddest "Big Boy" of 'em all, Maryville!

White Station is ready. They have been preparing for the epic battle, all year long. There is nothing more that they can do, at this point. Let the Giant... I mean, let the CHIPS fall where they may! :roflolk:

Exactly, big doesn't always mean physical. This is where all the conditioning and weight lifting comes into play. Maryville has an excellent system and it went into overdrive once the amazing Don Story athletic center was built. Those kids are ready and will be able to match up with anyone White Station lines up. All the talk last week was about how big Riverdale was and how they would control the line of scrimmage and they were run off the ball all night.

Don Story - thats a name I haven't heard used with Maryville football in a while. He was one heck of a coach, wasn't he? Giving back to Maryville High after retirement - one real fine man.

I met him when I was a student at MMS. He came back to the schools and took the job as the bus coordinator. When you realize that this guy left MCS did well on the Stock Market and came back to still give his time to make sure the busses ran on schedule and the kids were taken care of, it means a lot. I believe he financed that weight center. That is part of the winning tradition of Maryville, selfless men and women taking their time to help make these young men better. Coach Ellis could have any head coaching job in this state, as well as Coach Gaylor. GQ should be coaching in atleast 1-AA right now.

You are right. He gave 100k to Maryville High (for the weight center), 100K to Maryville College, 100k to his church and recently 50K to the local animal shelter if I remember the numbers correctly. Yes, Maryville has a great winning tradition and big support from their followers.

In reading through this thread, there are several things that I've found interesting and/or wondered about.

First, in all of Maryville's championship games, I wonder how many times the Rebels have actually been favored by the media or by general consensus. For those who have not been close to the program, you might think that the mighty "Goliath" of Maryville has always been expected to win, but those of us who have been around awhile know that is not the case. It seems that in most years until the past couple, MHS has been told by everyone that they don't play anybody all season, that the streak ends here, and that they just don't have the athletes to play with whoever they're about to face. It is a very interesting role reversal to be on the other side of the conversation and having so many people telling you the game's already in the bag.

Secondly, this matchup worries me a little bit. I've never seen WS play football, but I've seen them playing on the hardwood and I know they've got athletes down there. The other teams I've seen Maryville match up against from Memphis have always been fast and athletic, and that has given MHS some difficulty at times although they've typically been able to contain. This year's Rebel squad doesn't have some of the same speed and talent that their former state championship teams have had. They've got all the heart in the world, great coaching, good talent, phenomenal execution, solid leadership and all of that, but still I've seen us have trouble with the run, know that our team speed is down a little bit this year, and also know that we've had a tough time against mobile quarterbacks at times (i.e. Oak Ridge). So, while I think the Rebels will get the W, there is reason to believe this will be a game after all regardless of all the talk from the Middle and West of the state.

That may have been true about Maryville when they were in 4A. Their strength-of-schedule was often questioned, on this forum.... Well, Maryville still won countless Championships!

Now that Maryville has finally gotten around to playing and, ultimately, smacking around all the so-called "Big Boys" (6A)....there is no doubt in my mind, given human nature and plain ol' common sense, that Maryville is now widely considered to be THE ultimate Big Boy--Goliath!

Little ol' Memphis White Station is up next....take its turn at knocking off the baddest "Big Boy" of 'em all, Maryville!

White Station is ready. They have been preparing for the epic battle, all year long. There is nothing more that they can do, at this point. Let the Giant... I mean, let the CHIPS fall where they may! :roflolk:

The majority of years Maryville faced a lot stiffer competition getting to that "Little Ol 4A " title game . I can think of several Mo West , Central , Red Bank , & Powell teams that would probably be In the same spot Maryville Is right now ..... sorry if that upsets any of the " Big Boys " .

You are right. He gave 100k to Maryville High (for the weight center), 100K to Maryville College, 100k to his church and recently 50K to the local animal shelter if I remember the numbers correctly. Yes, Maryville has a great winning tradition and big support from their followers.

And he gave 20K two all the elementary schools in Maryville...When my Dad passed in 2001....He was the first one at the funeral home.....Coach and his wife Carol are great people and they show the love for others in a very Christlike manner..... :roflolk:

White Station is ready. They have been preparing for the epic battle, all year long. There is nothing more that they can do, at this point. Let the Giant... I mean, let the CHIPS fall where they may! :bored:

I hear what you're saying, I'm just not sure that I follow your logic. Tell me if this summation is an accurate reflection of what you intended to say: Maryville was questionable in 4A and often found themselves as the underdog in championship games, but now that they are in 6A (although they are younger and greener and not coming off a championship season last year) they are now the undeniable team to beat in 6A.

I'd just have to disagree with that.

Coming into this year, expectations for this Rebel team were at an all time low. I've never seen such consistent, dramatic improvement in any team from week 1 until now as this one. And I've never been prouder of any group that MHS has fielded in the years I've been following them. I don't know this group of kids nearly as well as I have some in the past, but their character shines through from field level up to the stands, and I'm honored to get to see it. Having said all of that, they are a very young team who was playing a class down a year ago. Just getting to the dance in no way in my mind makes them automatically the homecoming king.

The road to the championship will be more difficult for Maryville on a week to week basis in 6A than it was in 4A. There are no off weeks anymore at all. And while I agree with some other MHS posters that in some years another 4A team could have replaced this year's Rebel squad and still made it this far (I'm thinking of Central), I think those examples are few and far between. Right now I'm just happy to be here. If you'd told me after week one we'd be playing for the first Gold Ball in Tennessee 6A football, I'd have asked for a hit on whatever you were smoking.

Have the Rebels proven a point? Yes.

Are they now a shoe-in? No way.

Go Rebels!